• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New release from ZF: Portuguese Tourbillon

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
It's 43mm, which normally would be huge for me. But the lugs are short and very sharp pointed downwards. So it sits like a much smaller watch. I don't feel much difference from my 40mm Breguet which has straight longer lugs.

Thanks for the headsup on that - I may have to pull the trigger on it. It'll be my second IWC!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for the headsup on that - I may have to pull the trigger on it. It'll be my second IWC!

I think if you have a 16,5 cm / 6,5 inch wrist, then you can wear it. Maybe a smaller wrist than that a 43mm watch can seem a bit too big. If you are in doubt go to an IWC dealer and try on a 43mm.

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
I think if you have a 16,5 cm / 6,5 inch wrist, then you can wear it. Maybe a smaller wrist than that a 43mm watch can seem a bit too big. If you are in doubt go to an IWC dealer and try on a 43mm.

Really good idea - I think I am indeed around a 6.5 inch/16.5 cm wrist and my Royal Oak feels about the limit of what I would say is comfortably big but I see what you're saying in relation to the short lugs and therefore how it sits. I'll actually find my local IWC dealer and try one on. Thanks!

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
I gave 220 euro inclusive of DHL Express delivery within Europe. You can get it with normal delivery for around 200 euro. Expensive but worth it :)

KilowattHour
Can you tell me about that YLF IWC, is it true that the power reserve is three whole days, or even more? Also, does it have an overwinding protection? An ALS tourbillion uses Seagull movement which simply blocks the crown rotation if you keep winding it, but this looks like maybe a more advanced movement (it has a separate seconds dial).

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Can you tell me about that YLF IWC, is it true that the power reserve is three whole days, or even more? Also, does it have an overwinding protection? An ALS tourbillion uses Seagull movement which simply blocks the crown rotation if you keep winding it, but this looks like maybe a more advanced movement (it has a separate seconds dial).

I haven't measured it but normally i rotate my watches after 2 days. I give it a full wind the first day, wear it for 2 days and afterwards it's still running for a while. I can't tell you the exact power reserve but it is maybe 2,5 or 3 days.
Haven't noticed any issue with overwinding it. It doesn't block. I just wind it counter-clockwise for 3/4 of a turn before i pull the crown out to set the time. That way you dont damage the stem.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
I haven't measured it but normally i rotate my watches after 2 days. I give it a full wind the first day, wear it for 2 days and afterwards it's still running for a while. I can't tell you the exact power reserve but it is maybe 2,5 or 3 days.
Haven't noticed any issue with overwinding it. It doesn't block. I just wind it counter-clockwise for 3/4 of a turn before i pull the crown out to set the time. That way you dont damage the stem.
Thanks! And sorry, one more question: Is the strap you've purchased for this watch a 21/18mm size or 22/18mm?

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
KilowattHour yes. The specs of the strap i ordered with Jacobs:

PORTUGUES GARNET ALLIGATOR VINTAGE ITALIAN - LENGTH : S 115/65MM (WRIST SIZE 15 TO 16 CM), WIDTH : 22/18MM, BUCKLE : CLÁSICO POLISHED, LINING : ORANGE CALF

Sorry for the capital letters - copy paste from my account.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
He changed it to 70mm length as my wrist is 16.5cm.
Thanks so much - Since I'm probably going to order it, I might ask for a slight size adjustment like that also. Good to know he can adjust the size on request.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
So I ordered the gray dial YLF manual wind model - and today I get the QC pics... of a gray dial automatic ZF model. It looks gorgeous on pictures, but I just don't like that the automatic is 1mm thicker than the manual model, so I had to refuse it. They seem identical otherwise, so I'm not surprised someone got the order wrong.

What's weird is that I can't even find the ZF automatic model with gray dial on puretime site.

Last edited:

Brook1ja

13/2/19
So I ordered the gray dial YLF manual wind model - and today I get the QC pics... of a gray dial automatic ZF model. It looks gorgeous on pictures, but I just don't like that the automatic is 1mm thicker than the manual model, so I had to refuse it. They seem identical otherwise, so I'm not surprised someone got the order wrong.

What's weird is that I can't even find the ZF automatic model with gray dial on puretime site.

Mind sharing the QC Pics just for fun? I'd like to see how the actual watch looked.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
In the meantime, I've received the correct version of the watch - the manual winding one. It's beautiful, but I was waiting to receive the new strap to start wearing it, so it was more or less sitting in the box for a month until the new strap arrived. I was only handling it carefully a few times to wind it, and see how it works.
Well, now that the strap has arrived and I started flipping the watch back and forth to replace the strap, I noticed that something seemingly pretty heavy is rattling inside the watch.It's almost as if the whole movement is shifting inside or something - but I don't see the movement or hands actually shifting when I tilt it back and forth. Nothing visible is happening as far as I can see, and the watch is working fine. Is this something that I should attempt to repair myself, or should I try to ask the TD to fix it (or contact someone like Strodda to fix it)?

Last edited:

KilowattHour

18/4/19
KilowattHour yes. The specs of the strap i ordered with Jacobs:

PORTUGUES GARNET ALLIGATOR VINTAGE ITALIAN - LENGTH : S 115/65MM (WRIST SIZE 15 TO 16 CM), WIDTH : 22/18MM, BUCKLE : CLÁSICO POLISHED, LINING : ORANGE CALF

Sorry for the capital letters - copy paste from my account.
I have ordered pretty much exact same one btw, only the version for a deployant buckle, and it looks great! Now of course, I can't really use it due to a watch problem described above, but Jacobs id really a top-notch strap maker.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
KilowattHour Mine does the same thing, although it's only if i shake the watch. They haven't fixated the movement inside the case with a screw i think. It's a bit loose, because the movement is slimmer than the space in the case. When you shake the watch it moves forth and back. That's what i think.

When you shake it while holding a hand on the crown it doesn't sound like that. Then you can only hear the tourby rattle a little (which is normal). The reason is that when you hold the crown you are then "holding" the movement in place via the stem.

Don't worry. Just don't drop the watch or slam it against something it will be fine. Which shouldn't be done to any watch anyway...so :)

Last edited:

KilowattHour

18/4/19
KilowattHour Mine does the same thing, although it's only if i shake the watch. They haven't fixated the movement inside the case with a screw i think. It's a bit loose, because the movement is slimmer than the space in the case. When you shake the watch it moves forth and back. That's what i think.

When you shake it while holding a hand on the crown it doesn't sound like that. Then you can only hear the tourby rattle a little (which is normal). The reason is that when you hold the crown you are then "holding" the movement in place via the stem.

Don't worry. Just don't drop the watch or slam it against something it will be fine. Which shouldn't be done to any watch anyway...so :)
That is precisely what I noticed - when I press on the crown firmly, the rattling stops. But if I'm not pressing the crown, I don't really even have to shake it to notice this - if I just turn it upside down and back, I can hear the whole movement move inside :\
I don't think this is normal tbh - I know someone with this exact same watch, only in different color, and he's saying there's nothing rattling inside. I wonder if getting it fixed is an easy DIY thing, or if I should send it somewhere.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
That is precisely what I noticed - when I press on the crown firmly, the rattling stops. But if I'm not pressing the crown, I don't really even have to shake it to notice this - if I just turn it upside down and back, I can hear the whole movement move inside :\
I don't think this is normal tbh - I know someone with this exact same watch, only in different color, and he's saying there's nothing rattling inside. I wonder if getting it fixed is an easy DIY thing, or if I should send it somewhere.

Hmm sounds like the rattling in your watch is much worse than in mine. It can damage the movement if it's so much, because of the vibrations by everyday use. If you are experienced with opening watches etc you can do it. Or else you have to send it to someone i'm afraid. Also it's an expensive watch to experiment and learn watchmaking on. Only open it if you've opened a lot of watches before would my advice be.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Hmm sounds like the rattling in your watch is much worse than in mine. It can damage the movement if it's so much, because of the vibrations by everyday use. If you are experienced with opening watches etc you can do it. Or else you have to send it to someone i'm afraid. Also it's an expensive watch to experiment and learn watchmaking on. Only open it if you've opened a lot of watches before would my advice be.
It's not like it sounds that there's a lot of loose parts inside, just a single dull *thud* every time I rock it back and forth. I'm worried precisely that it could damage the hands or the cylinder they are mounted on. I think I'll contact Strodda and see how it goes. I think it should be an easy fix for someone experienced, but not for me.

Edit - I've confirmed looking at it with the loupe: The whole inside of the watch shifts back and forth a bit if I tilt the watch. Literally everything including the dial, lol. So I guess this is not AS bad as I thought (I thought that the dial is fixed in place,but the movement rattles, putting the pressure on the cylinder that holds hands. I'll try tightening the caseback screws a bit, but if that doesn't help, I'll have it serviced. Watch this nice looking doesn't deserve to rattle like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057