• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Iwc portofino Gen replication out from AF

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
Time_Wizard Thank you for these pictures. Could you confirm which factory the watch is from is if it is the A2892 or Miyota movement? TD would also be appreciated.

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Time_Wizard Thank you for these pictures. Could you confirm which factory the watch is from is if it is the A2892 or Miyota movement? TD would also be appreciated.

It was AF factory as this thread is about his watch. The AF has an A2824 movement.
Any TD can source this watch for you!

Just for your information: if you made a mistake or forgot something in a post you can edit it and don't need to post it one more time.

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
Yes, apologies. I couldn’t see the option to edit/delete on my phone and it appears to have triple posted when I refreshed!

Thanks for confirming this is AF. The reason for my question is that I have been trying for some time to source the watch in RG from AF but have been told by multiple TD’s that they only manufacture in SS. I was looking for a 2892 movement so wasn’t aware it was available in 2824. If you could recommend your TD, would be appreciated.

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
Ah, it appears that your watch is infact SS. The yellow hue makes it look like it’s RG at a glimpse. Back to the drawing board!

Reactions: Time_Wizard

carlosl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/18
It was AF factory as this thread is about his watch. The AF has an A2824 movement.

Just for your information: if you made a mistake or forgot something in a post you can edit it and don't need to post it one more time.

Is the A2824 movement considered reliable?

Also, does this movement have any limitations on when you are able to change the date without fear of damaging the movement?

Thanks in advance!

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Is the A2824 movement considered reliable?

Also, does this movement have any limitations on when you are able to change the date without fear of damaging the movement?

Thanks in advance!

It's not really a case of whether the movement is reliable. If you handed the parts of an Asian clone 2824 to an accomplished watchmaker in sterile conditions then the movement, like most of the Asian clones, it would likely function pretty well - there are few 'weak points' like used to be the case with the earlier 3135 cloves and Asian 7750 - but the assembly is the big question mark.

Most of the issues with movements are down to poor assembly.

One positive about the a2824 is it is not only fully interchangeable with the Swiss 2824, but you can switch it out for the swisss completely with no required amendments, as I did with all of my 2824 devices over time. I even had a Swiss 2824 converted to low beat with swiss parts -no issues at all.

Regarding the date change, it's just good practice to change between the safe hours regardless of the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Btw, the buyer that was looking for the a2892 version - I can understand why. It's just a nicer movement generally and the clone is also pretty good. It's still subject to the same issues of being assembled in a dirty factory but a good 2892 is the baseline movement for many gen movements- both IWC and Omega have used it - so I would be of the same mindset

Reactions: pippo

carlosl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/18
It's not really a case of whether the movement is reliable. If you handed the parts of an Asian clone 2824 to an accomplished watchmaker in sterile conditions then the movement, like most of the Asian clones, it would likely function pretty well - there are few 'weak points' like used to be the case with the earlier 3135 cloves and Asian 7750 - but the assembly is the big question mark.

Most of the issues with movements are down to poor assembly.

One positive about the a2824 is it is not only fully interchangeable with the Swiss 2824, but you can switch it out for the swisss completely with no required amendments, as I did with all of my 2824 devices over time. I even had a Swiss 2824 converted to low beat with swiss parts -no issues at all.

Regarding the date change, it's just good practice to change between the safe hours regardless of the movement.

This is a very helpful post.

Regarding the date change, I have never heard of such concerns before. But I have been mostly focused on the Rolex sphere.

Is the "safe date change" procedure specific to the Asian clone a2824 movement? Or does is this best practice for a Gen as well?

ssouthall6

10/10/13
This is a very helpful post.

Regarding the date change, I have never heard of such concerns before. But I have been mostly focused on the Rolex sphere.

Is the "safe date change" procedure specific to the Asian clone a2824 movement? Or does is this best practice for a Gen as well?

Unless it's a 3135 it's an issue for most quickset movements, rep or gen, due to the prolonged disengagement of the gears

resynee

Horology Curious
13/1/21
A question for who has this beautiful watch: is it true that the movement noise is pretty loud? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
A question for who has this beautiful watch: is it true that the movement noise is pretty loud? Thanks in advance.

Its as loud as the rest of a2824 movements. You can hear it a bit louder .... I think its because the Case is smaller and not so robust. I have a few GENs with an ETA 2824 / 2836 in Chrono grade and they make the same amount of noise.

Reactions: resynee

anarchos

Horology Curious
5/2/21

Post #1 of this thread seems to indicate the AF has a A2892 movement (I can't read Chinese but the numbers are there in the gen vs rep movement photos) and post #13 also states his AF has a A2892. I can't get a message into my TD due to CNY still to confirm, but can anyone confirm or deny that the AF Portofino in fact has a A2824? It seems about halfway through this thread everyone started talking about the A2824 instead of the A2892, although I might be getting a little confused here with all the back and forth between MKS/AF comparisons...

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Post #1 of this thread seems to indicate the AF has a A2892 movement (I can't read Chinese but the numbers are there in the gen vs rep movement photos) and post #13 also states his AF has a A2892. I can't get a message into my TD due to CNY still to confirm, but can anyone confirm or deny that the AF Portofino in fact has a A2824? It seems about halfway through this thread everyone started talking about the A2824 instead of the A2892, although I might be getting a little confused here with all the back and forth between MKS/AF comparisons...

AFAIK its a 2824

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
After almost giving up on sourcing a IWC Portofino with an A2892 movement in Rose Gold (I was told that factory AF only do this with a MIYOTA movement), I have recently seen that factory V7F claim to offer the watch with a A2892 movement in Rose Gold.

Does anyone know much about this watch? It appears he listed as the ‘150 Years’ version. A brief look online, I couldn’t see a RG version of this released GEN, just SS.

Thanks

MarcMC

Horology Curious
31/3/21
After almost giving up on sourcing a IWC Portofino with an A2892 movement in Rose Gold (I was told that factory AF only do this with a MIYOTA movement), I have recently seen that factory V7F claim to offer the watch with a A2892 movement in Rose Gold.

Does anyone know much about this watch? It appears he listed as the ‘150 Years’ version. A brief look online, I couldn’t see a RG version of this released GEN, just SS.

Thanks

Hi, maybe you can help me, i've been searching for the RG Portofino for a while now. Where can i found the RG version AF or V7F. And wich one would you say its the better one?

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16

Thanks

There’s V7 RG but I don’t if it available, https://puretimewatch.io/portofino-...n-gray-dial-on-brown-croco-strap-eta2892.html

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Anyone recive QC from JF ??

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
ZZZZZZ..........zzzzzzzzzz..........ZZZZZZZZZ.......snort, sniffel..........,.,.ZZZZZZZZZZZZ