• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New MKS version of the XVIII

nks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Just received my MKS V2. It is nice looking watch but am disappointed with the finishing of the case. I noticed that the inside edges of lug is very sharp and I can feel sharp edges on the back of the case.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Just received my MKS V2. It is nice looking watch but am disappointed with the finishing of the case. I noticed that the inside edges of lug is very sharp and I can feel sharp edges on the back of the case.

Not a big issue, the lower case edging can be easily softened by hand, some 400 grit sandpaper correctly applied with few controlled strokes along the brushed grain, does the trick. Refinished if required with a Scotchbrite green pad (standard green Scotchbrite produces 600-800 grit brushed finish, depending on pressure during brushing) for matched cca 600 - 800 grit brushed finish the XVIII case is finished with.

As for the Miyota 9015, as others have said, it's not perfect mov't for this model but when it comes to reliability and easy outright replacement cost and availability as spare part - very few movt's can match it. Mine isn't even near as noisy as some reported it in this thread. Some of my ETA 2824s and 2836s powered watches (gens) are even noisier, so calm down, no need for concern.
The hand stack pinion height isn't an issue in real life as the tech specs would lead you to believe. I have the new MKS V2 XVIII and compared it with a gen, the difference is unnoticeable with a naked eye.

Cheers,
babs

Reactions: pompompurin

nks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Not a big issue, the lower case edging can be easily softened by hand, some 400 grit sandpaper correctly applied with few controlled strokes along the brushed grain, does the trick. Refinished if required with a Scotchbrite green pad (standard green Scotchbrite produces 600-800 grit brushed finish, depending on pressure during brushing) for matched cca 600 - 800 grit brushed finish the XVIII case is finished with.

As for the Miyota 9015, as others have said, it's not perfect mov't for this model but when it comes to reliability and easy outright replacement cost and availability as spare part - very few movt's can match it. Mine isn't even near as noisy as some reported it in this thread. Some of my ETA 2824s and 2836s powered watches (gens) are even noisier, so calm down, no need for concern.
The hand stack pinion height isn't an issue in real life as the tech specs would lead you to believe. I have the new MKS V2 XVIII and compared it with a gen, the difference is unnoticeable with a naked eye.

Cheers,
babs

Thank you very much for the tips on smoothing the edges! I have no issue with Miyota 9015. Yes, it can be noisy but I find it keeps the time very good.

mohak

Horology Curious
9/8/19
EU

Thanks for the tips! My lower case edges are pretty sharp too but the lugs are almost dangerous. I tried with sandpaper and Scotchbrite but couldn't get the edges any more rounded. How did you guys move the sandpaper? Open for any suggestions!

Apart from that, I'm very satisfied with my new arrival :)

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Looks very nice. Do MKS offer these with the bracelet yet?

mohak

Horology Curious
9/8/19
EU
Looks very nice. Do MKS offer these with the bracelet yet?

Unfortunately not. I was looking for a Portofino-style mesh. In the end I just bought a 50$ one from a local mall...

Last edited:

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
The pictures show a simple asian movement, no real ETA. I'd buy this watch with the miyota and swap to a real ETA 2892.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
The shape of the lugs of the V7F are closer to gen (see the side profile) and the bracelet (end-links and finishing) looks better too. Otherwise it looks as good as the MKS.
And yes, it is too expensive. I also think it's a chinese movement, after all.
I will order now the MKS v2, again, but this time with the bracelet. Will post pics here when it arrives.

Reactions: pippo

Bassy2000

Known Member
1/12/17
jAOnk.jpg

Very comfortable bracelet. Also adjusting it is easy. I am less lucky with my Miyota 9015 though. Out of all my 9015s this one is the noisiest. Nevertheless a great watch on the bracelet.

Last edited:
Reactions: IWC_man

noname511

Horology Curious
25/9/18
So is v7’s version is the most accurate one with a higher price tag?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI