• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My First Watch from 1997 - Swatch Irony Chrono. Revived!

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I was cleaning out my "stuff" and found the first
watch I purchased on my own back in 1997.

My very first job was working as the sales associate at the Swatch retail store. If I recall correctly, the retail price was $120 and I was able to purchase this for $60 using my 50% employee discount.

Although it's a quartz watch, this has a lot of cool features packed in. It is a chronograph watch with a date function. What is unique about the chronograph function of this watch is that it measures 1/10th of a second. The way it works is, you activate the chronograph by pressing on the top right button and you press the top right button again when you want to stop the chronograph function. AND when you do that, the top right subdial starts rotating and tells you what tenth of a second you stopped the chronograph. Top left subdial measures how many minutes you have been running the chronograph for. And the subdial at 6 is your normal second hand.

Anyway

I found this watch and put in a new 394 battery and voila.... It starts running again immediately. I hope you can feel my excitement when the subdial at 6 starts ticking again. After that I started adjusting the time and date and activate the chronograph. AND.... Everything appeared to be working as it should, except for the split second feature.

Here is a Pic of the watch. It's 40mm in diameter and has a metallic sky blue dial with plexi glass. I gained about 20 pounds since my high school days so I couldn't fit this on my wrist but maybe I will give this to my 12yo as his first real watch.
ZXGTsc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rwacc

Lana11

Horology Curious
13/3/21
A triathlete have what sort of watches? Obviously a Triathlon watch! So that my first triathlon watch was Ironman Timex, one of the oldest triathlon watch and I still have that but Alas! as it doesn't work anymore. Right now I have Polar grit X, I found plenty of reviews about triathlon watches on srcgadgets.com you can find them too. Your post literally took me back into the memories.

Reactions: rwacc

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
I personally love swatch watches reminds me of being a kid again I bought a few new old stock from 1993 1994 even one I plan on giving my 3 year old son when he gets older