• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince by V7F (Swiss ETA 2892, supposedly)

goatwich

Horology Curious
11/6/21
Boston
I recently acquired this IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince by V7F for $558 from Mary (currently my #1 TD of choice). This is my third IWC rep. Appearance-wise, I'm happy to report that this watch is absolutely immaculate and totally impeccable. It's the cleanest, most symmetrical, best-built rep to have graced my wrist yet. The factory has done such a great job of quality control, I am thoroughly impressed.
_
jjWqQF.jpg
​​
jjWIft.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​
jjWY22.jpg
​​
jjWrJD.jpg

jjWBWk.jpg

While I find the V7F production job to be flawless, this watch is not without its (pretty difficult-to-spot) tells. Sharp-eyed nitpickers will point out the crystal AR coating refracting a slightly less saturated hue than the gen does. But trust me, this can only be noticed if you have a gen reference right next to it side by side (and you stare intensely at both back and forth). Another thread in this forum pointed out that the flushed crown of the V7F is also a tell. I actually couldn't confirm this with naked eyes. I dropped into a friendly AD to inspect the gen. I found the V7F crown to be pretty much spot on without any magnification visual aid.

According to the factory and several TD websites, this watch is powered by Swiss ETA 2892-2 21J movement (and apparently that's the reason why it comes at an abhorrent cost of $558). Not being a watch smith or a willing tinkerer, I unfortunately have no way to verify or refute this claim. I'm not opening the case back until it needs service. So for now, just have to accept the possibility that this movement may very well be a clone and not a real Swiss ETA. In any case, it's a lot quieter than my usual daily Miyota's.

BUT, I do have have a timegrapher software. If the ability to keep accurate time is any meaningful measure of movement quality, then this watch turns out to be the top performer in my entire collection, gens or reps. As measured by the software, this watch deviates 0.1 secs per day in the dial-up position and 1.7 secs per day in the crown-up position (see results below) in a clean, dry 71F air-conditioned room. Based on these accuracy metrics, I'm content to assume that this is a legit Swiss ETA until I'm told otherwise by a pro. I've never seen a rep come out of a factory with this level of accuracy. I hope it holds up this performance level for many years to come.
_
jjWynE.jpg

jjW8dY.jpg

Last edited:

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
I’ve always avoided the Petit version, due not being confident the blue dial would be close to the Gen. This one looks very nice and apparently hands have improved as well.
how about the leather band? Does it feels close to Gen also? Easy problem to fix if not.

goatwich

Horology Curious
11/6/21
Boston
is that a timegrapher app ?

Yes sir

I’ve always avoided the Petit version, due not being confident the blue dial would be close to the Gen. This one looks very nice and apparently hands have improved as well.
how about the leather band? Does it feels close to Gen also? Easy problem to fix if not.

I think the leather band is very close to gen. The linen stitching is all identical, stitch for stitch. The leather color is spot on. In terms of how it feels, there's probably not going to be a lot of variance from the gen since this is just ordinary leather (but maybe I'm just not observant enough?). I think the 'feel' would be more of a problem if it were exotic leather like alligator, crocodile, ostrich, or shell cordovan. Those materials actually feel different to me. If a factory tried to pass off ordinary leather as one of those, it would be much easier to tell.

Reactions: Valaj and Ecender

EvanWatch

Looking Around
11/7/21
Hi there! Which website are you ordered. I just to find Trusted website to order IW327016. Thank you

goatwich

Horology Curious
11/6/21
Boston
Hi there! Which website are you ordered. I just to find Trusted website to order IW327016. Thank you

This one, I ordered from Mary. She's a TD from another community whom I've used on multiple occasions. She's not the cheapest. But her service is topnotch - very responsive and courteous. Her QC is the best in my opinion - I feel she takes pride in the quality of the products that she procures.

Other dealers I've used (in no particular order): Andrew (TrustyTime), Sead (SuperMirrors), Jtime, ToroBravo, Hont. Quality varies - happy to share my thoughts in PM.

Welcome by the way, I just saw that this was your first post. :) Hope you'll be able to find a trusted dealer that suits your needs and style.

Last edited:

zub3qin

Horology Curious
3/8/10
Thanks for the terrific review!
I just purchased the Asian ETA version of this same watch- from the V7F. Does it stand to reason that the overall appearance of the rep should be the same? I assume all the V7F reps are equally 'perfect' and its just a mechanism they swap in or out (Swiss, Asian ETA, etc)?

Or am i mistaken?

goatwich

Horology Curious
11/6/21
Boston
I just purchased the Asian ETA version of this same watch- from the V7F. Does it stand to reason that the overall appearance of the rep should be the same? I assume all the V7F reps are equally 'perfect' and its just a mechanism they swap in or out (Swiss, Asian ETA, etc)?

Or am i mistaken?

Great question - I’m not sure about this. I don’t have any other version to compare this one to. But your assumption sounds reasonable to me. How much was the Asian ETA version? Is it a lot less expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soliloqueen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/7/21
Great question - I’m not sure about this. I don’t have any other version to compare this one to. But your assumption sounds reasonable to me. How much was the Asian ETA version? Is it a lot less expensive?

I just bought a Portofino V7F with the Asian ETA. I think V7F makes Asian and Swiss versions of all their watches. TDs just don't always put both on their site or display prices for both, you have to custom-request it from your TD. It runs way cheaper. I paid a little over $300 shipped for the A vs almost twice that for the genuine ETA. I think they're the same externally. When I get a chance I'll pop it open and let you know if they also decorate the cheaper movement the same way.

I have heard some people say the straps differ too. Genuine vs stamped croc, for instance.

Last edited:

goatwich

Horology Curious
11/6/21
Boston
Update:

My watchmaker examined this watch. The movement is actually not ETA. It’s Swiss-made Sellita SW300. He said you can’t buy ETA movements anymore these days (they’re only available in secondary market). So, if you’re looking to buy anything from V7F in the more expensive ‘Swiss movement’ option, Sellita is what you’ll likely get.

Sellita SW300 is used in various genuine Montblanc, Baume & Mercier, and Bell & Ross watches. No reason to doubt it’s reliability or quality. Just the movement itself alone retails for $300 by the way (as of today).

Well at least V7F didn’t substitute it with a cheap asian clone. But still, they could do a bit better on being more transparent about this. Because all four dealers that I trust have no clue about this substitution - they’re all still working with the outdated product info (that it’s ETA).

Reactions: museguy

soliloqueen

17/7/21
Update:

My watchmaker examined this watch. The movement is actually not ETA. It’s Swiss-made Sellita SW300. He said you can’t buy ETA movements anymore these days (they’re only available in secondary market). So, if you’re looking to buy anything from V7F in the more expensive ‘Swiss movement’ option, Sellita is what you’ll likely get.

Sellita SW300 is used in various genuine Montblanc, Baume & Mercier, and Bell & Ross watches. No reason to doubt it’s reliability or quality. Just the movement itself alone retails for $300 by the way (as of today).

Well at least V7F didn’t substitute it with a cheap asian clone. But still, they could do a bit better on being more transparent about this. Because all four dealers that I trust have no clue about this substitution - they’re all still working with the outdated product info (that it’s ETA).

What's interesting is that the original version of this watch had an ETA in it but when ETA became harder to get, switched to an sw300 based movement, so you something very close to a genuine movement in this watch

soliloqueen

17/7/21
Sorry, voice to text butchered that. What I meant to say is that the current IWC caliber 35111 in the current version of this watch is just a modified SW300, so you've got something super close to the original watch here.

Jawnlegend

Looking Around
21/7/21

Or am i mistaken?

Oh interesting. How much did the V7F with the asian ETA come up to?

nickelodeon

DIY and vintage enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
nice, which TD offers the V7 with the steel bracelet? I was not able to find any Mark XVIII on bracelet