• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon GF V3 vs V4 movement

proc

Horology Curious
21/2/22
Checking in with a few weeks of wearing the GF v4, really enjoying it! feels great on the wrist and obviously looks beautiful. The one thing I'm kind of surprised and disappointed with is the lack of tang/deployant clasp on the rose gold models, though that is how gen is. The SS models definitely have it better there.

Reactions: stuxnet

stuxnet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/21
Checking in with a few weeks of wearing the GF v4, really enjoying it! feels great on the wrist and obviously looks beautiful. The one thing I'm kind of surprised and disappointed with is the lack of tang/deployant clasp on the rose gold models, though that is how gen is. The SS models definitely have it better there.

Thank you very much for the feedback mate, your input is very important to those who are still hesitating to chose from RG vs SS model.

common

Horology Curious
16/3/22
I’m loving the watch too. I think it’s GF v4. I did have a motorbike accident only two days after receiving it that scratched the rose gold bezel a smidgen, but I believe it can be polished off later. As far as my eyes can tell without a magnifying glass, it looks beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZhiJay

Looking Around
25/3/21
For those of you with either the GF or the ZF - does the date function as gen i.e. when crossing 12mn or does it only change when adjusted with crown (as seems described by Trusty's website)?

iff0

Horology Curious
15/11/15
20220417-231237.jx6tEQ

My beauty:
https://clickpix.org/image/20220417-231237.jx6tEQ

I bought this beauty GF v3 or v4 (not really sure) a few months ago (November 2021) and I want to share my two cents with you if you are planning to buy:
  1. Pay attention to the "JL" logo color, mine is heavily black (which I just noticed today). Bugs me a little that in all of the pics I saw before and see now the "JL" is silver (in the silver version). Not something that detracts from the overall look, but just beware in your QC pics. You may say that in my pic it looks silvery, but that's maximum silvery, in real life is quite black from every angle.
  2. Does somebody know if any factory is planning to update the "JL" to match the Gen (current iteration, at least)? In the current Gen, they are solid metal pieces and in my GF and in all of the models I have seen lately it's only printed. I happen to have an early not-really thin replica version from many years ago (24h indicator instead proper moon-phase) and in that one the "JL" are nice solid pieces of metal, I'm sure the factories can match that again.
My best regards.

Reactions: PunkRockDoc

iff0

Horology Curious
15/11/15
For those of you with either the GF or the ZF - does the date function as gen i.e. when crossing 12mn or does it only change when adjusted with crown (as seems described by Trusty's website)?

I have not checked Trusty's website and I might be misunderstanding you but let see if I can help you, the date changes in 3 scenarios:
  1. While working as usual at 0:00 a.m.
  2. While setting up the hour using the crown and you get pass the 0:00 hours.
  3. Using the the recessed button at 4 specifically designed to adjust the date.
I have issues to adjust the date using the button if the hour hand is near past 12, but is not really a problem.

Last edited:

ZhiJay

Looking Around
25/3/21
I have not checked Trusty's website and I might be misunderstanding you but let see if I can help you, the date changes in 3 scenarios:
  1. While working as usual at 0:00 a.m.
  2. While setting up the hour using the crown and you get pass the 0:00 hours.
  3. Using the the recessed button at 4 specifically designed to adjust the date.
I have issues to adjust the date using the button if the hour hand is near past 12, but is not really a problem.

Thanks for your reply! Does the moon move as per above as well or must it be moved manually?

iff0

Horology Curious
15/11/15
Thanks for your reply! Does the moon move as per above as well or must it be moved manually?

No worries, we are a community. The moon behaves just like the date (1, 2 and 3 ways to change it) and the only difference is that the recessed button is at 8.

Kokolol

Horology Curious
12/6/22
What would be the characteristics to look for to identify the clone from the miyota movement? I'm preparing to order this one and want to be able to identify if it's V3 or V4. Thanks

stuxnet

31/3/21
What would be the characteristics to look for to identify the clone from the miyota movement? I'm preparing to order this one and want to be able to identify if it's V3 or V4. Thanks

Hi, the V3 is no longer manufactured by GF. They only produce the lattest V4 version of the UTM.

The difference between clone and Miyota 9015 version can be easily spotted in the center like the picture below. There are more tells but this one is the easiest.

Cheers.

laocheebye

Looking Around
19/7/22
Hi, the V3 is no longer manufactured by GF. They only produce the lattest V4 version of the UTM.

The difference between clone and Miyota 9015 version can be easily spotted in the center like the picture below. There are more tells but this one is the easiest.

Cheers.

Most of the China reviewers are saying that the clone movement GF is the best version out of all the MUT. It is because lack of supply from Dandong that GF produced the Miyota 9015 version again. In China there is no real GF V3 or V4. It is only clone 925 or Miyota GF difference.

Reactions: iff0

Iser2321

Looking Around
1/5/22
What dealer are you guys going with? Have used toro in the past but he’s no longer taking PayPal.

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
This has always been one of my fav watches especially the black dial one, I owned 2 ZF but imho GF is better, the only thing that i Hate is that they can't get the AR coating right, the genuine has a deep dark blue colour while the ZF has it turquoise. The GF is colorless and it's one of the biggest tell.
The white dial is the way to go.

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Hi, I’m thinking about steel with white / silver dial. It seems that GF v4 and ZF / AZF are two option now in September 2022. Is GF the best option now?

taktloss

22/12/19
I own the GF V3 with original strap and I like it to be with a Miyota :) Since it can be replaced or repaired by any watchsmith and eventhough a watch enthusiast believes that his watch is going to be the main topic in every conversation and therefore it will be important to have a geniuine movement nothing of that will happen. Most people will think it's a Daniel Wellington anyway ...

therefore I prefer Miyota, as long as there is no functional reason which makes the china clone a better movement :)

Regards

sandas1002

30/9/22
SPAIN
About to pull the trigger on a JLC Ultra Thin Moon GF V4. According to Andrew at TT its got a Miyota which I prefer since a repair or a service should be easier even if its a modified 9015. Just can't decide between the black or white. Each time I look at the pictures I change my mind :unsure:

sandas1002

30/9/22
SPAIN
Finally went with the white GF version 4 in white/silver from TT. I spend a long time reading the ZF vs GF comments and finally the improved moon won me over. Will post a photo once I get, still waiting for the QC stage to begin.

Reactions: emitper

Saul Goodman

Supporter
20/1/19
Germany
Looks like my moonphase is stuck. Quickset not working and also not when setting time. I am thinking about getting it repaired but wondered if anyone could help me to check what kind of movement it is. Help much appreciated :)

sandas1002

30/9/22
SPAIN
Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. Im still new here but I did read through many posts and yours looks like the Mioyota 9015 so should be easy to get fixed. There is a post showing the difference between the clone movement and the Miyota - the clone has a little screw or hole right in the middle of the blue screws for the rotor.
Probably someone more knowledgeable will confirm.

Im still waiting for QC on mine but it should come with the Miyota as well.

If you can, please update us here on how it goes with getting it fixed.