• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any issues with MK Factory Portofino rose gold???

HSN

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/17
I'm considering a Portofino in Rose Gold (I'm after a dress watch with a brown strap) but am worried about the gold fading...
Can anyone with a MK V4/V5 advise on whether you have had any issues with the gold fading - I plan to wear the watch quite often so fading is worrying me.

I know that the MK V4 has NWBIG status in a white dial, I take it this is for the steel version only (I.e. not the RG one)??

The perfect watch for me would be a steel case, gold hour indices and a brown strap, does anyone know if such a rep exists OOTB?

HSN

19/2/17
That's great, I hadn't seen that combo. Do you know if this is a MK Factory watch?

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17

Sorry that I interfere, this version has the wrong crown. I dont know the maker of the link though. Might be an older mkf but not sure.
The latest versions of this watch all mount a myiota movement which is reliable and overall pretty ok but sometimes the rotor can be a little bit loud. The older mk factory versions have mounted an A292 movement which was pretty good but it had issues with the markers and the date window position if i remember right. It is your choice.

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
I just received my MK V5. Put it straight on a genuine lizard strap as the rep strap is absolute sh!t.
First Pic is of my Gen, the rest is the MK V5, I will do a proper rep vs Gen comparison in the near future. Sorry for the crap Pic, don't have the Gen with me currently...

1PdT8.jpg
​​​​​​
1P9qy.jpg

1Pxba.jpg

1PoMG.jpg

1PfAq.jpg

NewFan0803

15/1/16
hadamokel Looking awesome ! How does the weight of the rep feel to you ? Also does the stamps (AU750) on the rep caseback stand out significantly from your gen?

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
Well weight is off. Gen is solid gold, rep is only steel. But I can't tell you by how much it's off as I don't have a scale...
Anyways: Gen first (it's been worn, so not polished clean)
IVy9T.jpg

Now rep
IVJ6A.jpg

To me it's close enough.
The rep case back is finished spectacularly.
Sorry for the different lighting conditions.

Will do an in depth comparison with many pics probably next week.

NewFan0803

15/1/16
Thanks for the pics !
Your gen stamps are defo more pronounced and deeper than the rep’s. It s hard to replicate that stamping process i suppose

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
Thanks for the pics !
Your gen stamps are defo more pronounced and deeper than the rep’s. It s hard to replicate that stamping process i suppose

Yes the cutout around the stamping is deeper on the Gen. I don't think it's hard to replicate, but we are talking about a 280$ rep here, which is very close to Gen in its overall appearance. As long as the drawbacks are on the caseback, I'm happy :)

Reactions: NewFan0803

NewFan0803

15/1/16
True - lookwise i think the MK s pretty close
Is your movement also ticking very loudly as well ? Mine sounds like a time bomb on the wrist sometimes lol

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
True - lookwise i think the MK s pretty close
Is your movement also ticking very loudly as well ? Mine sounds like a time bomb on the wrist sometimes lol

Actually no, it's pretty silent. Not louder than my A2824 or 2836. Handwinding also feels extremely smooth. Overall very pleased with it so far.

HSN

19/2/17
Very insightful comparison, thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
Great comparison! Out of curiosity does the rep make you want to sell the gen or would you just keep both?

I think the rep is all you'll ever need. The Gen is nice, but it costs 42 times more than the rep. Its not 42 times better though.

We will see how the gold plating will last over time... :)

Reactions: NewFan0803

NewFan0803

15/1/16
I think the rep is all you'll ever need. The Gen is nice, but it costs 42 times more than the rep. Its not 42 times better though.

We will see how the gold plating will last over time... :)

My own observation on the gold plating of my Portofino chrono is that after 2.5 years (bought it May 2016) it s still holding quite well
Let's set a reminder to review this again in 15 years time lol

jacobpegpog

Horology Curious
29/5/19
Gents, resurfacing this thread as I would like to pull the trigger on the Portofino in Rose Gold w/ A2892 movement to give me the option to swap in gen parts.

I’ve done so much research I’m not sure if I’m going back over old ground - shoutout to
hadamokel - but, is this a new model from MK? It seems to address the DW issue on other RG’s where the thickness of the font was too bold.

https://www.intime04.co/iwc/2512-po...-v2-white-dial-rg-a2892-on-black-leather.html

Are there any flaws here I’m missing? AR?

Thanks.