• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any display case back for the IWC pilot series?

Penaro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/21
Hello everyone.
after failing in finding some tag Heuer that I really liked (the watch I wanted is been out of production for few years apparently) I was looking at the IWC pilots (particularly the petit prince series) which I always liked.

I know this could sound a little bit weird for a rep, but I always enjoyed having a look at the movement now and then, so I was asking myself if there's any way I can mount a display case back on those IWC pilots. Looks like all of them have got a 43mm case.
Obviously I'd like the transparent case back as a spare part to mount on the watch now and then just to enjoy the movement while it's working, even if it's just a cheap a7750.
Has anybody ever fancied about this "mod"? Let me know your suggestions and considerations Thanks

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Don't the pilot series all have a soft iron cage over the movement (the mark xviii definitely does)?

Penaro

13/9/21
Do you mean this part here?
Can't I simply get rid of it? What's its purpose?

​​​​​​

Penaro

13/9/21
Up due this
any ideas? Could any display case back from the Portugieser series could possibly fit the pilot 43mm case?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Up due this
any ideas? Could any display case back from the Portugieser series could possibly fit the pilot 43mm case?

Does it have to be a pilot? The ZF Portuguese 7 day 500705 is gorgeous and has a see through case back with a nice looking movement (for a rep)

Bought one for my dad and he loves it

Penaro

13/9/21
Well I particularly like these 2 Big pilots which I suppose share the same movement with the Portugieser you ere thinking about
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_238&products_id=19717

https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_238&products_id=19718

​​​​​​And also this one https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_189&products_id=14219

i Also found these 2 which I'm interested but can't find much info about them
Yacht version with 7750
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_189&products_id=23878

Perpetual
https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_189&products_id=21463

What do you think about these reps?

The thing with the pilot is that I like chronographs and the a7750 movement is so easy to find for about 80€ on AliExpress that I can easily find and replace a new movement very easily in future...
Don't know much about the movement in the Portugieser series or in the perpetual one I posted above

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
The 3 first watches you just shared the link to are coming with display caseback so it seems you're good to go

Penaro

13/9/21
Yes I like the 3 first watches but what about the movement inside? Is it the same? Or very similar?
the movement in the Portugieser is an "Asian Clone 52010 Automatic Movement with Functional Power Reserve"
What's inside the big pilot?
Are those movement solid?
What about if the watch stops working in a couple of years? Will the movement be repairable or at least replaceable with a new one? Where to find it?
thanks for helping tobel

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Yes I like the 3 first watches but what about the movement inside? Is it the same? Or very similar?
the movement in the Portugieser is an "Asian Clone 52010 Automatic Movement with Functional Power Reserve"
What's inside the big pilot?
Are those movement solid?
What about if the watch stops working in a couple of years? Will the movement be repairable or at least replaceable with a new one? Where to find it?
thanks for helping tobel

Those 52010 clone movements are very solid and usually run quite accurate and reliable. I love the working power reserve that tells me exactly when it is time to help it along a bit by winding it manually, especially if I use it daily (which in the last time I don't - too many watches in the rotation). Power reserve is not 7 days, but still 70 hours or more, which is absolutely fantastic imho. It is amazing to see it still running after three days in the box.

The rotor is a bit lightweight though. It looks good through the caseback, but felt a bit on the cheap side when I took it off to service the autowind module. It does wind it OK, but the automatic winding mechanism is better on some of mine than on others with the same movement.

To sum this up: I absolutely love these movements!

But downside is that you will probably be on your own when it breaks. Those are not standard movements. Likely very hard or impossible to source spare parts. And watchmakers are unfamiliar with them, they are not like gen they are only decorated to look like gen.

