• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First IWC Big Pilot Rep please advise

genosypheus

Horology Curious
1/3/10
Singapore
looking to procure my first IWC Big Pilot rep, need some expert advice :)

according to this thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs by Omagad, IWC Big Pilot 5009-01 ZF is listed in the top category, Super Reps NWBIGs.

1) Frankens aside, what is the best Big Pilot rep that money can buy these days? is it IWC Big Pilot 5009-01 ZF?
2) is there any Supporting Vendor (similar to Marlin) or TDs that can deliver the best Big Pilot rep? Best meaning they do good QC, mod some parts, and charge extra vs just outright buying direct from big TDs like PureTime.
3) The best Big Pilot rep has 100% working Power Reserve just like the gen?
4) for the best Big Pilot rep, what are some of the flaws to lookout for vs the gen?

i bought a modded PAM 111 from Marlin (one of the Supporting Vendors) before, and i waited 10 months for it. So yes, i am willing to pay extra and wait for a long time. But please don't ask me to start a franken project, i simply don't have the know-how and connections.

Many thanks for your advice!

Reactions: reptime101

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
looking to procure my first IWC Big Pilot rep, need some expert advice :)

according to this thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs by Omagad, IWC Big Pilot 5009-01 ZF is listed in the top category, Super Reps NWBIGs.

1) Frankens aside, what is the best Big Pilot rep that money can buy these days? is it IWC Big Pilot 5009-01 ZF?
2) is there any Supporting Vendor (similar to Marlin) or TDs that can deliver the best Big Pilot rep? Best meaning they do good QC, mod some parts, and charge extra vs just outright buying direct from big TDs like PureTime.
3) The best Big Pilot rep has 100% working Power Reserve just like the gen?
4) for the best Big Pilot rep, what are some of the flaws to lookout for vs the gen?

I have had a half a dozen or so IWC'S including 2 Big Pilots so I know a little about IWC, but I wouldn't say I am authority. I'll try and shed a little light on this and hopefully be right about what I have to say.

#1As far as I know there hasn't been anything new as far as the Big Pilots for a while. I think the ZF you referred to is going to be as good as it gets.

#2 I'm sure you could find someone to mod your watch if you wanted to, but I don't believe this is a common thing with this one. It is pretty good right out of the box

#3 Power reserve works just fine, but it isn't really a 7 day power reserve. More like about 1/2 of that. No big deal at all. I would not spend 10c to improve this feature

#4 not too sure there is anything really obvious

genosypheus

Horology Curious
1/3/10
Singapore
I have had a half a dozen or so IWC'S including 2 Big Pilots so I know a little about IWC, but I wouldn't say I am authority. I'll try and shed a little light on this and hopefully be right about what I have to say.

#1As far as I know there hasn't been anything new as far as the Big Pilots for a while. I think the ZF you referred to is going to be as good as it gets.

#2 I'm sure you could find someone to mod your watch if you wanted to, but I don't believe this is a common thing with this one. It is pretty good right out of the box

#3 Power reserve works just fine, but it isn't really a 7 day power reserve. More like about 1/2 of that. No big deal at all. I would not spend 10c to improve this feature

#4 not too sure there is anything really obvious

Thanks Nanook65 !

will IWC Big Pilot 5009-12 ZF be just as good? i realized i much prefer the version with the numeric "9" (5009-12) vs just a marker (5009-01)

like this https://puretimewatch.io/big-pilot-...st-edition-on-black-leather-strap-a51111.html

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16

genosypheus

Horology Curious
1/3/10
Singapore
Yea, that is a nice watch. I just remembered.... Be sure and check the alignment on the date wheel within the date window. Lots of them are left justified a bit more than they should be

as in the Date is not centered in the display window?

i can see from the sample photo and video from https://puretimewatch.io/big-pilot-...st-edition-on-black-leather-strap-a51111.html , that the date "28" is slightly off-center leaning to the left.

but will a TD like Lucy from TrueTime168 be able to fix that? or i have to find a modder? you know any modder from this forum that i can contact?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
as in the Date is not centered in the display window?

i can see from the sample photo and video from https://puretimewatch.io/big-pilot-...st-edition-on-black-leather-strap-a51111.html , that the date "28" is slightly off-center leaning to the left.

but will a TD like Lucy from TrueTime168 be able to fix that? or i have to find a modder? you know any modder from this forum that i can contact?

Yes, left justified within the date window. For some reason they all seem to be this way so just get Lucy to find the best one she can

No TD will fix something like that. Lucy is excellent & if you ask her I am sure she will do her best to pick out one of the best of what is available.

This is something that is not at all unusual for this model. It might just be something you have to live with to some degree.

Reactions: genosypheus

genosypheus

Horology Curious
1/3/10
Singapore
Yes, left justified within the date window. For some reason they all seem to be this way so just get Lucy to find the best one she can

No TD will fix something like that. Lucy is excellent & if you ask her I am sure she will do her best to pick out one of the best of what is available.

This is something that is not at all unusual for this model. It might just be something you have to live with to some degree.

thanks for the tip! i have emailed Lucy about this :)

Madcap

Known Member
2/10/17
ive had 2 so i can share my thoughts

the ZF BP's seem to have a dw printing problem, where the double digits are left aligned in the date wheel window. my watchsmith had to rotate the dial to accommodate the misaligned dw. Although he was mentioning doing this adds pressure on the subdial and crown, he managed to get the worst of the misalignment out

As mentioned, the power reserve is about 72 hrs, and not 7 days, but its never bothered me much.

genosypheus

Horology Curious
1/3/10
Singapore
ive had 2 so i can share my thoughts

the ZF BP's seem to have a dw printing problem, where the double digits are left aligned in the date wheel window. my watchsmith had to rotate the dial to accommodate the misaligned dw. Although he was mentioning doing this adds pressure on the subdial and crown, he managed to get the worst of the misalignment out

As mentioned, the power reserve is about 72 hrs, and not 7 days, but its never bothered me much.
Thanks for the advice! Will ask LUcy to source for the least worst aligned DW ????????

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

feet up

Horology Curious
21/10/19
In the gen Big Pilot the top of the cut off 4 and 2 goes to the border of the date reserve cut out. In the ZF it's a few millimeters shy. I'll never understand why they can't get things like printing right.

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Does anyone think a genuine date wheel, would sort the “left” issue, if one can be sourced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Does anyone think a genuine date wheel, would sort the “left” issue, if one can be sourced?

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Double post sorry and thanks for the info

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12

No, does not fit.

Gesendet von iPhone 12 Pro mit Tapatalk

san4x

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/20
Here's my IWC Big Pilot LPP (IW500916 / ZF), check out the QC pics.
Date position looks pretty good to me.

ZnaveK.jpg
ZnaMCR.jpg
ZnasS8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FourtyTwo

san4x

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/20
I got 4 Big Pilots. 3 ZF, 1YLF. Cause YLF only has the annual calendar I wanted. They all look very good, but whatever you get, send it to get 2XAR. All gen IWCs have 2XAR. Makes the dial twice as nice. Here's my recent 2XAR fix.

Awesome watch. Might very well be my next purchase.

What do you mean by "send it to get 2XAR"...?