• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Picked up a Mark XVIII on a petite budget (review?)

onenewguy

Horology Curious
4/12/19
So, I purchased a first rep. A GMT Rolex that was okay I guess. But left me feeling pretty disappointed with this whole rep thing. So it seemed to me if they weren't actually pretty close to original, like a quality aftermarket item..I am just not interested in spending the same money you can buy a quality lesser brand watch for just to have a fancy label. Still intrigued, and since I needed a blue watch, I decided to go downmarket and pick up a budget IWC Rep. Just for fun putting it out here.

onenewguy

Horology Curious
4/12/19
Sorry, camera pics stink. But I was impressed this time! Not because this watch is better than the $300 BP GMT, I really is not. But at under $100 it doesn't make you feel like like the sad chump kid who got the knock off GameBoy. I had a Gen GMT and after days of reading gushing reviews here on them..and people nitpicking stuff you need a loupe to see I figured they reps must be good! Like a quality aftermarket thing. I could respect that. What turned up was more like a movie prop. Yea, could fool someone a few feet away. But just a cheap watch under the logo. So while I am on a budget, I don't need an ego boost so bad that $300 that feels crappy in my hands just to fool others makes sense to me. Maybe some of the $500 reps are good, but again, why at that price point buy a quality used Maurice Lacorix or Oris? On the other hand, if you just want a cheap watch to fill a fashion hole and the snob in you doesn't like Timex...there are lots of pretty reps under $100 that aren't bad. I think I fall into this category with this purchase. 2813 powered automatics you get a nice watch cheap and don't pay a premium for a logo. And maybe it matters if you work Wall St. and are young. But nobody is playing with my watch and I am pretty confident I will never cross paths with someone who can tell even this cheapie is fake passing by on the street.

Let's start with the good. Under $100 buy a good bit. Keeping perfect time. Inside beats the heart of a garden variety street cat,....2813 Movement inside looks clean, nice and quiet compared to what I was reading they can be. Strap is actually really decent IMHO. But straps are pretty subjective. Buckle has nice details beyond just the IWC. Some nice little writing. Case has a very nice finished including bevels that are well done and polished in contrast to the top and sides. Sunburst I would guess is good? I have seen $5 watches that radiated like crazy. So know that is not complex or expensive. This is more muted, but seems nice. No gen to compare to. Printing on dial is good. The date is aligned properly, just looks off in pic. Crown has a decent engraving on the end. Looks from pics that maybe the crown is a tad to long. But really not something to get excited about. Crystal was advertised as sapphire. I am doubtful. Visually it is a lovely timepiece. Probably not if you are bored online looking for flaws though.
The not so good. It is big on the wrist next to my GMT; it looks like it would eat the Rolex's lunch. I will probably end up not bonding with it over this as anything above 40 I think looks clownish on my 6.25" wrist. Actually anything above 43 looks comical on most people IMHO. The back is a mixed bag. I was pleasantly surprised to find a neatly engraved prince on the back. Granted, he isn't looking quite as dapper as on the Gen. But no bad either. But they put him there about 2mm off center. That's the kind of thing your new girlfriend catches when you leave her in the morning with your good witch so she feels special. She won't catch that the date window is a mm off or small. But off center? That might not be missed. I don't think this watch deserves a mm by mm going over v Gen. It's a $80 blue dial automatic watch with some style and pays a pretty good homage to the real thing as an added bonus. Would I wear it to a weekend golf outing with a bunch of watch snobs? NO. Would I wear it happily out and abut on weekends and just to beat around in? Absolutely. Well, maybe not simply because it is too big IMHO for my wrist. I am trying to bond with it. This watch is way more fun than a $300 disappointment.

Last edited:

PunkRockDoc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/18
Thanks for the review. When you say downmarket, are you talking DHgate? Its hard to tell from your pics, but I noticed that the second hand in the DHgate is much thicker than the high end reps. Would you say thats true?

valueprop

17/12/19
Hey other new guy,

Sorry to hear about your bad rep experience. It sounds like you didn't get lucky. I'm struggling with the same thoughts myself. The reps I'm getting can fall into three categories:

1. Watch that I like the look of but it's not perfect. I recognize it differs in various obvious tells from gen, but enjoy it for the comparable aesthetic value. For example, I got a Rolex Day-Date 40 Ice Blue Dial because I love the look. I searched online for 'day date watch' and this was the one I liked the most. I'm happy getting something pretty close to what I really like instead of settling for a real but bland alternative. How much I actually like the look vs the brand hypnosis should become clearer the longer I wear it, and I won't try to convince people it's real.
2. An expensive looking watch to show off on my wrist, and it has to be perfect enough so I'm not embarrassed socially. I want social credit from people that believe a fancy watch means something, but I don't want to actually indulge them by spending a fortune. Elitists can go to hell and I'll enjoy being subversive with my super rep. I'm hoping the VSF Seamaster I get tomorrow fits that bill, aside from also being a gorgeous watch I'll enjoy looking at.
3. Something that either isn't perfect or isn't pretty enough and will eventually grind my gears. I should sell/get rid of it and move on.

At the end of the day, it's important to understand what the value proposition (hence the name ;) of the watch is to me and to try to be as honest as I can to myself about it, so that I can pick the right one.

Curious to see what others think about this topic

Last edited: