• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC top gun chrono. Which one to go?

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Hi guys,
I am interested in the IWC top gun chronograph with A7750 movement. I saw this version with seconds at 9 at intime but it is out of stock and it seems to be a rather old version:
https://www.intime03.co/iwc/962-top-gun-pilot-chrono-3789-a7750-.html
1. Can someone recommend this version or does someone know if this rep has any major flaws or issues?
2. I know there is a newer version available but with A7750 and seconds at 6 but I heard that A7750 movements with seconds at 6 aren’t quite reliable in long term use. Can somebody tell me if the seconds at 6 top gun chrono with A7750 is reliable enough? I would also consider taking this one if it is reliable.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:

NoTimeToPepper

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/18
Well, anything can break down. If you have standard A7750 without modifications, you can just get a new movement.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Well, anything can break down. If you have standard A7750 without modifications, you can just get a new movement.

Well I thought for an A7750 movement the seconds at 6 o clock position is not achievable without any modifications and therefore is not that stable longterm. Please let me know if I am wrong

Sent from the RWI App

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
I have one of these, its a great watch, and uses standard 7750 layout. Had it for years and is a bit bad with the reserve so needs a service, but I'm looking at maybe just getting a new movement A7750 and replacing because it looks like it might be cheaper than service.

The watch looks and feels great, real ceramic with titanium pushers and case back. Has a fantastic military look and feel to it, Like you I went for this rather than the modified movments. I have had a couple of modified movements and they all went bad, absolute pain in the ass to fix. I go as standard as possible now, and will never touch anything modified or clone movements, I don't have the time and dedication. I just want a watch that works, and if it stops its easy to fix.

Reactions: vcappp

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
I have one of these, its a great watch, and uses standard 7750 layout. Had it for years and is a bit bad with the reserve so needs a service, but I'm looking at maybe just getting a new movement A7750 and replacing because it looks like it might be cheaper than service.

The watch looks and feels great, real ceramic with titanium pushers and case back. Has a fantastic military look and feel to it, Like you I went for this rather than the modified movments. I have had a couple of modified movements and they all went bad, absolute pain in the ass to fix. I go as standard as possible now, and will never touch anything modified or clone movements, I don't have the time and dedication. I just want a watch that works, and if it stops its easy to fix.

That is exactly my opinion.
1. What model do you have and where did you get it? Can you link me please?
2. Is the watch that you have similiar to the gen or are there any big tells or flaws?

Thank you

Sent from the RWI App

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Not sure exactly, I think it was a V3, cant recall which TD I got it from , been a few years, and I TD hop often.
Its very similar, my friend has the newer topgun with seconds at 6 gen and he couldnt tell.
The biggest tell is the topgun engraving on the case is colored white, rather than dark grey, I got rid of the white paint using acetone and cotton tip. Other thing is on the dial, some people say that the 3,6,9,12 markers stick up too much. The gens also are applied pieces, but just not as tall, but its very small difference, barely noticeable.

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Not sure exactly, I think it was a V3, cant recall which TD I got it from , been a few years, and I TD hop often.
Its very similar, my friend has the newer topgun with seconds at 6 gen and he couldnt tell.
The biggest tell is the topgun engraving on the case is colored white, rather than dark grey, I got rid of the white paint using acetone and cotton tip. Other thing is on the dial, some people say that the 3,6,9,12 markers stick up too much. The gens also are applied pieces, but just not as tall, but its very small difference, barely noticeable.
Same here, confirm hf top gun V3 is a super rep, i removed the white logo, better with the back on black than the wrong white. The marker are thicker but very hard to notice unless you have the gen side by side. It is as close as the gen as possible same 7750 architecture and functions, same ceramic case and titanium parts, top quality and gen feel. I made a review of mine one year ago, maybe you can find it among the pre hack posts here in the iwc section. My chrono works as a charm and any watchsmith can service so it will last forever! Or at lease as you drop it and the ceramic case will explode.. Anyway definitely Not worth buying gen! I cannot see a flaw in the quality of build and materials, markers are thicker but I like them anyway and the I love it with no white logo on the case!

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Same here, confirm hf top gun V3 is a super rep, i removed the white logo, better with the back on black than the wrong white. The marker are thicker but very hard to notice unless you have the gen side by side. It is as close as the gen as possible same 7750 architecture and functions, same ceramic case and titanium parts, top quality and gen feel. I made a review of mine one year ago, maybe you can find it among the pre hack posts here in the iwc section. My chrono works as a charm and any watchsmith can service so it will last forever! Or at lease as you drop it and the ceramic case will explode.. Anyway definitely Not worth buying gen! I cannot see a flaw in the quality of build and materials, markers are thicker but I like them anyway and the I love it with no white logo on the case!

is the H-Fac V3 3789 still available at some TD? Could you link me maybe?

Is this the right version:
https://puretime.io/top-gun-chrono-1...eramic-v2.html

I also found this one, not sure if it is the v3:
http://www.torobravowatch.com/iwc/iwc-top-gun-pilot-chrono-v3-cer-ny.html

I only could find a v2 and no factory name mentioned. Please let me know

Last edited:

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
I asked to puretime to source the hf V3 and give to puretime the torobravo link as example. Double check by email the availability, I got it more than one year ago, and at that time the availability was good but today could be out of stock

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
Ich wrote them it is out of stock :(
Anyone else has an idea?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
I already did, if someone knows someone that got one for sell let me know, please. I would pay accordingly for one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Patience is the key of this hobby! ???? Good luck with your search!

Defender610

Looking Around
14/5/21
Hi everyone!
I m looking for a new case for my top gun replica!
I don't know if it's the right place to post my request but I m new to this community.
Can someone help me and suggest me where to find it?

Thanks in advance

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Hi everyone!
I m looking for a new case for my top gun replica!
I don't know if it's the right place to post my request but I m new to this community.
Can someone help me and suggest me where to find it?

Thanks in advance

Is that supposed to be a ceramic case?

mini-mad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/12
France
That just hurts to see... But a good reminder to be extra careful with a ceramic case.

Aside from asking TDs around top see if they have any leftover stock (which I doubt since this model has been discontinued for a few years already), there is a gen ceramic case going for 1.5K on chrono24. It doesn't have the metal insert so I'm not sure if the rep one could be fitted in there?

If all fails, you'll have to be extra patient and look at the sales section here!