• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Gen Strap.....yeah?

Tysodrum

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
21/8/10
Hey guys,

So, I have been on a search for another Gen BP strap... None for sale on TZ...
I tried the Timepiece Republic on eBay which is not gen of course but the closest you'll get with the rivets. (unlike HK or Peter)

That wasn't close at all...still plastic-y and VERY stiff. Sent it right back.

Then I bought a gen on eBay from a reliable seller. I just received it. It was never mounted on a watch...brand new from the IWC boutique NYC.

If you haven't made the assumption that I'm strap obsessed make it now...

So in comparison to my other gen it doesn't seems as "leather-y"...it's harder and dull. It doesn't have the sheen my other does. Does it need wear? To buff it a bit?

So I have 3 total gen IWC straps and by comparison it doesn't seem to have the sheen..esp when the leather wraps under the lug area...

However it has all the markings....the rivets are pretty right on. The stitching is straight and accurate. Except, I see a 4 letter code on it, my others have a 3 letter code..

So my question is did I get ripped? Or is there just inconsistency with their leather and finishing?

Here are some pics of it that I have now...I'll add pics of better light and my other straps as well but I'm at work... ;)

Thanks!!

y5eme9yp.jpg

u4avuzyd.jpg

ehybyvy3.jpg

baqy6ede.jpg

yby3ugad.jpg

Mirage

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/12
My gen brown strap has a 3 letter code too. It is just the right amount of shine and is soft as butter. It feels almost like a smooth rubber.

Did your come with papers or special packaging from IWC?

41ZOkMp.jpg

en8Pnf4.jpg

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
My strap has 4 letter codes on it just like yours. Will post some pics at some point (Mario made it to fit my 3777, arrived yesterday and it is a killer combo!).

Rockrover

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/9/11
I bought a gen off the bay as well. Soft and playable, but I wouldn't say 'butter'. Finish can be dull at times, but a quick buff and she polishes right up. The strap is four years old, so I'd say IWC's strap manufacture(s) have different numbering conventions.

image_zps2a89df1e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I've had 3 different ones. Sunnydale got one of my last OEM ' S. I remember 4 numbers. They are great straps , but I have noticed that they wear quickly if you use your watch daily. One of the nicest straps I've had was a Nubuck Gator that HKTan made for me.

mp006ltk

Looking Around
22/6/16
I have owned 2 different IWC genuine straps for my genuine 2006 spitfire. They were the same exact strap. One a replacement for the other. They had completely different codes and model numbers. The 3 or 4 digit code at the lugs appears to be the tannery that they sourced the material from, or the OEM who made it for them. Some bear the letters LVMH, which is a tannery of high end hides. The number lengthwise on the band is the model. I noticed that original and replacements have different model numbers. I'm sure they replacement is the correct model because IWC looked it up by serial to get the correct part.