• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC V3 Ingenuier Vintage St Laureus on Trusty

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I know Andrew isn't a TD here, but is over on RWG and is well known. I am not a fan of his, but he just listed this:

Return to the Product List - Return to the Product List

Next - Next

larger image

IWC0301 - V3 Ingenuier Vintage St Laureus SS/LE Blue A-2824

$238.00

Is this a new version? I am thinking it is as I thought all the previous ones were sold out. In any case if it is decent at all $238 is a pretty great price.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: AFH15

AFH15

Looking Around
26/5/20
About to pull the trigger on this one actually. It's my first rep though so I'm feeling a bit hesitant, is Andrew a reliable guy?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
About to pull the trigger on this one actually. It's my first rep though so I'm feeling a bit hesitant, is Andrew a reliable guy?

He is a TD for a reason. I have bought several watches from him, as have many others, and although he is not my first go to TD I have no hesitation buying from him.

I ordered this same watch from him almost 6 weeks ago. I thought I would have it by now, but worldwide shipping is taking a super long time right now (not Andrew's fault)

I will post some pics when it finally shows.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Finally showed up today. Just took a few days shy of 2 months. I'll take a few better pics when I have a few minutes.
I really like it. Cat skin strap was off within about 2 minutes of me opening the box and onto a nice real croc strap that I had laying about. Other than that, I think it is a very nice watch. My initial impression is that I wish that it was a little thinner, but this is the way the gen is so that is that. For me, it is a bit dressy for an every day wear watch. Seems perfect for dress pants and a button down shirt, but I am more of a tee shirt and shorts guy so it will only get occasional wear from me.

Reactions: Flaskevin and pippo

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom

Unfortunately not available anymore (I message Andrew about it a month ago)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Unfortunately not available anymore (I message Andrew about it a month ago)

I feel like this was sort of a closeout. My guess is that noob had enough parts to put together a few dozen watches and they cut a deal with Andrew. Even though he said it was V3 it really was another batch made with left over V2 parts

pijin72

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/2/15
Finally showed up today. Just took a few days shy of 2 months. I'll take a few better pics when I have a few minutes.
I really like it. Cat skin strap was off within about 2 minutes of me opening the box and onto a nice real croc strap that I had laying about. Other than that, I think it is a very nice watch. My initial impression is that I wish that it was a little thinner, but this is the way the gen is so that is that. For me, it is a bit dressy for an every day wear watch. Seems perfect for dress pants and a button down shirt, but I am more of a tee shirt and shorts guy so it will only get occasional wear from me.

had the same thoughts about it's 'dressiness' so just ordered a perforated sport strap from Jacob (custom cut for an iwc deployant) for mine, thinking it should make it a bit more sporty/casual...

https://jacobstraps.com/en/straps/9...ength-m_115_75mm/30-buckle-no/32-thread-black

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Hi guys, I've been interested in the Ingenuier St. Laureus as well. With the Noob discontinued, has anyone had experience with the other factory models? Based on the TD sites, I'm seeing AIF and MKF both make a version, plus I'm seeing another version on Puretime that doesn't even seem to have a factory indicated. Was the Noob model truly superior to these current factory products?

I'm not seeing much at all mentioned about this watch on threads dated after 2017. Thanks for any opinions.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
.........With the Noob discontinued, has anyone had experience with the other factory models? Based on the TD sites, I'm seeing AIF and MKF both make a version, plus I'm seeing another version ........

You are incorrectly assuming that since a watch shows up on one of the TD's websites that they have it in stock. This is not how it works. As a general rule TD's do not carry any stock. They go to the market and buy from the makers after an order comes in. Not only that, they tend to put up pics of new models or versions, but never bother to take down discontinued models.

The factories/makers also tend to focus on current models so when they do decide to rep a limited edition the production run of that rep is usually quite limited as well.

In this case I am almost 100% certain that none of the factories make this model any more and the only way you are going to find one is in m2m sales. The best way to find out is to e-mail a pic of the watch you are interested in to a few TD's and you will quickly have your answer.

Answers to lots of questions like this can be found in the new members area in the FAQs

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
You are incorrectly assuming that since a watch shows up on one of the TD's websites that they have it in stock. This is not how it works. As a general rule TD's do not carry any stock. They go to the market and buy from the makers after an order comes in. Not only that, they tend to put up pics of new models or versions, but never bother to take down discontinued models.

The factories/makers also tend to focus on current models so when they do decide to rep a limited edition the production run of that rep is usually quite limited as well.

In this case I am almost 100% certain that none of the factories make this model any more and the only way you are going to find one is in m2m sales. The best way to find out is to e-mail a pic of the watch you are interested in to a few TD's and you will quickly have your answer.

Answers to lots of questions like this can be found in the new members area in the FAQs

Thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm aware that the TD's don't carry stock and that they only source from the factories. I was just using the TD website listings as a guide as to what might be or has been available. I guess I was really wondering if anyone had experience with the other two factories at all in comparison to the Noob version.

According to Li, MKF still makes the Ingeniuer St. Laureus

I haven't seen any posted on m2m listings. Think I'm going to take a shot with the MKF version to check it out. Doesn't sound like many people have gotten into this watch to compare factories much.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
.............According to Li, MKF still makes the Ingeniuer St. Laureus
I haven't seen any posted on m2m listings. Think I'm going to take a shot with the MKF version to check it out............

Give it a shot & see what happens. Maybe you get one or maybe he comes back to you and says it is no longer available & then I guess you have to choose something else. If you get one, I would love to see some good pics.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Give it a shot & see what happens. Maybe you get one or maybe he comes back to you and says it is no longer available & then I guess you have to choose something else. If you get one, I would love to see some good pics.

His reply was that the Noob was (as expected) discontinued and that he didn't recommend the AIF, as the MKF was better.

I told him to order me the MKF and I'm currently awaiting payment details. I didn't ask him, but it sounds like the AIF is in current production as well. I'll post some pics when it finally gets here in a month or two. lol.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Just received QC pics from Li and thought I'd share for those interested. Again, MKF version. Looks pretty good to me. I'm GLing and will update my impression once it arrives.

B6J3xIz

https://imgur.com/a/B6J3xIz

Last edited:

pijin72

23/2/15
Post a pic when it shows up please! I have had a few straps from JacobStraps and they were very nice!
Pics as promised, very happy with the strap and how it suits the watch
c5402231e33f07a4caf7724eae33c71b.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2cdeff5747fb0d0f2be802a3fa6d9be0.jpg

Last edited:

pijin72

23/2/15
And on the wrist, pics don't do it justice to be honest....
9441f48fb4ee24f8e448ec426237973b.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Finally got my MKF St. Laureus, without having ever handled the noob version, I can't give a direct comparison. However, I'd currently give the MFK and "OK". Case construction seems good, case back engraving seems nicely done, dial looks brilliant in the light, the details of the hands and indices look great, and the dial printing is crisp. However, there does seem to be a slight drop off at the hand pinion in the dial. Can't see it if you look straight on,but in the right light while turned at a bit of an angle to the side, it's there. Not sure anyone else would even notice it unless they were examining it like I am, but it's definitely there.

The movement feels good when setting the watch. Date changes crisply at midnight.

The leather strap it comes on is meh. I've had worse, but it'll still be replaced ASAP (this was expected however).

Overall, I like it a lot. The color of the dial and the way the light hits it with clean simple aesthetics is great. If the movement croaks, I'll have it repaired or replaced.

**Edited impression of movement after playing with the watch some more.

Last edited: