• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF IWC 500912 Big Pilot Review & Macros

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Just in time for Christmas 2021, I received my new Big Pilot from Lucy. The workmanship on this rep is just great, looks as solid as it feels (once you throw away the original strap). Thanks again to truetime168 for her service, everything's aligned very well, the movement started up out of the box without winding and works smooth as butter, also keeps time well.

Build quality on this one is really good, can be hit or miss from ZF sometimes which is why I went with Lucy. The strap OOTB was the usual cheap crap and I immediately replaced it with a Cordura strap from AliExpress. Realized only now how good it matches with my background for the images. Workmanship on the metal parts is great with very nice brushed and polished surfaces. The dial has a gen like coarse structure to it and prints are sharp, datewheel print's also good with even lume, datewheel aligned spot on. The hands also have the "grainy" finish of the dial with no lume spill or dirt visible even at huge magnification. Here are some shots of this beauty.

jpNs6t.jpg

jpNuv2.jpg

jpN7jE.jpg

jpNNk3.jpg

jpNEOn.jpg

jpNFaY.jpg

jpNRJs.jpg

jpNGpD.jpg

jpNSFk.jpg

jpNbAo.jpg

jpNx6J.jpg

jpNJvP.jpg

jpNczW.jpg

Last edited:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Beautiful, just classy.

Very cool macro shots, the finishing looks amazing, even at, as you said huge magnification.

And a perfect strap, so enjoy :thumbsup:

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Looks fantastic, thanks for posting. I have an older version and it is my favorite watch.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
The IWC Big Pilots are my favourite watches, too. Great photos, I also need a camera like that :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: P..DR..D

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Thanks for the great review and pics. I approved my QC pics a couple of months ago but I'm still waiting for my TD to source the other watch from my order. The wait is hard!

mindvision

Known Member
21/9/12
I hate that they messed up the seconds-hand with this one. The ZF 5009-01 v2 has that too.

The short side of the second hand is too short. It's supposed to be longer and is an immediate tell.

Look at this pic for example (gen):
292819_945_36057755870_1b9d3abcd0_o.jpg

The short side is supposed to cross the 'Schaffhausen' text. With the reps it doesn't do this anymore, the first version of the ZF 5009-01 did but they ruined it now.

Last edited:

6s9_Tw

Horology Curious
28/11/21
I hate that they messed up the seconds-hand with this one. The ZF 5009-01 v2 has that too.

The short side of the second hand is too short. It's supposed to be longer and is an immediate tell.

The short side is supposed to cross the 'Schaffhausen' text. With the reps it doesn't do this anymore, the first version of the ZF 5009-01 did but they ruined it now.

yes! totally
and for those who really care about BP, and do know BP, it is an absolute giveaway.
​​​​​such a downer …

calieng65

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/2/22
Beautiful watch. I have a much older version with non-functioning power reserve dial.

Is it true the newer version power reserve indicator works properly? Do you know the actual amunt of power reserve with the included movement?

Thank you - just getting back into this after several years away....

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Beautiful watch. I have a much older version with non-functioning power reserve dial.

Is it true the newer version power reserve indicator works properly? Do you know the actual amunt of power reserve with the included movement?

Power reserve is roughly three days.

locvs

7/12/20
Germany

I don't get it how they managed to f... this up. My Big Pilot LPP is also a tad short, but definately more bearable https://i.imgur.com/lh6Y4hJ.jpg

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I received mine yesterday, a very beautiful watch, very big but not heavy, it's lighter than a Seamaster 300.
It feels very comfortable on my 6.5 inch wrist.

There is one issue though, the hour minute is crooked, it curves upwards when it should be flat. Can a watchmaker flatten this out?

In case I decide to mod this watch, where can I find a gen dial and watch hands? And will they fit this case?

I wish I hadn't read up on the second hand being too small! But the chances of being called out are slim to none. I've never come across anyone wearing on of these.
But still what a cock up by ZF, especially when they got it right with V1. How does this even happen - do they have a meeting and say 'Let's purposefully ruin a part of a watch that we got right last time?' I know some factories do this when they plan on releasing multiple versions but ZF typically only release 1 or 2.

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Has anyone ordered a ZF Big Pilot recently and can tell if they fixed the length issue with the short tip of the seconds hand yet?

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada
Has anyone ordered a ZF Big Pilot recently and can tell if they fixed the length issue with the short tip of the seconds hand yet?
i got mine a week ago. It would seem the seconds hand counterbalance is still short. crosses “AUTOMATIC“ but not SCHAFFHAUSEN”

hendric

The art of time
Supporter
Certified
18/10/19
Europe
i got mine a week ago. It would seem the seconds hand counterbalance is still short. crosses “AUTOMATIC“ but not SCHAFFHAUSEN”
You have the Top Gun version, IW502001. It is completely different. You cannot really compare it to the standard IW50101.
See the official images on the IWC website:

3XMq88.jpg

But congratulations on the watch! Wear it in good health.

hendric

The art of time
Supporter
Certified
18/10/19
Europe
The second hand counterweight on your watch appears to be the correct length:

3XMkiE.jpg

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada
You have the Top Gun version, IW502001. It is completely different. You cannot really compare it to the standard IW50101.
See the official images on the IWC website:

3XMq88.jpg

But congratulations on the watch! Wear it in good health.
Thanks hendric for pointing that out, I thought they were the same - I stand corrected!

Reactions: hendric