• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4130 movement

Sh587

Looking Around
24/8/20
Hi,
To start with, i am not sure if it is the right section to post my topic so please redirect me to the right place,
i have a private project of building a 116520 rolex where i got all genuine parts but unfortunately missing a 4130 movement! :(
does anyone know a trusted dealer that sells a genuine 4130 movement?

Voodoojar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/9/15
I dont know if youll have much luck sourcing a gen 4130 movement these days. Lately ive seen them sold for over $10,000 on chrono24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
IMO, I think it’s a better idea to just use the 4130 clone movement. Functions just like the gen movement, and reduces the overall costs. Plus the watch still wouldnt be gen just because you got every part gen. Just my opinion tho.

Reactions: Ylijumala

Prlx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/12/19
If you have a gen, that you want to adjust the movement in, the 4130 is a good choice, but if it a rep with gen parts, you should save the money and by a rep movement. Works well!

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Hi,
To start with, i am not sure if it is the right section to post my topic so please redirect me to the right place,
i have a private project of building a 116520 rolex where i got all genuine parts but unfortunately missing a 4130 movement! :(
does anyone know a trusted dealer that sells a genuine 4130 movement?

I dont know if youll have much luck sourcing a gen 4130 movement these days. Lately ive seen them sold for over $10,000 on chrono24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go

Reactions: GIG and Vi-Lo

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
IMO, I think it’s a better idea to just use the 4130 clone movement. Functions just like the gen movement, and reduces the overall costs. Plus the watch still wouldnt be gen just because you got every part gen. Just my opinion tho.
Don't know what you mean by this. Gen? If every part on it is GEN, it is a GEN. It isn't a rolex built one but it is 100% genuine so it is a GEN. The word Gen is a joke. It is something only people with fake parts say. I know on Ebay when someone puts GEN on the sale it is most likely not real.

If you look back on my post, I have built complete, 116710LN and 16700 all rolex and Rolex inspected them and registered them. One under me and another under a ex member from here. Also I sold a 100% Rolex 116610LV and a 16613LB and a 16800. All 100% Rolex. All built by me. I just brought a 16620 from a buddies auction house. I posted it here. It had a bunch of fake parts on it. I just brought it back to 100% Rolex and sold it back to him. Rolex will have no issue with it when they look at it now.

People, as was I, think Rolex is a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Example. The 16700 that I built started with a case. I knew nothing about gmt's. I got a real 16710 dial and hands a new 3186 (which didnt really fit the case) and built a 16710. Then I found out about the 3175 movement and found it is almost identical to a 3135 minus 6 parts. Ordered the parts and built a 3135 up to a 3175. I though that rolex would had check the serial number on the 3175 and found it was a 3135 built to a 3175. No. The guy who brought it from me took it to Rolex in CT and they told him it was in perfect order, gave him an evaluation on the watch and recommended that the hands be replaced due to a scratch.

My 116710LN was built by me and I met up with a member from here to get his band evaluated at Rolex in NYC. He needed a real 116710 head. I took my real band off and took the head and put his band on it and paid the evaluation price and they passed it and registered the serial number under me.

So a rolex that is 100% is a real rolex. They don't keep a lot of records at Rolex. I have ran a lot of watch serial numbers. A good 85% of them have zero service history. There are a lot of non rolex watch makers that service rolex, and no one but us here at RWI really care.

NPD

7/2/22
EU
@occb2 not only a spot-on comment, but also very informative! Thanks for sharing your own personal experiences. It's encouraging to know that, especially when reaching a certain blurred limit of Frankenstein build, that it comes down to sourcing the few pending gen parts to get an all-Rolex watch -- to the point it is accepted by Rolex themselves (granted, in my own brief experience, sourcing gen Rolex movements is not an easy endeavor)

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
@occb2 not only a spot-on comment, but also very informative! Thanks for sharing your own personal experiences. It's encouraging to know that, especially when reaching a certain blurred limit of Frankenstein build, that it comes down to sourcing the few pending gen parts to get an all-Rolex watch -- to the point it is accepted by Rolex themselves (granted, in my own brief experience, sourcing gen Rolex movements is not an easy endeavor)
Easier than you think. But more costly than one would expect.

Frankening a watch to the extent of it being all Gen most of the time exceeds the list price.

Reactions: NPD and Prlx

NPD

7/2/22
EU
Easier than you think. But more costly than one would expect.

Frankening a watch to the extent of it being all Gen most of the time exceeds the list price.

That’s precisely what I find interesting & challenging about going down that route. The gen movement is the part with which I have none experience in sourcing, and the perception I have is that it is extremely limited in supply, and thus very expensive.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Movements are out there. 15XX and 30XX and 31XX are a bit more expensive than they were 3 years ago. They were going for $1200 and now I just paid $2600 for a 3135 factory serviced.

The Daytona 4130 is crazy in price.

Reactions: GIG

NPD

7/2/22
EU
Movements are out there. 15XX and 30XX and 31XX are a bit more expensive than they were 3 years ago. They were going for $1200 and now I just paid $2600 for a 3135 factory serviced.

The Daytona 4130 is crazy in price.

You just gave me two surprising pieces of information:

1) $1,200 does sound crazy cheap - shame that 3 years ago I still hadn't considered buying any rep watch or dived into the world of frankening.
2) By current standards, $2,600 for a factory serviced 3135 caliber still sounds like pretty reasonable for current market - was that a one-off deal or are you able to point me in the right direction to get a similar offer on the table?

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Wow! Thank you so much for posting that website. That pushed me over the edge to start a Super Franken build!

Any other similar resources?
Just look at the things properly there. Many are said to be in great condition but are scratched to oblivion.

GIG

9/9/22
Just look at the things properly there. Many are said to be in great condition but are scratched to oblivion.
I appreciate the advice! I spent the past hour looking threw the inventory. Excited to order some parts.

Any experience with shipping to US?

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I appreciate the advice! I spent the past hour looking threw the inventory. Excited to order some parts.

Any experience with shipping to US?
I'm in EU. So no😂

Last edited:
Reactions: GIG