• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Portofino Chrono or other choices

Kriaz01

Known Member
Certified
16/4/16
Hi,

I'm new to the IWC world all I know is that they are famous for dressy watches. I recently saw the Portofino Chrono which looks great on the Brown leather straps. The thing that attracted me was that the sub-dials is aligned correctly to the 7750. I think that this is making the watch more reliable. I've been seeing the Frankening of the Portuguese but that is out of my budget right now. I've done some research but would appreciate if you could tell me which is the most accurate IWC in the game right now and which thoughts you have on the Portofino Chrono.

Thanks!

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
It's all a matter of tastes.
Portifino chrono and non chrono are very accurate reps and definitely classier than pilot or aquatimer models.

All pilots (3777, 3717, XVI, XVII) are pretty accurate out of the box and can be almost identical to gen with some upgrades (gen parts)

Have fun!

Kriaz01

Known Member
Certified
16/4/16
Sure the taste is what matters at the end of the day. But what I liked is that the watch is very beautiful and that the a7750 has the seconds at @9 which should make the watch pretty reliable. The new version of the watch at Intime also comes with the correct hand shape. Which makes the watch extremely close to gen when they are compared. I thought about buying the watch and sending it to Domi so he can do the AR on it which is the only thing needed to make the watch almost perfect according to other members.

At the end of the day you don't want to experience problems with the movements as well and reliability is one of the most important things. I know that if you are looking for a reliable you better stick to the non-chronos but I think that if you are into chronos this one is a good choice both accuracy-wise and reliability-wise.

Remember that what's said here is not based on real experience but just pictures and comparisons. It would be great if we could get someone who owns the very last version to tell us more about this Rep since there is not enough discussion about this watch even though it's a great watch.

Kriaz01

Known Member
Certified
16/4/16
Damn.. There seem to be no love for this watch, crazy even though it's a beautiful classic timepiece. I've compared the pictures of the rep and the Gen and came to a result that this watch specifically is almost a perfect replication of the Genuine one. Even the smallest details seems to be correct as per the genuine.

Does anyone know if I can swap the a7750 movement with a Gen without looking for gen-hands? Could someone like Domi make the Rep hands fit the Gen movement. And if so will the a7750 stem work with the Gen 7750?

pippo

10/1/10
True, not a very popular model, maybe it's too elegant for the average Joe.

Yes, you can swap the movement
Hands will be a direct fit but not all of them. However Domi or other watchmakers can adapt the rep hands.
Stem is not a problem.

Kriaz01

Known Member
Certified
16/4/16
Well cool, truly it's a very elegant piece, should be fitting me... I will contact Domi since the watch also needs AR. Thanks!

Prancuzas

Renowned Member
6/3/12
Yup, it only needs AR and a proper strap ;)

nZj6LuM.jpg

pippo

10/1/10
Agreed, I would just consider gen DWs and new AR coating for black dial

Kriaz01

Known Member
Certified
16/4/16
Well, since the 36 mm pilot automatic is not replicated yet I will definitely have to stick with the Portofino chrono it's an elegant ant classy piece. It does have a lot of opportunities to become more gen like. I will get the white dial and ship it off for AR and get a custom leather strap(brown). Do you know anyone at the forum who does good quality alligator leather straps for good price?

Prancuzas

Renowned Member
6/3/12
Well, since the 36 mm pilot automatic is not replicated yet I will definitely have to stick with the Portofino chrono it's an elegant ant classy piece. It does have a lot of opportunities to become more gen like. I will get the white dial and ship it off for AR and get a custom leather strap(brown). Do you know anyone at the forum who does good quality alligator leather straps for good price?

I know one guy ;)

Prancuzas

Renowned Member
6/3/12
Do You have any comments on his last hides? I found them a bit thinner/dryer that previous ones. Still good bang for the buck tho....