• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC 5009-08 Big Pilot 'Le Petit Prince' [Experimental Purchase Review]

Awesomeo

13/9/13
I've been eyeing up the ZF made LPP Big Pilot for a while - I want a blue faced watch that is different to anything I own, but I was hesitant about the size and how it would suit my wrist.

Enter the experimental model:

hFTQNck.jpg

Off the bat, this is far from the most accurate rep. If you're familiar with the 5009-08's dial, there are some big differences. First up, the power reserve and numeral recesses. On the gen (and better reps) the power reserve dial eats into the 2 a lot more, and also the 4, here only part of the two is obscured.

The power reserve dial however does work, though the reserve obviously isn't going to be 7 days. The dial has a very fine snail trail texture that is only really visible in direct light, however the reflective pattern does make the dial stand out in lower lighting, with a more matte appearance.

PvF4trq.jpg

The numerals and date window have a steel surround that look much more 'piped' than the flat appearance of the gen. This does however catch the light very nicely and makes the numerals stand out at arms length. The minute markings and text are slightly embossed, and the (apparently) sapphire crystal has a gentle dome that creates a minor magnification at an angle.

fPUzP8c.jpg

As you can see above, the dial looks very different depending on where the light is coming from. Ranging from black, to navy, to vibrant electric blue, I am really impressed with the sunburst effect. I definitely am in love with blue face watches, and this might have sparked a dangerous addiction.

PvF4trq.jpg

LN9LooY.jpg

IL9AtWD.jpg
EMRkkLT.jpg

The case is solid and well made. The edges are brushed, with a shiny surfaced fixed bezel. The crown is engraved, and whilst the shape is not 100% accurate, it's nicely riveted. The crown winding does feel a bit light, it has a grainy wind. To be honest, the crown is the only thing I'm not in love with on this watch. It makes the crown-side look visually heavy. I'm into more simplistic, symmetrical watches usually, and this crown is around the size of a skittle. I would personally prefer it a few mm smaller.

4KAG95z.jpg

ri6njUe.jpg

The case back is far from accurate, and features a simple logo engraving rather than the portrait seen on the gen. I don't know if its the thickness of the watch or case back, but you can barely hear the watch's beat with your ear pressed against it. The rotor is near silent. I have no idea what movement is inside - it looks fairly high beat (4-5hz), but I'm not an expert.
XnWM6h6.jpg

DmCnhcB.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the strap. I expect garbage with all rep straps, but this one is soft and well made. I don't think it is real leather, but it certainly smells like it. There is a small nick at one of the lugs (visible on some photos) that I noted on QC but wasn't bothered by. The clasp is a simple pin and hole job, no deployant. However, the aggressive taper and again soft and surprisingly nice material makes it comfortable on the wrist.

R2j7ofv.jpg

v1BiBvp.jpg

They did a pretty good job with the lume too. All in a single colour, the numerals, 12 triangle and dots, minute/hour and reserve hands all glow nicely. It doesn't last as long at full luminance as my other watches, but it is even and well executed.

b0ebWrx.jpg

CsRif6Z.jpg

NZH6bCr.jpg

Overall, I'm sold on the Big Pilot. Definitely going to be picking up the ZF version, and depending on availability will prefer Prof's 2x AR model. The dial is so stunning it deserves to get full exposure!

With QC and delivery, the rep was just shy of $100. Arrived in 14 days with a very feminine box and cushion. I personally feel like I got a lot of watch for the money, and I am really glad I tested the waters before going all-out.

Update: Watch is running -9.4 seconds a day, date changes around 11:57. Power reserve decreased by two days over 18 hours, but increases quickly with normal wear.

Will be heading to M2M shortly to fund the ZF purchase!