• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon GF V3 vs V4 movement

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Hi, I'm back in the rep game after some time off and decided the GF MUT is my next purchase (for the superior moon). Having read through the entire 133pg thread and the other threads on the matter some questions remained unanswered around the GF MUT and was hoping someone more informed could help in the matter.

Firstly, what is the movement in the V4 GF? So far I've been told:
- It's the modified Miyota 9015 (same as ZF)
- It's a clone movement
- It's a citizen movement.
The dealers seem to think it's the 9015 but some members here say otherwise...

Apart from the movement are there any differences between the V4 and the V2/V3?

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Would be interested in that as well. If there is no info here, then nowhere :D

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
So I've reached out to four TDs. I've unanimously received feedback that it's a Miyota 9015. I have no idea how the other members got the clone/citizen info. So I'll just assume those are rumours and that it's a Miyota 9015. Unless anybody with the GF V4 can confirm?

Anyhow, I'll be placing an order shortly and will update.

Reactions: Pene75

theilusion

Horology Curious
19/3/21
Hi greenbeans, how did you get on with your order? Did you get the watch? How is it looking?
cheers

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Hi greenbeans, how did you get on with your order? Did you get the watch? How is it looking?
cheers

Great timing lol, I'm just looking at my QC pics.

Having gone through all the UTM threads here, something I've never seen mentioned but I've now discovered is that the rotors on the ZF looks better than the GF. The 'JL' logo is inset around the border on the ZF but not the on the GF, where it looks much more flat. It's not a big issue, I'd take the better moon any day. But feel it's important to share to compare all the differences. (Second image is from my QC, first image is taken from this forum of a ZF).

Currently asking Lana to resend me photos as the centre of the rotor looks like it has burr marks to the right, but could be light. Let's see.

Untitled.png

QC_-_back.jpg

Last edited:

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Actually scrap my last comment about the ZF having a better rotor. Just had a look at some gens, it's closer in look to the GF :thumbsup: Pic of gen:
Untitled.png

Last edited:

tlander13

1/11/20
USA
I've had both (ZF and GF) within the past few months. I ordered a GF v4 after a TD said it was a miyota 9015 (wanted this not a clone so that I can repair it if/when it ever needs it) - I had wanted the GF for the gray dial. I can confirm that the GF was not a miyota 9015. Picture of the GF movement below.

I posted a similar comment a few months back on one of the other related threads and an RWI user that will not be named apparently was so offended by me saying it was not a miyota 9015 that he needed to follow up and express how terrible I was via pm.
jykZnQ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PunkRockDoc

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
I've had both (ZF and GF) within the past few months. I ordered a GF v4 after a TD said it was a miyota 9015 (wanted this not a clone so that I can repair it if/when it ever needs it) - I had wanted the GF for the gray dial. I can confirm that the GF is not a miyota 9015. Picture of the GF movement below.

I posted a similar comment a few months back on one of the other related threads and an RWI user that will not be named apparently was so offended by me saying it was not a miyota 9015 that he needed to follow up and express how terrible I was via pm.

Thanks a lot for sharing!
As a relatively new member, it baffles me how some members on here can get so tribal on hearing facts that aren't overwhelmingly positive about their favourite rep, or TD. I thought the purpose was to share all info to give members a full picture to be informed!

In that case, do you have any more info on the movement? As in, if it's based on a particular movement? Or is it a complete clone movement?
I just ordered 2x GFV4 (still in QC), while not a dealbreaker would be good to plan ahead for servicing etc.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Guys some help, please. Just for a sanity check. Am I being too picky? Just rejected a watch for bad finishing on the rotor. Would you accept?

annotated2.png

shadysimoon

Known Member
6/1/20
U.E.
personally, I would have accepted
it on your wrist...
who will zoom in on the rotor...
the overall look, the impression of the logo and the alignment of the indexes are most important.

the dust on the bottom right worries me more
next to the 5 bars

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
personally, I would have accepted
it on your wrist...
who will zoom in on the rotor...
the overall look, the impression of the logo and the alignment of the indexes are most important.

the dust on the bottom right worries me more
next to the 5 bars

Hmm ok thanks, I'll see what she comes back with. Yeah you're right, the dust does look like it's inside the case as it looks a little flattened. Anyhow, I've rejected the watch, she came back and said it was just the light, but I insisted now I'm waiting.
annotated2.png

Last edited:

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Hmm ok thanks, I'll see what she comes back with. Yeah you're right, the dust does look like it's inside the case as it looks a little flattened. Anyhow, I've rejected the watch, she came back and said it was just the light, but I insisted now I'm waiting.
annotated2.png

[mention]greenbeans [/mention] I hate to ask directly but in your research, what differentiates the V3 from the V4? I’ve been staring at pics of the two side by side for a while now and I really don’t see any major differences.

V4: https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=23129

V3: https://puretimewatch.io/watch-bran...hite-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a925-v3.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
[mention]greenbeans [/mention] I hate to ask directly but in your research, what differentiates the V3 from the V4? I’ve been staring at pics of the two side by side for a while now and I really don’t see any major differences.

V4: https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=23129

V3: https://puretimewatch.io/watch-bran...hite-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a925-v3.html

No problem. Tbh I couldn't find any info on the differences after all. I looked through every page of every recent thread here, asked the dealers, asked members here. No one seems to know. I've just gone ahead and ordered the GFV4. I know it has the better moon than the ZF, but that's about it.

Even the movement in the GF is up in the air. All the dealers say it's the Miyota 9015, tlander13 said it's not a Miyota, but has since gone quiet when I asked what movement it is. So info seems to be thin on the ground for this watch...

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
If pmtu on Reddit is correct and it is a citizen movement, then the only reason I see for going for a ZF would be for the Miyota

So what exactly is the downside of having the citizen movement? Wouldn’t spare parts still be more readily available than a clone, albeit less readily available than a workhorse miyota 9015.

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
So what exactly is the downside of having the citizen movement? Wouldn’t spare parts still be more readily available than a clone, albeit less readily available than a workhorse miyota 9015.

I don't think there is a major downside. From what it looks like it's more a matter of preference. Perhaps you could argue the Miyota 9015 is the more reliable movement.

Reactions: JonathanLing91

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Thanks a lot for sharing!
As a relatively new member, it baffles me how some members on here can get so tribal on hearing facts that aren't overwhelmingly positive about their favourite rep, or TD. I thought the purpose was to share all info to give members a full picture to be informed!

In that case, do you have any more info on the movement? As in, if it's based on a particular movement? Or is it a complete clone movement?
I just ordered 2x GFV4 (still in QC), while not a dealbreaker would be good to plan ahead for servicing etc.

Thanks a lot

Just to help clear some air on the movement from what i understand, the latest from GF should be equipped with a 925 clone movement, i don't know if the the miyota9015 version is still being use but i did heard that GF has stop providing warranty service for the 9015 movement.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTEx...2hcb.profile.app.5~5!2~5~5!3~5!2~5~5!2~5!18~A

Reactions: Lolo6911