• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Portuguese Chrono V3 ZF movement reliability

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Hi guys,

I am interested in the IWC Portuguese Chrono V3 by ZF (compare the link for exact model):

https://www.intime03.co/iwc/3290-po...lue-markers-on-blue-leather-strap-a79350.html

I got several questions that I could not find:

1. Intime says the watch has a new slim movement and no more the A7750. Is this movement reliable for longterm use and can it be easily swapped in terms of availability with another movement?
2. Does the strap has curved lugs?
3. are there any big flaws or tells that I should know about on this model?

Thank you very much.

Sent from the RWI App

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Can't comment on point 2 or 3. I imagine if you looked deeper into the IWC forum that has already been covered.

I had a ZF V1 I believe, and it was very accurate in terms of time keeping and PR. Watch performed great, although a screw or something came off and basically froze the movement. I didn't care about ripping the watch apart to find it and just sold it off.

I think if the movement craps out, you'd be better off just purchasing an entirely new watch instead of going through the hassle of sourcing a new one from China, removing the existing movement and swapping in the new one.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
So it can not be easily swapped with a new movement if it breaks down? Can somebody else comment on this, it would help me a lot. Thanks!

It think the v1 had the old modified a7750
Movement which was not interchangeable very easy if broken down. I am talking about the newer slim movement that that latest version by zf has.

ffuhcu

14/7/16
The movement is modified in a more gen like fashion, the gen is also a 7750 and with this newer slim movement the factories are transferring the seconds at 6 quite like IWC do.

Its ts a pretty rock solid movement, I’ve mess d with the chrono loads on mine and had no problems. Usual 7750 advice about when and how to stop and reset the chrono would apply.

AFAIK it’s the same movement ARF are using now in their Daytonas.

The speingbars are straight. I think the 5007 (non chrono, 7 days) are

Reactions: hp106

ffuhcu

14/7/16
... are curved.

Main tell on these are the overly shiny subdials. It doesn’t look bad, but it’s not quite gen like. Beautiful watch though, I have the gold digit version.

YLF has less shiny subdials so some prefer that factory, i think maybe the colour and finish on the dial isn’t as beautiful as the gen / ZF, but nice still.

Budget for a new strap though, rep faux gator straps don’t do the watch justice. There are some great makers on here, or if you are on a budget check ziczac leather.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I have the YLF which has the same movement.

It’s the best rep movement I’ve ever had, it winds so smooth, is incredibly accurate and has a strong power reserve. The chrono functions very well, although I only use it occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Thank you very much for your feedback that was the info I was looking for.
One last thing is open to me: what can I do if the movement breaks down one day? Can it be easily swapped with a new movement and what movement must I order then?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
The factory would probably sell you a replacement movement for as much as a new watch. So your best bet is to just buy a new one if it breaks down, but to be honest that could be 5 years +. No one knows, just buy and enjoy. I guarantee you you'll end up flipping the watch or buying other variants once you get into this hobby.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
The factory would probably sell you a replacement movement for as much as a new watch. So your best bet is to just buy a new one if it breaks down, but to be honest that could be 5 years +. No one knows, just buy and enjoy. I guarantee you you'll end up flipping the watch or buying other variants once you get into this hobby.

Ok thank you for that info. So for this model it will not be possible to swap for GEN movement and replace the modified slim movement with an ETA7750 or another suitable movement that I can get myself from the market. I will always need the modified movement from ZF since nothing else will fit. Did I get it right?

Sent from the RWI App

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Ok thank you for that info. So for this model it will not be possible to swap for GEN movement and replace the modified slim movement with an ETA7750 or another suitable movement that I can get myself from the market. I will always need the modified movement from ZF since nothing else will fit. Did I get it right?

Sent from the RWI App

No idea. At this point, if you want to swap in a gen movement you might as well buy a gen as they're not overly expensive.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Thank you tomboy for your input. so I try to sum it up. The new slim movement of the latest ZF versions is an A7750 which was modified to get the seconds at 6 running instead of at the genuine 9 o clock position. When the slim movement breaks down it will not be easy to get single parts for it and in general it is better to buy a new watch then. Did I state this right? Please correct me if i get something wrong.

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Thank you tomboy for your input. so I try to sum it up. The new slim movement of the latest ZF versions is an A7750 which was modified to get the seconds at 6 running instead of at the genuine 9 o clock position. When the slim movement breaks down it will not be easy to get single parts for it and in general it is better to buy a new watch then. Did I state this right? Please correct me if i get something wrong.

Yes.

thaboomski

Horology Curious
19/4/22
EU
ZoomBoy Old post, and stupid questions, but: Could you give me some directions as to what precautions I should take when using the chrono function with a ZF slimmed down a7750 movement?

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
ZoomBoy Old post, and stupid questions, but: Could you give me some directions as to what precautions I should take when using the chrono function with a ZF slimmed down a7750 movement?

It's been a while since I owned this watch, but you can either play it 2 ways from my perspective:
  • Use the chrono whenever you want and replace it when the watch breaks
  • Never use the chrono and it may last longer

thaboomski

Horology Curious
19/4/22
EU
Okay, I understand, thank you!
How come the movement cant handle the chrono function given that IWC themselves use the 7750? Less reliable movement of the seconds hand, or something else?

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Okay, I understand, thank you!
How come the movement cant handle the chrono function given that IWC themselves use the 7750? Less reliable movement of the seconds hand, or something else?

Well it can handle it as well as any other Asian 7750. Nothing special with the IWC Rep here.
So the chrono is just prone to break on the Asian movement.

thaboomski

Horology Curious
19/4/22
EU
Aha, I see. Do you have any idea how hard it is to swap an a7750 in a rep?
Thank you for the explanation!

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Aha, I see. Do you have any idea how hard it is to swap an a7750 in a rep?
Thank you for the explanation!

If it is a plain a7750 it is a no brainer. However In the IWC case the A7750 is modded to shift the seconds hand to 6.
So the easiest option is to buy a cheap M2M watch as a backup and swap the movement or you find a skilled watchmaker who has the time to check what is wrong and try transplanting from a A7750 to the IWC A7750.
If you are based in EU and that happens to you let me know. Repairing reps is no fun sometimes.

Reactions: thaboomski

thaboomski

Horology Curious
19/4/22
EU
Yeah, I figured it would be harder with the IWC A7750.
Thank you, will definitely give you a shout if my potential (who am I kidding) IWC craps out.

lappassionato

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/8/22
italy
The A7750 slim movement for Portuguese 3714 is divided in 2 modules as gen movement 79350 ?
I see first gen 79350 module on eBay and i was wondering if can be a substitute for first part of mine A7750.