• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question to Those with the ZF 500901 or 500908 - SubDial Accuracy in Hand

ebitdaddy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/11/19
Everyone - currently planning out my first major purchase after scouring these boards without an account for at least a few years. I've missed out on some of the greats (RIP TC Sub), and decided to start my collection with the JF Oyster Perpetual in Gray (for my "smaller" watch), and have been slaving away in the IWC minefields for a couple weeks now trying to figure out which model I'd like to kick things off with. I love the Portuguese gen, but I can't get past the flaws that current rep options have. However, from what I've seen, there seems to be many folks who regard the BP 500901 as damn near perfect as far as reps are concerned (and the 08 LPP trailing a bit behind, but still top class).

However, for me....I just can't get past the subdial shine/color relative to gen on both options, both black and blue dials. The red engraving on the PR dial that is offcolor doesn't help my cause either, just makes it all the worse for me.

Hopefully a quick question to ask here, but to those that have either of these models in hand: just how noticeable is the subdial flaw? the red flaw? Is it one of those things that we see because we are obsessed in the details, or is it glaringly obvious on wrist? I work with quite a few folks who have gens, and while I doubt they would ever try and embarrass me, I still would hope to be as close as possible by rep standards.

Appreciate the quick help here!

PS - As an aside, I also really like the Spitfire as well as the 150 years Portofino, but there just seems to be much more research on these boards for the BP which gives me more confidence.

Cheers!

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I think you have answered the question yourself .. ' I just can't get past the subdial shine /colour relative to the gen... ' . The answer is the 5009-01 is classed as a 'super rep ' but it's flaw is the power reserve subdial , the red at 1 is slightly wrong and the dial its self is shinier and less matt than the gen . Probably not noticable to the first 100 people surveyed . However if can't get over it yourself , or you are worried about a colleague forensically comparing it to his gen in the office best not buy . IMO the subdial difference is not glaring but noticable if you know to look for it , and obviously if side side with the gen .
If you after an IWC to fool the senior management at work:D check out the V7F 150 years Portofino ( you say you like this watch ) you will find it on PURETIME . It has just been added to the Consensual list as a 'super rep' , meant ( looks good to me ) to be a pretty spot on replica aesthetically . There is a pictorial GEN vs V7F rep comparison thread somewhere on RWI ( just put V7f Portofino into the search bar you find it in the results ) Never read any personal testimony of the V7f on here though .

Last edited:

Blue Ocean

7/12/17
I have a ZF 5009. The shinny subdial bothered me
and never wore the watch for a few months I have installed a gen dial. It is night and day. You won’t regret it.

ebitdaddy

21/11/19
I think you have answered the question yourself .. ' I just can't get past the subdial shine /colour relative to the gen... ' . The answer is the 5009-01 is classed as a 'super rep ' but it's flaw is the power reserve subdial , the red at 1 is slightly wrong and the dial its self is shinier and less matt than the gen . Probably not noticable to the first 100 people surveyed . However if can't get over it yourself , or you are worried about a colleague forensically comparing it to his gen in the office best not buy . IMO the subdial difference is not glaring but noticable if you know to look for it , and obviously if side side with the gen .
If you after an IWC to fool the senior management at work:D check out the V7F 150 years Portofino ( you say you like this watch ) you will find it on PURETIME . It has just been added to the Consensual list as a 'super rep' , meant ( looks good to me ) to be a pretty spot on replica aesthetically . There is a pictorial GEN vs V7F rep comparison thread somewhere on RWI ( just put V7f Portofino into the search bar you find it in the results ) Never read any personal testimony of the V7f on here though .

Appreciate the insight buddy! Yea, was just looking for a second opinion to see if I could push past my own reservations on the subdial. Looks like I may need to hold off or consider going the modding route with a gen dial (although, candidly, I don't quite think I'm at that stage - We'll see though!). I saw the V7F post you mentioned, and it does look pretty damn great - I sure as shit can't see anything wrong with it but I guess the jury is out until QC pics come in from those who have ordered it. The BP or Port are my favorite IWC models, and prefer the chronograph 150 years portofino, but may pull the trigger on the V7F!

FWIW, I know no one would ever forensically compare at work, but yes - the concern of just side by side having them on is a bit too close to the sun for me to be comfortable. Same reason I have trouble warranting the Noob Daytona so many folks on here swear by.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

ebitdaddy

21/11/19
and never wore the watch for a few months I have installed a gen dial. It is night and day. You won’t regret it.

Interesting - how much did that set you back? Where'd you grab it from if you don't mind me asking? Did you use a member of this board for the modding or go to a local watch smith?

(sorry, 100 questions ^)

Blue Ocean

7/12/17
Got it from ebay. I did send the dial to a modder for the install

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
As already mentioned what the flaws on the Portuguese that you refer to?

the Portuguese chrono 3714 is a great rep on the wrist a lot better than any pictures on the interweb can portray, the only issue being the usual quality of the Chinese straps
put a good quality or gen strap on it and I'd dare anyone in the real world to call it out as fake

Last edited:

ebitdaddy

21/11/19
As already mentioned what the flaws on the Portuguese that you refer to?

the Portuguese chrono 3714 is a great rep on the wrist a lot better than any pictures on the interweb can portray, the only issue being the usual quality of the Chinese straps
put a good quality or gen strap on it and I'd dare anyone in the real world to call it out as fake

It absolutely seems like a solid rep, specifically the v3 ZF, but I'd also argue the subdial shine is an obvious tell from gen (just like the BP) in all dial color variations. I've been told the black dial is the best of the bunch, but not so sure on white or blue. I know the white comparisons I've seen had a very stark difference in sub dial shine, as well as even an off white vs white delta between rep and and gen.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Correct. The subdial shine and the non-3D of the hands are the big tells to spot a rep 3714 very quick. But it's expensive to franken.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Back to the ZF 5009 Big Pilot: I also want to built a franken BP and with a gen dial, hands set and gen alligator strap. Are the hands a straight swap or do the diameters of the holes need to be adapted to fit to the ZF stem? Thanks for your advice.

Blue Ocean

7/12/17
I’m not sure the hands will fit. On the ZF IWC portuguese 7 days, I know it doesn’t fit.
The 5009 uses the same movement to my knowledge. Let us know if you can make it work

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10

Agreed, that's the way to go. The only fix