• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Big Pilot daily wear question.

Crimson Tide

Horology Curious
12/2/13
Hello guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted or asked questions, but I'm coming to the only source of help that I trust.

I try to wear a watch at all times, and I've got a pair of Big Pilots (standard black on black, faux PR), and they both have the problem with the crown not screwing down. I'm going to get rid of them both, because repairing them is above my head. I love to collect, but not repair. I just want to have a watch that I can ACTUALLY WEAR. What I need to know is this:

Which one of the currently available ones can I wear daily, without issues? There are two on PureTime in the standard issue colours, and both are genuine PR and both are the same price ($388). Can either of these just be a simple daily wearable watch?

https://puretimewatch.io/big-pilot-...st-edition-on-black-leather-strap-a51111.html

https://puretimewatch.io/big-pilot-...st-edition-on-black-leather-strap-a51111.html

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
A great watch to wear daily without risking any problems is a G-Shock. Replicas' weak point are always the movements. The safest bet would be one with a Swiss ETA installed.

Crimson Tide

Horology Curious
12/2/13
Let me clarify: I'm not overly active or abusive in any way to my watches, and the movements of all my watches are tip top. Never had a problem with them. I'm just not able to repair the crowns, and I don't know anyone who can repair them.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
What factory version have you got?

Both the watches you linked are from ZF factory, so reasonable to assume that they have the same case/crown etc

Why don’t you get the crowns repaired by a forum modder? There is no expectation for you to repair yourself

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Crimson Tide

Horology Curious
12/2/13

Both the watches you linked are from ZF factory, so reasonable to assume that they have the same case/crown etc

Why don’t you get the crowns repaired by a forum modder? There is no expectation for you to repair yourself

Thank you for the advice! Could you please tell me where to find someone who does that? I read but don't post here, as I find the enormous quantity of posts and threads all a bit confusing, and if you could put me in touch with someone who does such repair work, I would be most grateful.

Crimson Tide

Horology Curious
12/2/13

Also, I don't know which factory. Sorry. I got them from one of the TDs. It was the most expensive faux PR at the time, and was for $238 or so. It's been a couple years, and that's all I remember.

I got the faux PR after buying the real PR, only afterwards finding out that the real PR was fraught with issues. I ended up giving that one away.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thank you for the advice! Could you please tell me where to find someone who does that? I read but don't post here, as I find the enormous quantity of posts and threads all a bit confusing, and if you could put me in touch with someone who does such repair work, I would be most grateful.

Go to the trusted dealer section and check under the watchmakers section for someone in your continent.

Where are you based?

Sent from the RWI App