• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Top Gun 3787 Chrono striped crown

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Hello guys,
as we already know there on the older IWC Top Gun models the crown is very likely to strip and after that the crown cannot be screwed in anymore.
What happens if I put a GEN ETA7750 movement in the watch and use a non stripped rep crown. Will that protect the crown from stripping from longterm use? Or do I need the GEN crown to prevent it from stripping.
Would be great if you could share me your thought on this. Thank you very much!

Sent from the RWI App

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Movement does not impact the likelihood to strip the crown threads. Gen crown are more robust and is a good solution but they can fail as well. The issue of the stripped crown is between crown and tub even if being the crown the "softer" part is it usually the crown to fail. Replacing the tub as well helps so helps screwing down in the correct way. I usually search for the first thread rotating in the opposite way and gently pushing down, when I find the engagement point then I screw down the crown

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Movement does not impact the likelihood to strip the crown threads. Gen crown are more robust and is a good solution but they can fail as well. The issue of the stripped crown is between crown and tub even if being the crown the "softer" part is it usually the crown to fail. Replacing the tub as well helps so helps screwing down in the correct way. I usually search for the first thread rotating in the opposite way and gently pushing down, when I find the engagement point then I screw down the crown

Thank you, much appreciated.
Incase the crown on the top gun chrono 3787 will strip:
- Does the old top gun chrono 3787 take a replacement crown of the newer models? Can they be ordered single at the TD?
- Do the new top gun chronos with second at 6 use the same or a similiar crown as the lastest second at 9 models.
- Will it be difficult to source a gen top gun 3787crown?

I would consider all 3 options if the crowns fit in the movement and if they are not too far off from the one currently installed. Please let me know.
Thanks a lot.

Sent from the RWI App

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Thank you, much appreciated.
Incase the crown on the top gun chrono 3787 will strip:
- Does the old top gun chrono 3787 take a replacement crown of the newer models? Can they be ordered single at the TD?
- Do the new top gun chronos with second at 6 use the same or a similiar crown as the lastest second at 9 models.
- Will it be difficult to source a gen top gun 3787crown?

I would consider all 3 options if the crowns fit in the movement and if they are not too far off from the one currently installed. Please let me know.
Thanks a lot.

Sent from the RWI App

You can get parts from TDs but it is not always easy to convince them to do that - I got a stem+crown for a big pilot to replace a stem that was cut too long and would not screw in all the way but I had to ask many times (beg).

The old and new models - I don't know if the new crowns will screw on older tubes but they will not match the look anyway, newer models are bigger.

Usually gen crowns don't fit the rep (tubes) but again I don't know how it was for the 3787.

you can oil a bit the contact area and screw carefully like fabbe79 said above then you can relax and enjoy your watch : )

Last edited:

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
What kind of oil would you recommend for the contact area? I assume you are talking about oiling the thread of the tube right?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Yes, inside the tube. I use a soft thin paintbrush to reach inside. Since this does not go into the watch mechanics I use WD40 as it also repells water. So far it worked well for me.