• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC newbie questions

Mrpong

15/9/19
Hi

I'm doing some research for my first IWC rep and short list as follows.

1) IW3777 (ZF factory): In fact, I’m not a fan of chrono watch but this one is listed in the consensus as NWBIG, so this is so interesting for a newbie like me. However I got info from several comments in this IWC sub forum and it seems that the QC of ZF factory remains unpredictable. There is another option from V6 factory (Version 2), which is cheaper too, but the questions are:
• Is 3777 from V6 (Version 2) as good as that from VF? Is there any cosmetic defect in 3777 V6 (Version 2) as per gen?
• 3777 from V6 (Version 2) is not listed as NWBIG. Is there any defect?
• How reliable is Asian 7750 movement? Some said that it will need service just after 1-2 year.
2)
IW500901 Big Pilot (ZF factory): I like its big, simple, and clean dial, but again not sure about ZF factory quality control. Are there other options?
3) IW502003 (ZF factory), Boutique Rodeo Drive: Its shiny ceramic body is so gorgeous, but I never seen any discussion or review thread about this model.
4) IW500906 Big Pilot Father: Shinny silver dial looks so nice, but when comparing to its gen, unfortunately I think cosmetic flaw is too obvious since the gen silver dial is more shiny and reflective due to rhodium-plated.

Any feedbacks, comments or advice please?

Last edited:

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
1) IW3777 (ZF factory): In fact, I’m not a fan of chrono watch but this one is listed in the consensus as NWBIG, so this is so interesting for a newbie like me. However I got info from several comments in this IWC sub forum and it seems that the QC of ZF factory remains unpredictable. There is another option from V6 factory (Version 2), which is cheaper too, but the questions are:
• Is 3777 from V6 (Version 2) as good as that from VF? Is there any cosmetic defect in 3777 V6 (Version 2) as per gen?
• 3777 from V6 (Version 2) is not listed as NWBIG. Is there any defect?
• How reliable is Asian 7750 movement? Some said that it will need service just after 1-2 year.

3777 has two different generations - the old one with triple date window and minute markings on the dial and new one with single date window and simpler dial
I like the triple date since it reminds me of cockpit instruments - some people don't like it
As far as the rep goes - I also think the triple dates in the older reps is much less recessed, somehow the new ones look recessed for me and the fonts of the date and day don't match very well - although the same is also true for the gen..
ZF vs V6 - I have a V6 - triple date, it was my first rep and I had a swiss 7750 with gen hands installed on it. I bought it before the ZF was released and ZF has more blue hue in the AR - which I like - and the dial on the V6 has the lego block 3D markings, which is incorrect AFAIK.
Asian 7750 is not bad - I have currently 4 IWC reps and one Breitling rep with 7750, of which 3 of them are seconds at six (new gen ZF). The Breitling no second at six stopped working after 2 months - I sent it for a service and now running like a champ since several years -all others are also running like champs - I love them : )))

2) [/B][/B]IW500901 Big Pilot (ZF factory): I like its big, simple, and clean dial, but again not sure about ZF factory quality control. Are there other options?

The plain big pilot is a very good rep - the shiny subdial for PR, the color contrast between the datewheel and the dial, and the crown are the tells. I think recently the ZF BP reps have worse datewheel allignement than the past - I have 3 perfectly alligned dates but people complain now that the dates are not aligned. I just ordered a Bronzo so I will see how it comes..

3) IW502003 (ZF factory), Boutique Rodeo Drive: Its shiny ceramic body is so gorgeous, but I never seen any discussion or review thread about this model.

Also very good rep - the shine on the gen is a bit different on these and the miramar models but still very good. On the Rodeo the blue of the dial is not as striking as the gen and the minute hand is about 1mm short - very hard to tell IMHO

4) IW500906 Big Pilot Father: Shinny silver dial looks so nice, but when comparing to its gen, unfortunately I think cosmetic flaw is too obvious since the gen silver dial is more shiny and reflective due to rhodium-plated.

I have one - this is a lovely watch : ) what do you think your chances of running into someone that will have this watch or have seen it even - I tried one in Dubai in 2016 - I would not buy the gen because it is ridiculously shiny.

If you like shiny watches you should check out the 3878 with the triple date - very very nice watch and very nice reps both ZF and V6 (V6 recommended)
also the Miramars (except the Mark) Chrono from V6 and v2 Big pilot from ZF (48mm, I cannot wear a watch that big) are I think very close to gen..

Any feedbacks, comments or advice please?
[/QUOTE]

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Since you show interest in the Father (this is the second gen Father btw - the first IWC Father had white background DW) - I put some pics here for you. You will see on some angles the difference to gen is not so big - although the PR subdial is very different from Gen in almost all lighting conditions...

20180225-163143.jpg

20181022-131158.jpg

20181026-181717.jpg

Mrpong

15/9/19
Thank a lot. Very informative indeed ;)
Referring to the 3878, this is Spitfire, isn't it? I also shortlisted some of spitfire but haven't studied its details yet. But will do so surely.

https://puretimewatch.io/pilot-chro...est-edition-on-brown-leather-strap-a7750.html

​​​​​​https://www.intime05.co/iwc/2604-pi...silver-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a7750.html

http://www.trustytime01.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_191&products_id=16080

​​​​​​​46mm big father looks nice in reality I think that's gorgeous. ARGHHH This makes me more difficult how to make decision.

Reactions: daveg

Powdernation

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/18
Thought I would piggy back on the post, since I am doing research on a 3777 rep. Specifically I am looking for a 3777-06, which is the Le Petit Prince version. I am only interested in the older triple date window.

I do believe there are two versions, ZF and V6F, and to my eye, the V6F dial is closer to gen (lighter blue). Can anyone please confirm, and post pics if they have the 3777-06. Finally, was there a version with an actual ETA 7750 movement?

Below are a few pics of the gen, which I took.

Thanks in advance!!

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Thought I would piggy back on the post, since I am doing research on a 3777 rep. Specifically I am looking for a 3777-06, which is the Le Petit Prince version. I am only interested in the older triple date window.

I do believe there are two versions, ZF and V6F, and to my eye, the V6F dial is closer to gen (lighter blue). Can anyone please confirm, and post pics if they have the 3777-06. Finally, was there a version with an actual ETA 7750 movement?

Below are a few pics of the gen, which I took.

Thanks in advance!!

The consensus at that time was that the v6 was too purplish and the ZF was better. I am not aware of a version with Swiss movement.

Reactions: Powdernation

Powdernation

29/9/18
The consensus at that time was that the v6 was too purplish and the ZF was better. I am not aware of a version with Swiss movement.

Thank you very much for the quick response. Apparently the 3777-06 gen is not easy to come by as it was produced only for a year or two back in 2014-2015 period.

QC issues noted by some folks make me hesitate on the ZF, but if the dial is closer to gen...

Here is a version with ETA 7750...at least it claims to be.
http://thewatchoutlet.io/pilot-chro...blue-dial-on-brown-leather-strap-eta7750.html

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Folks here are rather suspicious of Swiss movements coming out of China. They are likely refurbished pieces. For the 7750 I am scratching my head because the Swiss movement does not accept the rep (at least the subdial) hands, so these claimed swiss reps have gen spec hands? Maybe they do, but I doubt it..
I would say Asian 7750 is quite reliable, and the watchmakers in the forum can service them if needed. Just don't tinker with the chrono much : )

Last edited:

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
You can always find a used ETA 7750 on eBay for relative small money and let a watchsmith do the change. A good one is able to fit the rep hands to the ETA stems.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mrpong

15/9/19
Is 377706 Le Petit (Triple date) still available in TDs? I never find this triple date version.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
ZF vs V6 - I have a V6 - triple date, it was my first rep and I had a swiss 7750 with gen hands installed on it. I bought it before the ZF was released and ZF has more blue hue in the AR - which I like - and the dial on the V6 has the lego block 3D markings, which is incorrect AFAIK.

Yes, I have a gen 3777-01 dial and the numerals and the triangle are absolute flat.

Here the rep dial (on left) compared to the gen dial (on right):

36963162ol.jpg

dirtyharry44

16/3/15
USA
Yes, I have a gen 3777-01 dial and the numerals and the triangle are absolute flat.

Here the rep dial (on left) compared to the gen dial (on right):

36963162ol.jpg

Where would one find a gen dial like that pictured here, and roughly what would one expect to pay for it?

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Believe me or not: I got it directly from an IWC boutique store some years ago. I paid something around 300€.

Today it's almost impossible to source a gen dial. But you can keep an eye on scotchwatch.com and may be lucky. Or ask him concrete, he's not listing everything he can offer you. But be aware of the prices, he knows them very well and they are high.

newonboard

Omega&IWC
Supporter
Certified
5/5/19
EU
Since you show interest in the Father (this is the second gen Father btw - the first IWC Father had white background DW) - I put some pics here for you. You will see on some angles the difference to gen is not so big - although the PR subdial is very different from Gen in almost all lighting conditions...

20180225-163143.jpg

20181022-131158.jpg

20181026-181717.jpg

Gen or rep on your wrist?

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
In your opinion, Father deserves to be called NWBiG?

If NWBIG is about being indistinguishable from the original article, then no. The dial material is something funny on the gen that is like super ultra shiny - also the PR subdial has a somewhat different color and appears more matte, although it also has a slight sunburst to it. Still the rep is a lovely watch.

In my opinion all gens are not worth buying : )

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
No. There is a huge difference in the movement e.g. on IWC big pilots. The movement is worth every $/€ if you buy the gen used for half the price of a new watch.

Also the IWC 7750 (79320) is way better than all 7750 in the world, asian or eta movements. But you are right, it is possible to source a gen 79320 and change the movement to get a comparative rep watch for 1/4 the price of a gen.

newonboard

Omega&IWC
Supporter
Certified
5/5/19
EU
No. There is a huge difference in the movement e.g. on IWC big pilots. The movement is worth every $/€ if you buy the gen used for half the price of a new watch.

Also the IWC 7750 (79320) is way better than all 7750 in the world, asian or eta movements. But you are right, it is possible to source a gen 79320 and change the movement to get a comparative rep watch for 1/4 the price of a gen.

This one looks great, I'm thinking about it or classic - 500901.