• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Official Graham Club" Let's see your Graham!

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
Ok, I've restarted this thread under a more official title at the request of the guys visiting the last thread. Since there are no official clubs for Graham watches, I figured that there is enough interest (based on previous thread) to start one.

So, here we are!

grahamclub.png

George Graham, born in 1673, master watchmaker who lived in Fleet Street in London.

London was definitely the place to be if you were interested in watchmaking in the 17th and 18th centuries. A highly developed city, it had a business culture, the world's first scientific society and a navy all of which had pressing time keeping requirements.

Like many Brits before and after him, Graham was more interested in generating lots of ideas than in making money. He created several inventions but never patented any of them.

For example, he created the first stopwatch. He devised a mercury pendulum system for making clocks more accurate in very hot and very cold weather. He also invented the dead-beat escapement which made clocks more accurate in general and built the master clock for Greenwich Royal Observatory. The escapement he invented is today simply known as the Graham Escapement and still used in high-precision pendulum clocks. It is actually a predecessor to the Swiss anchor movement almost universally used in wristwatches.

Graham had a pretty open attitude to sharing his innovations. He often helped fellow horologists like John Harrison and Julien Le Roy to solve problems, and for this acquired the nickname "honest George."
George Graham had learnt his trade from Henry Aske and went on to work for Thomas Tompion. Graham and Tompion moved from being colleagues to friends, with George marrying Tompion's niece, Elizabeth. In 1713, after Tompion's death, Graham took over the business premises.

London had a business culture, the world's first scientific society and a navy all of which had pressing time keeping requirements.

Graham became a veritable pillar of the scientific and clockmaking establishment and in 1721, he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society and contributed over twenty papers to its scientific journal, the Philosophical Transactions. George Graham became Master of the Clockmakers' Company in 1722.

Graham died in 1751 and was buried in Westminster Abbey in the same grave as his mentor and friend, Thomas Tompion. The inscription of the stone reads:

George Graham of London, watchmaker and F.R.S. whose curious inventions do honour to ye British genius whose accurate performance are ye standard of mechanic skill. He died ye XVI of November MDCCLI in the LXXVIII year of his age.

George Graham's curious inventions are the inspiration behind their watches.

And here is my entry to the Club:

graham2.jpg

alexrams

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/13
I'll join the Club as soon as I get mine that I ordered from Toro. I've been waiting a while but it should be in this week. Mine will be an oversize Chrono-fighter blue dial.

soze

Renowned Member
26/3/13
The banner looks great Mobius!
Here is my photo, as from the previous thread.

UbaIgHI.jpg

PKNutsy

Renowned Member
26/3/12
Mobius....i will apologise in advantage for using the Offical Graham signature it looks fantastic...take a bow son!

Here is my bad boy....
z2jK9ae.jpg

fus4lKZ.jpg

q59V6Hw.png

Just when i thought RWI could not get any better..!!!:cheers:

Nutsy:stb:

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Nice lads.

Perhaps some history on the timepieces would be good?

Also has the primary driver who wants a graham section established, made contact with trail boss? TB has always been supportive of quality additions to the forum.

Personally, I see real value as it formally adds to my knowledge and the photography is top class.

soze

Renowned Member
26/3/13
Mobius....i will apologise in advantage for using the Offical Graham signature it looks fantastic...take a bow son!

I will take the liberty to add it to my signature as well.

Thanks Mobius!

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
Good ideas all! Feel free to use the sig once you post a pic of your Graham! I'll shoot TB a pm once I get back home tonight. If you have historical or interesting facts that you want at the front, pm me and I will edit the opening post with the data (giving you cred for the research of course)!

kss207rc

Known Member
5/8/12
Great Threads guys,

You Mobius,FMALDONADOG on the other graham thread and all the other guys made me love them in a matter of minutes.

Can someone please take a wrist shot of a chronofighter on the right wrist and post it,i am a lefty so i like to wear my watches on the right and i think those huge crown guards might be a problem.

I really loved the diver but regarding the price that toro has on the classic i can't resist.
Which dial color combination on the classic is more accurate?

PKNutsy

Renowned Member
26/3/12
Hey Kss I will post up some pictures of my Gaham on my right wrist when I get home this Tuesday.

kss207rc

Known Member
5/8/12
Thanks PK,i will wait for them,i am very close on joining the club so this would be great help.
My wrist size is about 7 inches,how big those chonofighters are on the wrist?
I have a couple of big watches 48-50mm and i generally like big watches.
Thanks in advance.

scropper

Known Member
30/10/07
Great Threads guys,

You Mobius,FMALDONADOG on the other graham thread and all the other guys made me love them in a matter of minutes.

Can someone please take a wrist shot of a chronofighter on the right wrist and post it,i am a lefty so i like to wear my watches on the right and i think those huge crown guards might be a problem.

I really loved the diver but regarding the price that toro has on the classic i can't resist.
Which dial color combination on the classic is more accurate?

Can't take pics right now but I can tell you that any Graham with the 'trigger' will be a huge pain on the right wrist...

Like the swordfish models?

kss207rc

Known Member
5/8/12
Can't take pics right now but I can tell you that any Graham with the 'trigger' will be a huge pain on the right wrist...

No I don't like at all the swordfish models.
Hmm i was afraid that the 'trigger' would be a problem for me,but i also had a rebosus watch that i have sold now,which was 51mm and had big crown guards on the left side,i could wear it fine but can't tell from photos how big is the trigger on the chronofigter.
Maybe i get one and eventually if it is a pain i wear it on the left :facepalm::rofl:

You can see what i am talking about here(i am putting just a link because i don't want to spoil the tread)
http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/kss207rc/library/rebosus/grh

soze

Renowned Member
26/3/13

I agree. It will not permit you to flex your hand upwards, as it will dig into the back of your hand. The ones with the large triggers really are made for left-handers.