• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Totally messed up my favorite watch - HELP!

dbrown1395

Known Member
19/2/12
Hey Guys

Could use some advice and direction if you can help.

Have an IWC Big Pilot with working PR - just beautiful with grey dial and brown leather strap.

I had an issue and took it in to a local watch smith here in Clearwater, Florida. He said he knows reps and can fix anything.

Well, the guy replaced the beautiful large Big Pilot oversized crown with some cheesy ridiculous crown, threw away the actual crown and said this was necessary to do to get the watch running smooth. He also scratched the back when opening and closing the case.

Since that time, the watch has stopped working.

I'm at a loss. Just can't believe I let this happen.

I would love it if there is someone out there we know and trust that I can send my Big Pilot to who can get it flying again, with a proper crown.

Anyone know anyone who can help?

dbrown1395

Known Member
19/2/12
Can you send pics

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

d4cd3993728922cdf5d764cca2f8cdac.jpg

047e9e3ef6e602cb4dac4e768c5a40fd.jpg

3dbf1872f57186006634b7625a06ab6f.jpg

I can upload more and even open the case back. Just let me know what photos to take and I will.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
Good lord why would he do thy and throw the crown away? Well the good news is I have bought a crown before so you can get them again. Good luck fixing it back up bro.

Sent from the RWI App

dbrown1395

Known Member
19/2/12
I'm telling you I was ready to go postal when I saw this.

And then, after a week, it stops (was not winding properly earlier).

Anyone know where I should start? Who I can send this to and give them my money to put Humpty Dumpty back together again?

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Somehow I have a feeling your beautiful IWC crown is already installed on a different watch... either his own watch or another client's watch

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
How much did you pay for the watch?? … How much did the watch smith charge you?? … It may be best to cut your losses and get a new watch ……..

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Holy crap! It's sad to see this.. such a cool watch ruined by a negligent watchsmith. You can ask TD'S for a new crown and maybe search for another watch Smith so that he can fix the mechanical issue. Wish you the best of luck, mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dbrown1395

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Never ever take it back to that watchsmith. I think its time for you to buy a ZF Big Pilot.

Reactions: Nivka

dbrown1395

Known Member
19/2/12
How much did you pay for the watch?? … How much did the watch smith charge you?? … It may be best to cut your losses and get a new watch ……..

Yeah. Originally paid about $350 for the watch. Ran well and all fine for 3 years. Then winding issues -- normal servicing issues -- started to show. Took it to this apparently reputable and competent smith and he charged $125.

I would love to order a new watch, but reached out to a couple of TDs and didn't hear back. I've mostly always gone with M2M sales and these seldom come up. I would love to just re-order but don't know who to go with or where to start.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Not a watchsmith but abutcher....maybe he doesn't like reps and he knows you are not going to sue him...what a jerk, he probably has sold your crown.....

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Puretime will have what you want, and Angus will email you back .. After you find what you want, contact him on the PT website and PM him here .. This is your chance to upgrade! ,,

dbrown1395

Known Member
19/2/12
Puretime will have what you want, and Angus will email you back .. After you find what you want, contact him on the PT website and PM him here .. This is your chance to upgrade! ,,

Your right. Going to figure out how to do this and bite the bullet.

Thanks for the suggestion. Time to get over my loss here and GET ANOTHER REP!!!!

Going shopping...

pattyshack

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/19
Holy moly I would never take a watch back there again. Time for an upgrade??

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Your right. Going to figure out how to do this and bite the bullet.

Thanks for the suggestion. Time to get over my loss here and GET ANOTHER REP!!!!

Going shopping...

You'll be glad you did in the long run …. ..