• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first Rep !!! IWC Big Pilot 5009-09 Le Petit Prince. Does anybody owns this ? Any feedback ?

gma

Horology Curious
20/1/20
Go SS for a daily wear. My 2c's. And yes the subdial is incorrectly finished, but seriously - how many gen LPP's out there with owners who will laser-lock on yours? Oh, I know. 1000. If you meet one, shake their hand and wear yours in good health.

Regards strap: acceptable, wear it till it stretches too much at the lugs or delaminates which is usually the natural order of things in my experience with Rep leather straps. Watch out for the deployant, tends to bend a bit and may not close properly after wear and tear- a gen strap is in my future plans however.

Regards date wheel issue, can't comment broadly but mine is centered. An btw I posted a gen Big Crown Top Gun elsewhere in the forum - date wheel was not centered ;).

Final advice, relax - it's a rep, will have quirks and tells but get it, wear it and enjoy it! That's part of the game ;).

I will probably go for the SS. It seems I will definitely have a problem with plating...
Regards the strap, I think it's a good idea to keep it until is worn out and then get a gen one. I always tend to look for the details but in the end...you are absolutely right. It's a REP! And this is my first one ...????
Thanks for your tips !

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Another vote for SS vs plated reps.

Any watch, rep or gen that is plated will wear through the plating with daily wear. The amt of time you will get before it looks crappy will depend on how well it is plated and the thickness of the plating.

Personally I would not wear a plated watch as a daily wear watch.

As for rep straps: they are all crap. You don't need to go gen, but you need something better than what comes with the rep. Lots of strapmakers out there that will make something that is excellent for lots less than you would pay for gen.

gma

Horology Curious
20/1/20
Another vote for SS vs plated reps.

Any watch, rep or gen that is plated will wear through the plating with daily wear. The amt of time you will get before it looks crappy will depend on how well it is plated and the thickness of the plating.

Personally I would not wear a plated watch as a daily wear watch.

As for rep straps: they are all crap. You don't need to go gen, but you need something better than what comes with the rep. Lots of strapmakers out there that will make something that is excellent for lots less than you would pay for gen.

I think I am almost convinced about the SS. I like the rose gold on this one but unfortunately, it looks like it's life cycle is not that good... Do you think not wearing it as a daily wear watch is still worth getting it?
Thanks for the info!

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I think I am almost convinced about the SS. I like the rose gold on this one but unfortunately, it looks like it's life cycle is not that good... Do you think not wearing it as a daily wear watch is still worth getting it?
Thanks for the info!

It might be.

I had a plated gen that I wore for at least 2 or 3 yrs as a daily wear watch before it started to look bad. Let's say that is 500 days of wear before it starts showing wear. If you wear that same watch 1x/week that is 10 years before it looks worn.

Based on this thinking I would say if you plan on wearing it 1x/week or less it would look nice long enough for me to justify it. If I was planning on wearing it more than that, I would skip it and go with something else.

Reactions: gma

gma

Horology Curious
20/1/20
It might be.

I had a plated gen that I wore for at least 2 or 3 yrs as a daily wear watch before it started to look bad. Let's say that is 500 days of wear before it starts showing wear. If you wear that same watch 1x/week that is 10 years before it looks worn.

Based on this thinking I would say if you plan on wearing it 1x/week or less it would look nice long enough for me to justify it. If I was planning on wearing it more than that, I would skip it and go with something else.

I really like how detailed, extensive and to the point answer! Very helpful.
My kind of guy.

Thank you very much !!!