• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Frankening a ZF 5009

bukkupke

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
8/7/14
ATX
I’ve sourced a gen dial, hands, crown/tube, and date disc for my ZF Big Pilot. In working through all these with a watchmaker, it seems like the ZF dial has some feet on it while the gen does not, the date disc may or may not fit, crown tube on ZF is larger than gen, etc. - lot of issues with part swaps one for one.

I’m in the US but thinking this may be a “mail to Domi” situation…

Does anyone have experience or a recommended modder to take on this project? Thanks so much in advance!

Reactions: SteveMcQueen1930

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Ohhh boy, I can comment a bit on what needs to be done.

The movement used in the ZF is completely different than gen.
The Datewheel will not fit at all. No chance.

The hands need to be widened.
The gen dial needs new dial feet in the rep movement position or just attaching it with dial dots.
I have not heard anyone swapping the tube with crown but maybe I am wrong.
For sure any good modder in the US could help you with this…
Which 5009 are you building ?

bukkupke

Supporter
8/7/14
ATX
Yea, lot not fitting lol. I’m going for a 500901, basic BP prior to adding back the 9. I think the distinction is modder vs watchsmith. I had it all with a watchsmith who basically said “yea, not doing all this”.

Assuming for the hands they need to be widened to go on the stem?

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Haha, i know a second person who wants to do this but have not started. At least i dont need to mess with the crown and tube :)

Reactions: SteveMcQueen1930

interaktiv

Parts-Distributor Modder
Supporting Vendor
Vendor (Patron)
26/10/15
EU
wrong message

Last edited:

bastianbeat

8/12/14
d5e52b6d28fa6f55f59d8ceceb0dcf05.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G988B mit Tapatalk

bukkupke

Supporter
8/7/14
ATX
interaktiv Well my quick take is to send to interaktiv for the mods! But sounds like a pain to mod and I can use the date disc for target practice!

LiquidLT

12/11/18
I noticed on other ZF pilots that the black dial seems too smooth, not as grainy/gritty/rough as gen. Is it true/noticeable in real life?

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Finally found some time this weekend to put a gen fish crown and tube in my Big Pilot 5002 with gen Platinum dial. Now I only need to fit the gen hands :)

dlqx48

8/8/17
Finally found some time this weekend to put a gen fish crown and tube in my Big Pilot 5002 with gen Platinum dial. Now I only need to fit the gen hands :)

Beautiful! Where did you get the Gen Crown/tube?

I have a Franken 5004 with a Gen Dial - been looking for a gen crown/tube for the longest time but haven't had much luck with that.

dlqx48

8/8/17
dlqx48 : Got the parts from Uhren Roemer. If you are located in the US you can try scotchwatch.

Thanks! I asked Uhren Roemer, but they said they don't carry the BP gen crown/tube anymore. Any other potential sources?

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19

Finally found some time to fit some gen hands on my Big Pilot Ref. 5002, which was no easy task, especially the hour hand needed some major modification to fit the movement.
With gen limited Platinum edition dial, gen crown / tube, gen alligator strap and now gen hands my most perfect Big Pilot watch so far.
Up to new challenges now… Anyone knows where to source a gen cal. 52110 movement? :)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Wow. Looks awesome. What strap are you using (the gray one)?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI