• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF V3 3714 Blue Pictures - Rotor Declined So Fast

ericfox11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/8/11
Hello all,

I received a new 3714 from Ryan at InTime a couple of months ago.

The first month was amazing, rotor spun very freely and watch kept time overnight every night.

Now, the rotor doesn't spin very freely at all, makes more of a grinding noise. I have to reset my time every morning and fight to get it charged...

What can I do? This is the second ZF V3 3714 I've had and both acted the same exact way.

Also, I have a small scratch above the "12" on the shiny bezel...not sure if that could be replaced?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

*Note, not the band it came with. This was from ZicZac (I believe)

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Did you already open the caseback and fastened the screw of the rotor? This could be an easy fix. Unfortunately qc on the screws isn't on the same level than in (most) Swiss assembly facilities.

ericfox11

27/8/11
Did you already open the caseback and fastened the screw of the rotor? This could be an easy fix. Unfortunately qc on the screws isn't on the same level than in (most) Swiss assembly facilities.

Hello. No I have not taken the caseback off. I just need to tighten the screw of the rotor? Any videos or something on this. I opened my old caseback and the "Screw" just came off and I don't have the special tool to put it back on.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
ZF watches man. What do you expect. I've had now 4 IWC 7 days v4s that the rotor is sooooooo light that it cant even keep power on a winder.

I'm done with ZF watches. Their QC has been shit since day 1 and now they are using cheap cheap materials.

Last edited:

svdlippe

Horology Curious
2/1/11
Hi Eric, I have had the same problem with my IWC ZF. I send the watch back to the TD to het it fixed. Now it is working like a charm. I would advise not to tighten the screen on the back.

ericfox11

27/8/11
Hi Eric, I have had the same problem with my IWC ZF. I send the watch back to the TD to het it fixed. Now it is working like a charm. I would advise not to tighten the screen on the back.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just hate having to send back to China and wait so long. Wasn't sure if there was someone in the US that would service it for a reasonable fee.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
It's just a screwdriver neede to remove/ tighten the rotor screw, I had issues with the rotor on mine and when I opened it up to look the rotor fell off and the screw had sheared, seems like a common issue with the rotors. I've left mine manual wind as I only wear it occasionally

ericfox11

27/8/11
It's just a screwdriver neede to remove/ tighten the rotor screw, I had issues with the rotor on mine and when I opened it up to look the rotor fell off and the screw had sheared, seems like a common issue with the rotors. I've left mine manual wind as I only wear it occasionally

Spitfire, can you elaborate? You have the exact same watch I do? I have taken an old ZF V3 (gold markers) apart and the rotor seems to be attached with some weird circular metal piece that does not simply go on with a screwdriver. My rotor also came off....I can't get the rotor and "screw" device back on.

Is there a way to manually wind these 3714 V3s from ZF?? I'm assuming by manual wind you mean you take the case back off, wind it by hand, and put it back on? That is out of the question for a watch I wear daily, of course.

Thanks

Reactions: Cap-IT

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
You can manualy wind it by the crown in it’s first position, no need to take the case back off. As it is still defective you have to decide if you can live with it like that. It,s not an automatic watch anymore if you have to wind it by hand.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Spitfire, can you elaborate? You have the exact same watch I do? I have taken an old ZF V3 (gold markers) apart and the rotor seems to be attached with some weird circular metal piece that does not simply go on with a screwdriver. My rotor also came off....I can't get the rotor and "screw" device back on.

Is there a way to manually wind these 3714 V3s from ZF?? I'm assuming by manual wind you mean you take the case back off, wind it by hand, and put it back on? That is out of the question for a watch I wear daily, of course.

Thanks

from your description it sounds as tho the same thing as happened to you that happened to me, if you rotor has fallen off then the screw has either come lose and fallen out or as in my case has sheared, you will need to check in inside the movement to see if the screw is loose inside so not to cause any damage, take the back off and gently shake it upside down to see if it falls out, that's how I found mine, note that the screw is so small I didn't even realise it was a screw head until I looked at it under a loupe, it looked like a speck of silver at first, so yours may have already fallen out without you realising.

you can manually wind any automatic watch using the crown, on the 3714 you don't need to pull the crown out leave pushed fully in and turn clockwise and it will wind the watch up, about 20 turns keeps mine running for a couple of days, that's why I've not bothered to get it fixed and leave it manual wind as I don't wear it daily just maybe for a day at a time.

note that the 7750 has high gearing on the winding mechanism and can strip the gears of wound too fast, so wind slowly and gentle.

Here's a pic of mine with the sheared screwhead on the rotor
c26a47a10e612908d0a8629c25a9290a.jpg

Last edited:

ericfox11

27/8/11
from your description it sounds as tho the same thing as happened to you that happened to me, if you rotor has fallen off then the screw has either come lose and fallen out or as in my case has sheared, you will need to check in inside the movement to see if the screw is loose inside so not to cause any damage, take the back off and gently shake it upside down to see if it falls out, that's how I found mine, note that the screw is so small I didn't even realise it was a screw head until I looked at it under a loupe, it looked like a speck of silver at first, so yours may have already fallen out without you realising.

you can manually wind any automatic watch using the crown, on the 3714 you don't need to pull the crown out leave pushed fully in and turn clockwise and it will wind the watch up, about 20 turns keeps mine running for a couple of days, that's why I've not bothered to get it fixed and leave it manual wind as I don't wear it daily just maybe for a day at a time.

note that the 7750 has high gearing on the winding mechanism and can strip the gears of wound too fast, so wind slowly and gentle.

Here's a pic of mine with the sheared screwhead on the rotor
c26a47a10e612908d0a8629c25a9290a.jpg

Wow, thank you all so much for the replies.

I had no idea you could wind manually...I've been throwing my arm out trying to get the rotor to wind the watch every morning in the car...I feel like an idiot ha.

Learned something valuable today....I will probably just manually wind for the time being. Eventually will send in to have fixed.

My old one with the gold markers I believe looks just like yours, the screw head came completely off.

Dvstr

Horology Curious
4/2/20
I'm still not sure if this an overall defect in the 3714 V3 ZF, a bad 'batch' or that some people are just unlucky?
I can live with some wrong details in the rep, but overall would like to have actual working watch which isn't prone to completely dying. (I can even live with a manual wind if needed.)

I wonder if I should still go for it or try the 3716 ZF instead... (for reference: https://www.intime05.co/iwc/3290-po...lue-markers-on-blue-leather-strap-a79350.html).

Any feedback welcome

ericfox11

27/8/11
I'm still not sure if this an overall defect in the 3714 V3 ZF, a bad 'batch' or that some people are just unlucky?
I can live with some wrong details in the rep, but overall would like to have actual working watch which isn't prone to completely dying. (I can even live with a manual wind if needed.)

I wonder if I should still go for it or try the 3716 ZF instead... (for reference: https://www.intime05.co/iwc/3290-po...lue-markers-on-blue-leather-strap-a79350.html).

Any feedback welcome

I ordered my gold marker 3714 V3 roughly 1.5 years ago. Just got the blue marker one a couple of months ago. So that leads me to think it's not just a bad batch.

I believe you linked the 3714 by the way, and that is the exact one I have. It is beautiful...

Dvstr

Horology Curious
4/2/20
I ordered my gold marker 3714 V3 roughly 1.5 years ago. Just got the blue marker one a couple of months ago. So that leads me to think it's not just a bad batch.

I believe you linked the 3714 by the way, and that is the exact one I have. It is beautiful...

Indeed that is the 3714, meant to link the 3716

https://puretimewatch.io/portugiese...-black-leather-strap-a7750-slim-movement.html

But I agree, they are stunning. Hence my obsession to still get one although issues like this say otherwise...

ericfox11

27/8/11
Indeed that is the 3714, meant to link the 3716

https://puretimewatch.io/portugiese...-black-leather-strap-a7750-slim-movement.html

But I agree, they are stunning. Hence my obsession to still get one although issues like this say otherwise...

I thought a lot about getting the YLF version of the 3714 in blue, but after staring at the ZF and YLF side by side the face of the ZF just looked better to me.

Unsure if this is just the picture or if the faces actually look different in person. But already having the gold marker ZF I knew I loved the face, so I stuck with ZF despite the issues.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18