• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC PORTOFINO DATA AND DAY SETTING TROUBLESHOOTING

RLX13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/7/20
Hi i just received from Puretime this :
​​​​​​Portofino Chrono SS '150 Years' TWF Best Edition White Dial on Black Leather Strap A7750

The watche is good looking but inside the box there was a strange chinese/english translated paper with recomendation about settings the date.
Can someone explain better ?
Thx

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
Though I do not have that particular watch, what I believe they are trying to say is:
Do not adjust the watch for date, etc. between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm, that will damage the movement.
You can adjust the watch between 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm without worry.

Reactions: RLX13

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Though I do not have that particular watch, what I believe they are trying to say is:
Do not adjust the watch for date, etc. between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm, that will damage the movement.
You can adjust the watch between 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm without worry.

Isn't the advice weird? I would think that it should be
"Do not adjust the watch for date, etc. between 8:00 pm and 2:00 am, that will damage the movement.
You can adjust the watch between 3:00 am and 8:00 pm without worry."

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
They use some type of app for translation I am sure.
No instructions coming out of China, for any product make any sense. It is always some form of gibberish.

I have movements that cannot have the date change between 10:00 pm to 2:00 am to be safe.
I usually set the watch to in the “safe time zone” first, then do my date adjustments and time. I set the date to the day prior, then advance the hands through to the correct date, finally to the correct time.

If you set the day or date outside that safe zone, you will strip one of the gears (I forget which one).There is a video on the forum showing exactly that problem and the disastrous results on a movement removed from a watch.

Marky.Mark

Looking Around
29/4/20
They must have messed up the translation on AM/PM. You definitely should not change the date/day between the hours of 9PM and 3AM or an even longer window (like 8PM-4AM). Usually a few hours before midnight some gears engage that slowly prepare to flip the day/date at 12:00, while these gears are engage (between 9p-3a) if you start changing the date manually, you will strip them and the date won't flip and you've broken the movement.
The best thing to do if you need to change the date is to first set the watch to 6 (either AM or PM) and then make your date changes. At 6, the date change gear is 100% disengaged and no chance of damage. You can YouTube this and there are great videos explaining what happens inside the movement.

Last edited: