• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hublot Big Bang Sang Bleu Titanium Blue 45mm Rep Review

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Hublot's Sang Bleu collection of Big Bang watches arose from a collaboration with tattoo artist Maxime Plescia-Büchi.

"As an ambassador, Maxime Plescia-Büchi perfectly incarnates Hublot’s willingness to merge the arts and bring together fundamentally contrasting worlds. Dualities, opposing forces that evolve into powerful synergies. This surprising and audacious collaboration takes the form of a glass and metal sculpture created by the artist. Singular shapes spatially transpose the inspirations born from the encounter between Maxime Plescia-Büchi and Hublot. "

I have little to no interest in tattoos or Mr Plescia-Büchi, but the moment I saw the Sang Bleu II it caught my eye and I began reading around the watch. Ultimately I found it to be a little over-designed and lacking in practicality, given the huge minute and hour hands cover up much of the complications throughout various points of the day. With all of that complexity the legibility is also basically zero and at some points during the day the design just looks like a mess. Shortly into my research I discovered the original Sang Bleu, which with just three Spirograph-shaped "hands" for minutes, hours and seconds, struck me as the far more elegant design. These retail for about £13k, and whilst I have several very costly gens, there is no way I'd consider dropping this sort of money on what is essentially a bit of a curio. I happened upon a replica of the watch on InTime and enquired with Ryan as to the availability of the "King Gold" edition. Sadly this was not available so I requested the Titanium and blue edition. I've never been a fan of Titanium as a jewellery material. It lacks lustre and also has a tendency to wear so light that it feels cheap.

P-20200814-100948.jpg
P-20200814-101107.jpg
P-20200814-095141.jpg
P-20200814-095122.jpg
P-20200814-100955.jpg

On arrival any issues I might have had with the "feel" of the watch quickly evaporated. Despite being materially titanium, this is a large, heavy watch and wears with just the right degree of weight. I believe the steel and gold versions might even be too much for an avid gym-avoider like myself.

The quality of the replica is incredibly high. The lines, the parts and alignment are all first rate and the quality and lustre of the hands and dial is without flaw. Compared to the gen the webbing of the Spirograph hands is a little more rounded, but on the wrist this is utterly unnoticeable and the way the central second hand moves slowly rotates is completely entrancing. Flip the watch over and the quality and composition of the rotor is equally impressive. It is inconceivable you will ever meet anyone who has one of the 250 genuine versions of this watch in the world and there is no way anyone would ever call you out on it not looking right. For a rep the rotor is also very quiet and the power reserve is strong. I'd consider this watch to be a "super rep" or a "not worth buying in Gen", without a doubt. Materially it is an insanely close match of my real Hublot watch (right down to the hideously uncomfortable strap). No doubt some will hate the brashness of the design, coupled with the generally illegibility of this watch, but I don't care. This isn't a watch for butt-hurt purist nerds who only like sub 36mm 3 hand watches. Steak houses are not for vegetarians. I love this watch and I can stare at it for hours on end.

snowykim

Supporter
25/12/12
NY, USA
Great review. How do you compare this to the black color version? Which might be closer to the gen? Also anyone can confirm that gen strap can be installed to this?

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
The black Titanium version looks just as good, so it depends what you like. Personally I love the blue. An official strap will fit, however Hublot official straps are equally uncomfortable. You wouldn't want to lose the strap as it continues the design of the watch. As rep straps go, this one is extremely close to genuine. Too close in my opinion, as it is uncomfortable in exactly the same way ????. It's getting easier with more wear though.

suchness

Known Member
17/12/15
The black Titanium version looks just as good, so it depends what you like. Personally I love the blue. An official strap will fit, however Hublot official straps are equally uncomfortable. You wouldn't want to lose the strap as it continues the design of the watch. As rep straps go, this one is extremely close to genuine. Too close in my opinion, as it is uncomfortable in exactly the same way ????. It's getting easier with more wear though.
Is the strap water resistant? All I know is it is rubber with either leather embossing or real leather?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Ben_Stokes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/20
Is the strap water resistant? All I know is it is rubber with either leather embossing or real leather?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't take Gen or rep real leather straps as water resistant, in general I would avoid. Either this would taint the watch strap slightly or leave a water mark, which is kinda annoying to even someone who's not v OCD

Nice review, I've tried this SB several times at the Boutique both the titanium, gold and even the diamond version lol. I know what you mean, I would consider buying Gen for Big Bang, Spirit, Unico (at a big discount obv) but not for this one, although I do like it.

Does the quick release work on the strap btw?

drgjsi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/16
HK
thanks for the review.

was wondering if your watch was made by WWF. cause im looking at that! thanks

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Yep it's the WWF version. The quick release on the strap does indeed work. ????

EdenAlando

Known Member
5/5/20
Bangkok
Hi all, may i know which factory makes the sang bleu better HBB or WWF ? HBB thickness is close to the gen 45mm x15.5 mm while WWF is 45 x 14mm ...Gen is 45mm x 15mm.. Thanks all

EdenAlando

Known Member
5/5/20
Bangkok
Just received my WWF Sang Bleu black titanium today. Purchased it after reading this great review. The watch is really awesome ...Be it aesthetically or built... Really like to thank pistebasher ...????????????????

Reactions: pistebasher

Max Dad

Reloj Amor
Supporter
Certified
28/1/21
Spain
Thx pistebasher, good review, must admit, first time I saw this design I just thought WTF? How do you tell the time, it's a gimmic! A novelty watch, surely? But, it's grown on me, having seen youtube reviews and what not, I've decided that it does have real appeal as a unique new design, by a reputable and respected brand. As you can tell, I am talking my self into getting one, BUT I AM concerned about the uncomfortable strap comments, THAT is not acceptable to me.....so please advise, what is the cure, without having to spend 100s?? Thx.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Thx pistebasher, good review, must admit, first time I saw this design I just thought WTF? How do you tell the time, it's a gimmic! A novelty watch, surely? But, it's grown on me, having seen youtube reviews and what not, I've decided that it does have real appeal as a unique new design, by a reputable and respected brand. As you can tell, I am talking my self into getting one, BUT I AM concerned about the uncomfortable strap comments, THAT is not acceptable to me.....so please advise, what is the cure, without having to spend 100s?? Thx.

The cure for me was to wear it a touch looser than I would normally and the rubber does soften up over time with wearing. It's a big watch. If you are 16cm circumference or less, it will wear you rather than you wear it. Oh and it wouldn't slide under Gandalf's cuff, let alone that of a dressy shirt.