• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO HBB REPS (A work in progress)

quicktime

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/09
I have always loved the hublot, do you have any updates, and why is the bb plat mat so much $

TKH

15/2/09
whats the biggest visual giveaway between the ULTIMATE and the LITE ?

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
quicktime said:
I have always loved the hublot, do you have any updates, and why is the bb plat mat so much $

I don't profess to be an expert on the mat models, but I know there are two different versions of the mat models. The V1 versions are more expensive ($600+) because everything that maker produces is more expensive. They use the far superior high beat movement, they come with superb double sided AR, and all case parts (including the H-screws) are allegedly 1:1 interchangeable with the gen.

The V2 mat models are much less expensive (about $300) but they all have the unreliable low beat movement, the crystal has decent, but single-sided AR, and the case parts are not all 1:1 with the gen watches.

I'm not sure if the mat models are available in "Lite" versions from the V1 factory yet. If they are, they should be much less expensive, with the good high beat movement, but with no AR at all. You could then try to add aftermarket AR yourself through Chieftang or another coating service. I would check with Angus to see if "Lite" V1 mat models are out yet.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
i love the Matt HBB...i already tried the GEN ...even the palladium matt version too..looks gorgeous...the seanna GEN is superb too...im not sure about the Red Devil tho...but if i have the money ..maybe i would buy the palladium..

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
When I have a couple of hours to spare, I'll start a section on the new "full ceramic" reps. I treated myself to an Ultimate V1 Ice Bang and it's amazing. The only way someone could "call out" one of these things is on the datewheel. They've gotten that good that we actually have to worry about the thinner font used on the rep date wheel! :)

For now, if you need info on the V1 and V2 full ceramic models, check out Taka's superb Black Magic comparison.

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Wasn't someone going to make this a STICKY (hint, hint)?

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Thanks jj69 for excellent writeup!

Tried a Rose gold HBB non chronograph during a trip a few weeks back and came back to Sweden and browsed their site and was hooked from that moment!

But 20k for the (quartz :p ) gen is waaay to much, then I found this super nice forum and been really great to read this post and following Guru´s crazy adventures with HBB´s ;)

Looking at at least 2-3 HBB rep´s for future investment and damn their quality are impressive indeed.

Think the
Big Bang Ice Bang Full Ceramic Ultimate Edition over at Puretime might be the first to be ordered when I got the cash to spare...

Keep up the good work and thanks again for collecting so much useful info in one thread.

/J

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
i am going to make this a sticky bud, but i will have to discuss some of the details that have changed ever since the posting of this thread. can you send me your email or msn so we can discuss more about this..?

myhomemiami

27/12/09
How reliable is the claim that some of these models are 1:1 reps with interchageable parts with the gen

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
How reliable is the claim that some of these models are 1:1 reps with interchangeable parts with the gen

Well for the watch-case /body it can be true but not movement parts, that im pretty sure of.
You can probably fit a gen MVT in the case and fit dial and hands and strap.
But rest assured you cant use parts of the asian movement as spare for a gen...
Hands can stack in a different way rep/gen so might screw things up.

1:1 reps normally have the usual flaws like wrong fonts, datewheel etc.
But also be pretty damn accurate compared to cheaper, but in no way be "as the original" when it comes down to material and quality control.

Damu

Horology Curious
20/6/10
Hey guys!

First post - glad I discovered this great forum.

Since I'm new to that whole rep-thing, I did a lot of reading and plan to start off with a HBB quartz (either from hont or watcheden) for everyday usage (preferably with sapphire crystal glass) - here's my main question:
on the gens there always seem to be the 0 - 10 - 20 and 12 - 4 - 8 marks on the sub-dials (is that the correct term?), while on the quartz reps there are 24 - 8 - 16 and 60 - 20 - 40 marks. Are there gens with these marks, because I haven't come across any yet?

Glad to hear some tips or general advice!

Regards from Germany!
Damu

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
The markings on the quartz reps are different because the quartz movement is completely different from the automatic movement. The subdials do different things.

On the automatics (both rep and gen), the subdials are always:

9 o'clock: running seconds (not marked)
6 o'clock: Chrono hour counter (1-12)
3 o'clock: Chrono minute counter (1-60)

The quartz models use a Miyota OS20 movement with this layout:

9 o'clock: Chrono minute counter (1-60, but not marked so it looks more like the gen automatic dial)
6 o'clock: running seconds (1-60)
3 o'clock: 24 hour time indicator (1-24)

As I said, there is no gen quartz Big Bang, so you will never find a gen with the same markings as the quartz.

So the dial markings on the quartz reps is not 1:1 perfect, but the rest of the design is very close.

Also, I don't think you're going to find a quartz HBB with a sapphire crystal. There was one factory making a few models with what they claimed was a sapphire crystal, but I haven't seen one in ages. Besides, the ones Hont is carrying now are better quality overall anyway.

Damu

Horology Curious
20/6/10
Now I get it, thanks a lot! Didn't really get that in your quartz-part due to the fact, that English isn't my mother-tongue.

Anyway - will have to decide, if I should go for a high-beat, more expensive HBB or the Bang-for-the-buck everyday quartz rep.

Both seem to be worth their price, if high-beat really is that reliable, compared to low-beat.

Al-Nij

Horology Curious
14/6/09
Hi all, first post here and i'd just like to say that this is all very helpful for anyone looking to purchase hublot. I love the look of these watches and they are certainly very close to the originals.

Just though I would let you know that I had 2 HBB Kings from Timeshop.net, one was mine and the other my dads (http://www.timeshops.net/HB9011_-_B...BEZEL_-_SWISS_ETA_2892_28800BPH_210019-84.htm & http://www.timeshops.net/HB8995_-_B..._BEZEL_-_SWISS_ETA_2892_28800BPH_210017-9.htm) and they both looked fantastic. The only problem was that after about a 2 months of use the crown snapped off my dads watch, but I quicly dismissed this as him being too rough, however a few days later my watch did the same!!! I sent them back to Timeshop.net and they went missing after they arrived in china! I still really love these watches and don't blame timeshop for the watches going missing, however I am reluctant to buy another HBB King incase the same thing happens again.........

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
First off I'd like to thank the OP for a very informative post...among the most informative I've seen on any forum of any kind (and believe me, I'm on a lot of them ;) )

Thanks to this, I've decided to pick up a quartz King Power. Probably a regular HBB as well. :whistle: A few questions:

Does the quartz King have the same subdial layout as the HBB? I'm assuming so since it appears to be the same movement. Second, (and this applies to all pieces with the Miyota movement), does the "main" second hand on the quartz version rest at the 12'oclock position then the chrono isnt running? Finally, the high beat movement is the 28.8K/hr, as opposed to the low beat 21.6K/hr, correct?

Thanks for the wisdom :thumbsup:

ron99

18/10/10
ES + NL
Thank you!

Thank you SO much, jj69, for making this great thread and going on with it!!

I have already learned a lot with it and it really has explained me why until now I had found so much different HBB models-versions-prices around all the dealers.

From here on I will now study the Hont and PureTime sites to go further pinpoint "the one" for me. I want 1 HBB in my collection so I really want it to be one of the best available.

Greatings

frodostar

I'm Pretty Popular
7/10/10
gr8 post came accross this looking for a ceramic bez and screws after smashing mine !!!!!!!!!!!! great read thanks jj

Mr Tudor

Horology Curious
30/12/10
Hi
I was just wondering how many different makers of the HH watches are their ?
I mean are there hundreds of factories or do the dealers get them from one or two

How can you tell the different grades ?
Thanks