• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement in Portuguese IW358304 ZF - A82200

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Hi,
i have a ZF IWC IW358304 Portugiese Watch, the TD's homepage states:
Custom Designed Slim Asian automatic movement by ZF Maker (Same thickness as original IWC 82200 Calibre Movement)

Movement

What movement is this exactly - behind the "show"? I do not think they are making movements for each gen watch...

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
from the balance bridge engraving and position, it looks like a NH movement?

nh35a-1.jpg

or worse, a china copy NH movement:

O1CN01qAQGhN2JAY2gULd44_!!1024259381.jpg

Last edited:

bavarex

Omega collector/watchmaking
3/4/21
EU / CAN
It's indeed a NH variation. It is lowbeat and it also has its loud automatic winding mechanism. Maybe they had no choice picking it to have the balance on the same side as gen.

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Thanks, I searched for NH35 movements, they all have a date wheel - my watch has none. Is it a contraindication or can the date wheel and the setting-position for the date simply be taken off the movement?

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Thanks, I searched for NH35 movements, they all have a date wheel - my watch has none. Is it a contraindication or can the date wheel and the setting-position for the date simply be taken off the movement?

Does your watch has a empty date setting position? If not they probably used a NH variant with no date in the first place.

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Yes, indeed it has! Thanks for the help! But how can I find the "variant"? The movement have "Small Seconds @6".
If I search for movement with "Small Seconds @6" on www.esslinger.com I get these: [h=4]DG3806B[/h] [h=4]TY2723[/h] [h=4]DL8281[/h] But anyhow, I will have to find a watchmaker, after disassembly it will be hopefully clear.
Thanks

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Does your watch has a empty date setting position? If not they probably used a NH variant with no date in the first place.

On the german forum "Zeitgeist" someone told me it could be a "Seagull 1731" movement.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
On the german forum "Zeitgeist" someone told me it could be a "Seagull 1731" movement.

The balance seems to be in the wrong position to be a st17. U have the watch in hand so it’s easily for u to compare and see.
The factory can always do some modification to move the sec to 6 is there is not native NH for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
The balance seems to be in the wrong position to be a st17.
Thanks,
my main concern is that the small seconds seems to be "slower" than real time (120 secs on this watch = 125 secs real time when the watch is cold) It looks like it would struggle on some points to move forward... The watch itself is quite accurate, lets say within one minute per day. I do not understand how that could be... Maybe something is loose and moving only if there is no resistance? Somehow it should be exact because of the nature of the movements..

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Thanks,
my main concern is that the small seconds seems to be "slower" than real time (120 secs on this watch = 125 secs real time when the watch is cold) It looks like it would struggle on some points to move forward... The watch itself is quite accurate, lets say within one minute per day. I do not understand how that could be... Maybe something is loose and moving only if there is no resistance? Somehow it should be exact because of the nature of the movements..

Could it be that the seconds hand is slipping and needs to be crimped?

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Has anyone managed to take the oscillating weight off? It's kind of impossible to regulate the watch well without removing the deco plate..... for your Information: it's a low beat movement 21.600bph

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
Could it be that the seconds hand is slipping and needs to be crimped?
would it be then temparature-dependent? I "feel" like it would be better after wearing the watch for a day... But I will now make videos of one or two minutes after a few days not wearing it (cold) then after a day runtime another one.I will try to find a "scientific" method to analyze the phaenomen ... It is still much much better than I would try to do something with a screwdriver ...I am a bit clumsy... not to mention my eyes.

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
would it be then temparature-dependent? I "feel" like it would be better after wearing the watch for a day... But I will now make videos of one or two minutes after a few days not wearing it (cold) then after a day runtime another one.I will try to find a "scientific" method to analyze the phaenomen ... It is still much much better than I would try to do something with a screwdriver ...I am a bit clumsy... not to mention my eyes.

Hm... Probably not impossible, but a bit unusual. I had a watch with slipping seconds hand, but in my case I could see that the seconds hand stopped for a short while before it moved on every now and then, while overall timekeeping of minute and hour hand was very accurate.

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22
I'll
Hm... Probably not impossible, but a bit unusual. I had a watch with slipping seconds hand, but in my case I could see that the seconds hand stopped for a short while before it moved on every now and then, while overall timekeeping of minute and hour hand was very accurate.

I'll try to make a slow motion video and post it.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
If u can, try to remove the decor plate off. Shouldn’t be hard u just need to inspect the screws to see if they are real functional one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bavarex

3/4/21
EU / CAN
Unfortunately the crews on the oscillating weight seem to be fake. The screws on the deco plate are easy to spot. But without removing the oscillating weight, you cannot remove the deco plate....

gwallabie

Supporter
Certified
21/2/22

So I made a 15 minutes long video, then took one picture every minute:00 of it, one can see, while the minute hand moves OK, the seconds hand shows between 2 and 4 seconds less every minute...

Here are the pictures:

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
So overall timekeeping seems fairly accurate. That still makes me think that the seconds hand is slipping, maybe ever so slightly - barely visible with the naked eye.