• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diver watch No date or date? The original

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
Strangely I ran into a article today on the 114060 no date Rolex Sub and realized that this was a interesting topic. We all know the Rolex 14060 and 114060 are the more common models with the date wheel but honestly, why in the world would a true diver watch need a date wheel if your only main concern is how mush oxygen and time left underwater is your most important priority.
It made me think and also found it bizarre that we tend to refer to the submariner model as the “no date’ when in fact the 16610 or 116610 are actually the models we should be differentiating after all, the date wheel is an add on to a diver watch and not a common necessity or need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b583fa7875ca4844f87a4618eea01acb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc.77

Samabux

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/17
Texas
It is strange that the watch with no date wheel picked up that reference, especially when the Submariner was born that way. Perhaps it was born out of popularity for the sub with a date wheel. I’d be interested to know the production numbers for each of the models up to now. My guess is the model with the date has sold more and is more popular in the retail market, but just a guess.

limbercoder60

Horology Curious
18/12/20
My guess is that as dive watches grew in popularity among the general population companies realized no everyone would be using their watches for diving and decided to add it for convenience. That or if you're gonna buy a watch that expensive you're probably not only gonna use it diving but also in your day to day life and knowing the date in a time when you could only get it from a calendar or newspaper would be something important to certain people.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
It is strange that the watch with no date wheel picked up that reference, especially when the Submariner was born that way. Perhaps it was born out of popularity for the sub with a date wheel. I’d be interested to know the production numbers for each of the models up to now. My guess is the model with the date has sold more and is more popular in the retail market, but just a guess.
My AD told me they receive about a 5:1 ratio of date to no date subs and they are one of the largest ADs in my metro area. I'm in line for a 124060 and he said if I wanted to improve my chances I should also consider the 126610 since they get about 5x as many.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doc.77

Doc.77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/21
The true Submariner is the no date version! 124060 is the real deal!

Prlx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/12/19
The no date is an iconic watch. Really stunning 60's Rolexes, with patina, is just something of it's own..