Penaro

13/9/21
Thanks a lot plaasbaas, that's a lot of useful info.
I Like those big pilot... But I'm really unsure in buying a watch that has got to go in the bin once it stops working... And they're not that cheap. So this bring me to the point where I started... A pilot with the a7750 looks like the best choice if you want a watch that could be repaired in future... Our maybe I can also upgrade the movement with a genuine ETA on future...
The only thing that upsets me is having the chance to have a look at the movement now and then through a display case back...
Maybe I should ask trusty if he can do anything...
What do you think?

Could anyone share the exact measures of the solid case back on the pilot series (43m case)?
I mean the external diameter and if possible the inner threading/thread measure...

Thanks
​​​​

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I might be wrong, but I would think that there is no Big Pilot model with a 7750 movement. You can opt for other models like the Pilot chrono 377710, but I cannot think of a 'Big' Pilot. The movements are too different, especially the working power reserve indicator and so on.

I for myself know about the potential risk, but I just bought the Big Pilot anyway because it's one of my favorite models. It has given me pleasure for years now without issue, and I hope there will be many more to come. I treat it very well. If you want to be very careful, buy two - one as a backup and potential donor for spare parts lol. :)

If you go for a Pilot model with the 7750 movement you could probably just put a new one in if it breaks, true. But those movements are usually in a price range between 250 and 300 bucks - an amount with would also allow you to simply buy a new rep (not knowing if that specific model is obtainable in the future, of course).

By the way, the above-mentioned 52010 clone movement is being used in the Portuguese 7 days models, and those have a display caseback.

Penaro

13/9/21
Yep thanks again for answering There should have been done misunderstanding. I was referring to pilot with 7750 not big pilot.
A7750 clone are very easy to find for 80€ on AliExpress...

If I could be able to get a spare display case back for pilot 43mm case I'll buy one immediately...

Meanwhile I'm also having a look at couple of watches on AliExpress line this one with seagull st1908 inside (quite easy to b find)

https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/100...6e0ffaf&gclid=
Not really a rep but still a nice watch in be IWC style

Or this one zenith like style with the famous seagull st1901
​​​https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/1005003636673359.html?gatewayAdapt=gloPc2itaMsite

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Yep thanks again for answering There should have been done misunderstanding. I was referring to pilot with 7750 not big pilot.
A7750 clone are very easy to find for 80€ on AliExpress...

If I could be able to get a spare display case back for pilot 43mm case I'll buy one immediately...

Meanwhile I'm also having a look at couple of watches on AliExpress line this one with seagull st1908 inside (quite easy to b find)

It is all subjective to taste and personal preference, and it is your money. Buy whatever your heart desires.

But honestly I think you'd overpay for those hommage items on Ali. They look nothing like the quality the TD's on this forum deal with.

I think I can relate to how you feel somehow. When I started in the rep game I was also mesmerized by everything that's going on when you see the movement through a display case back. But unless you find a complete hommage watch that already has a display case back it will be more or less try and error to find one that fits, or iit will involve some custom modding that might cost more than it is worth in the end.

Penaro

13/9/21
Thanks for answering plaasbaas, I see your point...
maybe I'll try to contact some TD to see if they can do anything meanwhile if anyone could tell me the measures of the solid case back on the pilot series with the a7750, it would be very useful

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Hi again. Sorry, I can only tell you, that the outer diameter measures 41,8 mm on my Pilot chrono.

But that will not help much as I don't know the diameter of the threads, and I do not want to open it, because it has been waterproofed
by a watchmaker not so long ago and I do not want to ruin that, I hope you understand.

Penaro

13/9/21
Wow plaasbaas, that's very kind of you. Thanks a lot
maybe I can scale the pictures of the watch to find out the diameter of the thread. Could you post a link on a TD site where to see pictures of your watch?
Thanks again

Penaro

13/9/21
Thanks again. That is really a beautiful watch and I love the metal strap.
So tried to get the measures, if the outer diameter is 41.8 mm the inner one should be 39mm according to my caliber... If anyone could confirm it would be great.
Let's see if I can find anything ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaasbaas