• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New MKS version of the XVIII

pfrist

Horology Curious
19/7/18
This is my first rep ever, so figured I should post some pics and my thoughts about it. Overall, I'm extremely impressed by the watch and very satisfied with the purchase. There are essentially two components I figure I should discuss: the aesthetics and the movement (Miyota)

Aesthetics
First, the watch feels very solid and well-made. It's light weight and a perfect desk-warrior watch. I'm trying to find a gen to compare it to IRL, but it has already received unsolicited compliments.

My pasty-ass skin serves as a great background for appreciating the colors of the watch. The Dial is a very deep navy that compliments the white accents of the numbers and hands very well. Some more pics:

Strap is solid, but not outstanding. I'm not in love with the color; merowinger absolutely killed it with that blue NATO, which I think is a much better fit.

Movement - Miyota 9015
As you may know, the Miyota movement seems to be the most controversial movement in the Rep world. It is polarizing in the sense that people generally either (a) accept it as a generally satisfactory movement, or (b) literally hitler. I will give my novice and layman’s opinion as to why I don’t mind the movement, as well as the singular drawback that is likely a dealbreaker for many.

Pros
- The movement itself. Especially for this watch, I had difficulty distinguishing the Miyota movement from the actual movement of the IWC Mark XVIII. I enjoy the fast paced rigidity of the movement, both staccato and smooth at the same time. Stop motion, kind of like a Wallace & Gromet movie
- Reliability. Miyota movements are reliable, as well as cheap and easier to fix. You can buy this watch, give it to your father in law, and not worry about it breaking down in a year. *Note, this is purely anecdotal evidence sourced from a seemingly reputable watchsmith in my area. Doubt there’s any real statistical support beyond word of mouth and internet stories.

Con - Noise
What do I mean by “noise”? The Miyota is loud, i.e., you can actually hear the winding and ticking if you move your ear close to the watch. The loudness of Miyotas apparently vary from watch to watch. For my Mark XVII, the range of hearing was about 3 inches from your ear if angled the ear directly at the watch. For me, although not ideal, the noise will not impact my daily life significantly enough to outweigh the beauty of the watch itself. But as a PSA, this will likely only come into play when your girlfriend, boyfriend or secretary is engaging in below the belt calisthenics. Remember folks, keep your watch hand high and dry if you’re rocking a Miyota.

Conclusion
Extremely well made Rep, beautiful to look at and comfortable to wear. My favorite aspect is that I can confidently wear it in any situation - it’s subtly beautiful to normal people without being an ostentatious display, yet is still impressively unique to those with knowledge of the watch world (i.e., nerds like us). Overall, very satisfied with the purchase.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
pfrist thanks for the review. Congratulations.

Regarding the noisy Miyota, you can grease the rotor bearing (seiko recommended grease vs oil apparently) and it makes the noise almost inaudible.

Most watchmakers recommend a drop of oil but i always use grease on cheap movements and it works so well in making the rotor sound disappear.

Personally, i can’t live with a watch that sounds like a freight train when you raise your hand in a quite board room but like I said the miyoyas only require a little lube and you’re good to go.

Reactions: vcappp and pfrist

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
My MK XVIII has almost no noise at all. Unless you place it beside your ear, you can't hear anything on the wrist. Maybe every piece is different.

IWC_man

Known Member
19/4/18
Sydney, Australia
i can confirm also my MKS Mark XVIII has very minimal rotor noise. i have never noticed noise on my wrist, only when taken off the wrist quickly and put on a table.

Reactions: vcappp

IWC_man

Known Member
19/4/18
Sydney, Australia
i think i need this summer edition IWC blue leather lined NATO for my white Mark XVIII.

not sure if ican justfy 115 euro though (without the buckle)

1533197539411.jpg

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
I just got my LPP from Sead last night. Amazing rep....and the rotor isn't noisey at all.

lorepod

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/16
I like leather, even if the original strap is horrible ...

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

zelhomer

Horology Curious
4/3/14
I got my MKS V2 LPP today.
What can I say. It's a great rep. Looks and feels like a gen. Yes, you can hear the Miyota-rotor when you shake the watch.
But it's not a big deal when you wear the watch like a normal human being.
Really love the dial colour and the finish.
For more pics, please see here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=295849&share_fid=21762&share_type=t

0597400f99cf67b32321f585cddfa35a.jpg
295330c2899d58fa7cd0d1c3ffdc3f5e.jpg

Very beautiful!! I’m between the blue and the black and I cannot decide... have you tried it with black strap?

nks

12/9/18
I got my MKS V2 LPP today.
What can I say. It's a great rep. Looks and feels like a gen. Yes, you can hear the Miyota-rotor when you shake the watch.
But it's not a big deal when you wear the watch like a normal human being.
Really love the dial colour and the finish.
For more pics, please see here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=295849&share_fid=21762&share_type=t

0597400f99cf67b32321f585cddfa35a.jpg
295330c2899d58fa7cd0d1c3ffdc3f5e.jpg

Hi,

I am about to get the same watch but my QC photo shows that amplitude is only 243. Do you remember what yours was? Thank you!

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
The miyota 9015 are workhorse movements. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are as stable if not more than genuine swiss eta's. I've had so many 9015s and not a single problem with any of them ever and they keep awesome awesome time.

Just be thankful they are not using the real shitty 8215 movements.Now that would be worth complaining about.

Reactions: babola and erekose

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Guys take note: progressive date change is a feature unique to 9015. Gen does not have it. Gen IWCs like the older version reps have instant date change.
I don’t care about the noise either, but the date change function is a joke compared to 2892.

They used 9015 simply to curtail costs, and there are three problems concomitant:
1. Date change
2. Uni-directional rotor (noise, different feeling)
3. Different mvt specs with possible weight difference and utterly different case construction and hand heights.

If you are enjoying this new version, good for you, but using Miyota 9015 is nowhere gen like.

nks

12/9/18
Curious what strap is that?

I also would like to know what strap this is and where you got it from. I am talking about the navy fabric looking strap in one of your photos (not nato strap). Looks really nice with the watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: mowe83