• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO HBB REPS (A work in progress)

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
JJ, good job dude. I thoroughly enjoyed your write up. After two years, I am still
very happy with my V1 HBB. I compared watch to watch with a gen this guy had on afew weeks back and we could not see any difference. I told him mine was a rep
and he turned white with jaw dropped.

eyeglaskid

Horology Curious
13/1/09
After reading this article I decided to order a Ultimate wil full ceramic with HONT, I am having him do the dial markings in rose gold. How do I spec the high beat movement? I def want the glass back. HONT responded, but I have not heard from him for a couple of days. Any thoughts on this configuration?

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Thanks for your comments, eyeclaskid. I actually don't own a ceramic model myself, but here's the best info I have right now. There only two makers producing full ceramic models at the present. Of course, there is the V1 Ultimate factory. Those models are available from Puretime/Josh/Andrew/King/Etc. for about $750 or so. They come with the high beat movement.

There is also another factory producing a different full ceramic case. These are commonly sold by Prestige Watch Co/Time4Direct and other dealers for about $399. However, I have seen these models offered ONLY with the low beat movement. I'm am sure Hont could sources these, but I am not sure if he can source the V1 Ultimate Ceramic. You should ask him exactly which version will be getting before you buy. If Hont can get the less expensive ceramic version with the HIGH BEAT movement, that would be great news. It would be nice to know what the price would be. If you get a price quote, be sure to let us all know in this thread!

eyeglaskid said:
After reading this article I decided to order a Ultimate wil full ceramic with HONT, I am having him do the dial markings in rose gold. How do I spec the high beat movement? I def want the glass back. HONT responded, but I have not heard from him for a couple of days. Any thoughts on this configuration?

juelz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/09
i hear that but i rather pay less for the lower beat version which looks better that the high beat version...besides i heard theres hardly a difference in low beat and high beat and they both keep good time and are reliable...also what is the main difference between the two versions case's

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
juelz said:
i hear that but i rather pay less for the lower beat version which looks better that the high beat version...besides i heard theres hardly a difference in low beat and high beat and they both keep good time and are reliable...also what is the main difference between the two versions case's

You heard wrong. The low beat movements can be very problematic out of the box. Most high beat movements are very reliable, and well worth the extra money. Of course, with this model, you're comparing a $400 to a $750 version, so it may worth it to save some money in the end.

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
jj69: thanks for the latest installment. Keep 'em coming, please!

eyeglaskid

Horology Curious
13/1/09
HONT Quoted me $705 for the full ceramic but once I requested the high beat movement I didnt hear from him, I suspect the CNY or a day off, he comes across as very reliable. Puretime has been getting poor CS reviews as of late, and dosent respond, and I dont have Josh or Andrews contact info. Any help or assistance would be appreciated, I am losing weight day dreaming about this watch.

jj69 said:
Thanks for your comments, eyeclaskid. I actually don't own a ceramic model myself, but here's the best info I have right now. There only two makers producing full ceramic models at the present. Of course, there is the V1 Ultimate factory. Those models are available from Puretime/Josh/Andrew/King/Etc. for about $750 or so. They come with the high beat movement.

There is also another factory producing a different full ceramic case. These are commonly sold by Prestige Watch Co/Time4Direct and other dealers for about $399. However, I have seen these models offered ONLY with the low beat movement. I'm am sure Hont could sources these, but I am not sure if he can source the V1 Ultimate Ceramic. You should ask him exactly which version will be getting before you buy. If Hont can get the less expensive ceramic version with the HIGH BEAT movement, that would be great news. It would be nice to know what the price would be. If you get a price quote, be sure to let us all know in this thread!

eyeglaskid said:

Rogerthat

Renowned Member
6/11/06
I would love to know if the new HBB Bracelet that you got from Hont will properly fit the V1 HBB?
I know they won't sell just the bracelet but if it fits the V1 properly I likely would buy the whole watch for the bracelet.

Has any conclusion been reached on the ceramic bezels of the original V1 being better (real OEM) or just overpriced and the quality of the current ones are the same? I have followed the HBB very closely since the first day Angus/PureTime posted prototype images of this model.
Though he has lately seemed to slip in service, he does deserve credit for making the HBB happen and for doing everything possible at the time to make the rep as accurate as it was. This HBB was the 1stsuch case in the rep community where members input shaped a watch and corrected flaws before they were launched. For this reason the HBB to me has an extra bit of sentimential value.

Also, if you want members to upload photos of our HBB's, let us know.
Nice write up,very informative.

Thanks,
M

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Thanks for the kind words, M. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I see no reason whatsoever why the bracelet would not fit the V1. You would likely have to remove the shrot endlinks/strap covers from the V2 watch and put them on your V1, but I don't think it would be a problem at all. I know people would like a definite answer to this question, but I like my SS bracelet rep too much as it is to start dismantling it now. As you may be aware, once you start messing with these soft H-screws, you risk stripping the threads and having them fall out on you. Frankly ,the V2 with SS bracelet is so cheap from Hont, why not just grab it and try it? If the bracelet won't fit on your V1, I'm sure you could sell it at no loss in two seconds flat.

I tend to be a bit of a cheapskate. I never bought a V1 ceramic bezel, and I have no intention of spending $750 on a V1 all ceramic model either. I do have a polished ceramic bezel on my V2/SS bracelet. I have had no problems whatsoever with it. No scratches to speak of yet. Apparently, the bezels are interchangeable with V1 bezels, but the H-screws are not.

If you have good HBB photos, upload them to your photobucket and PM me the links. I'll try to add them to the text.

eyeglaskid

Horology Curious
13/1/09
Im Having a hard time contacting anyone for the ultimate. Any links to the trusted sellers you mentioned? Or even email addresses? I heard angus at puretime has a partner named phillip, does anyone have his email?

Rogerthat

Renowned Member
6/11/06
Things still seem slow due to Chinese new year on the dealer side
Give it a few days and I think responses will start coming faster

Cheers
M

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
This is my hublot, bought because of this tread!
HublotEdit2.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Very nice write ups JJ. I like the term rep maker used rather than factory ;)

Here are the Hublots that I have ever owned. All from the very first rep maker and yes they are turned out to be the best:
DSCN1600.jpg

DSCN6804.jpg

DSCN4844_resize.jpg

P4281207.jpg

PS, the closest to genuine is SS Tuiga version. Closed caseback, real ceramic.

wothrottle

Horology Curious
31/12/08
alviando said:
This is my hublot, bought because of this tread!
HublotEdit2.jpg

to the experts, is this one, i suspect it´s the cappucciono from hont, correct to the gen?

i´m pending between this and an all black hbb, which one would you recommend?

a wristi would also be GREAT! :p

abaka

Looking Around
18/2/09
This is a very good read!

I'm more interested in obtaining 2 Jacob & Co 5 time zone reps, but a HBB is also on my wish list, it's a more "formal" watch because the Jacob & Co don't really go well with anything other than casual wear lol!

Dogma

Renowned Member
4/1/09
This thread has certainly peaked my interest. With the help of Guru and this thread, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one. Thanks for all the info!!!

Dogma

Panerino

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/06
I bought the King Bang Palladium and it rocks.....one of the best reps I have ever seen..... :D :D