• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review - M+F IWC Mark XViii Black on leather

David1886

3/6/19
Hello everybody,

Today I want to share with you my experience, feelings and opinions on my IWC replica bought from the always professional Puretime. First of all some pictures of this beauty ;)

iwc-04307.jpg

iwc-04308.jpg

First and confirmed feelings

The build quality is very good, the feeling is one of a quality watch with brushed and polished parts giving to it a pleasant look. The construction is also good (I swim many times with it and not a problem). The crown etching is superb, crisp and detailed and well polished.

Mechanically-wise the watch gives a good sound and tactile feedback (I have a Sinn 857 UTC which can be defined as a good quality watch and it has and ETA 2893). The manual winding is smooth and silent which is unusual for a replica, this one feels well oiled and precise. The ticking noise of the seconds hand however is not as silent as my Sinn or other gens, it is lower than a bothering level so I consider it to be acceptable. One possible criticism is the crown doesn't feel solid when completely extracted, however I think that any watch should be treated gently when the crown in the hacking position. I'm happy the watch keeps perfect time and i wear it weekly.

Under the loupe

Under high magnification is possible to see some minor imperfections (I do not expect a 428$ replica to be at the same level of detail of a 5K$ gen) of the IWC logo printing on the dial, there is a very tiny smear right in the first part of the letter W. I can not see it with naked eye so it doesn't bother me.
All the other printing are well executed with a high level of detail, the hands have a silky feeling to them and the black dial has a nice texture like the gen. It is really well copied. Some more photos:

iwc-04299.jpg

Strap and clasp

iwc-04303.jpg

The clasp is nice and well made, prong and buckle have a good texture and IWC engraving is perfect.

As you may see I changed the "original" leather strap with a custom one made from genuine leather. The replica leather strap is can be acceptable however I can not wear it comfortably during summer due to its inner panel made out of plastic, it has a horrible feeling. Maybe in winter it will be better however I do not trust any replica straps for the material they use. Further note, the filling of the strap is cardboard and with that said...the strap can easily be changed.

If you are planning to buy this watch on its nato strap do not even bother, the quality is worse than the leather one and the stitchings will break in two days. It looks and feel cheap and it is also very difficult to install due to its thickness. The only good point of it is that it gave me a second buckle to use with my aftermarket NATO straps.

Final thoughts

If you like this watch and you can buy it go for it! The quality of the movement is good and so does the construction and I can suggest this maker and model.

I hope you enjoyed this review.

Last edited:

seafoam

20/9/09
Thank you for posting. Looks really nice in your photos!! How is the lume/can you post a photo?

iflyjetplanes

Horology Curious
19/7/19
Interested in how “puffy” the triangle and markers are for this rep. Usually a dead giveaway that it’s not even close to a gen if they don’t puff out at all.

David1886

3/6/19
Thank you for posting. Looks really nice in your photos!! How is the lume/can you post a photo?

The lume is great and clearly green and precisely applied. I will post a photo as soon as I have the chance.

Reactions: seafoam

David1886

3/6/19
Photo of the movement !!!

nature-highlight-04496.jpg

nature-highlight-04493.jpg

At first sight I'd say it is really mind blowing, it even has the IWC logo and mvmt number printed with laser near the balance well. That's a heck of a detail...

Last edited:

IWC_man

Known Member
19/4/18
Sydney, Australia
can you confirm the date wheel has a textured finish too??

i looked at the GEN and this stood out quickly when the date wheel somewhat matched the dial

GEN example

Mark-XVIII-date-wheel.jpg

David1886

3/6/19
can you confirm the date wheel has a textured finish too??

i looked at the GEN and this stood out quickly when the date wheel somewhat matched the dial

GEN example

Mark-XVIII-date-wheel.jpg

yeah it is the same fine graining feeling and numbers are well printed.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Thanks for the review. How about the rotor noise of the M+F version? 1.completely silent? Or 2.little noise? Or 3.obvious noise? 4.Loud noise? David1886

David1886

3/6/19
The rotor is deadly silent while it is on the wrist. Just the ticking noise of the seconds hand is a little bit high for my standards but nothing to worry about.

Reactions: vcappp

brav0

Horology Curious
24/2/19
Thanks for the review. How about the rotor noise of the M+F version? 1.completely silent? Or 2.little noise? Or 3.obvious noise? 4.Loud noise? David1886

I just picked up a M+F ref326901. It is LOUD. I didn't know the 2892 clone movement would be so loud otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up. You can hear it audibly from 2 feet away in a semi quiet room. Like I can hear it above my laptop fan noise.

Reactions: vcappp

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
I just picked up a M+F ref326901. It is LOUD. I didn't know the 2892 clone movement would be so loud otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up. You can hear it audibly from 2 feet away in a semi quiet room. Like I can hear it above my laptop fan noise.

The rotor is deadly silent while it is on the wrist. Just the ticking noise of the seconds hand is a little bit high for my standards but nothing to worry about.

brav0 David1886 thanks for the both answers. Wow. Two experiences are very opposite. Did you open the caseback to see what movement it is actually? thanks.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
If there is a 2892 clone inside you have a good chance to make an easy swap against an ETA 2892. You'll find it on eBay.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

brav0

Horology Curious
24/2/19
brav0 David1886 thanks for the both answers. Wow. Two experiences are very opposite. Did you open the caseback to see what movement it is actually? thanks.

Sorry I misspoke. The rotor movement is not loud. It's not silky smooth but it's quiet. The ticking noise is what is obnoxiously loud.