• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BUYING A WATCH THROUGH CHRONO24

AnisseZ

Horology Curious
7/9/20
Hello Guys,

Im about to get married (dont know if its a good idea but we will see haha) and I wanted to buy a Tudor Princess for my wife.

I never bought a real watch online and I found the watch I wanted on chrono24. The seller look like its a serious company from Hong Kong. ( Almost 400 trusted checkout). So I am willing to give it a try.

The problem is that I want the watch to be delivered in france while the seller is in HK.

So I wanted to know if you guys could share your experience regarding the custom and taxes duties.

I know that I am supposed to pay the VAT, but do I have to pay it only if the custom spot the watch ? Or is there a chance it goes through without me having to pay it .

Is it worth asking the seller to reduce the declared price so I dont pay too much VAT?

If I ask the seller to reduce it too much, is there a chance that the custom ask me to pay the VAT on the full prince of tudor's catalog ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys,

Anisse

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You'll be royally buttfucked by French Customs if you import that watch. You will pay 40% import tax on the declared value, plus other assorted fees.

The seller will use something like DHL, FEDEX etc, he won't want the local PO delivering the watch, which means there is zero chance of Customs not spotting the watch.

You can ask the seller to under declare the value, but he'll probably refuse as the package won't be insured for it's true value.

Buy inside the EU if you want to avoid import taxes.

AnisseZ

Horology Curious
7/9/20
40% WHAT ? I though that I would only have to pay the VAT which is around 20%. I didnt find it in the UE. If its 20% I think that it might still be a good deal.

Should I ask the seller to under declare it and go for it ?

Thanks.

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
The seller will most likely refuse to declare a lower value as it goes against chrono24's rules. Tripdog is absolutely right, and with DHL or Fedex you will receive the import duties after having received the watch. Stick to buying from European sellers ;-)

AnisseZ

Horology Curious
7/9/20
Yeah, why not, ignore everything I posted and go for it.

Hahaha not at all. Thanks for your precious advices. It might have saved me quite some cash.

I am just trying to digest the information and see all the options I have left.

I guess I'll ask out of luck if he is willing to declare a lower value if not, I will find another watch/seller in the EU.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I guess I'll ask out of luck if he is willing to declare a lower value if not, I will find another watch/seller in the EU.

If it were lost in the post would you be prepared to only get a proportion of your payment back?

LowExpanded

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/7/12
If you don't want pay any taxes, simple ask seller to send a parcel like a "gift" or better "toy" and mark price about 5-7€. I'm from europe too, Latvia, no any problems with "gift" or "toy".

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
If you don't want pay any taxes, simple ask seller to send a parcel like a "gift" or better "toy" and mark price about 5-7€. I'm from europe too, Latvia, no any problems with "gift" or "toy".

Then it would only be able to be insured for max 7€, you can only insure for the declared value - Thats the whole point of the responses above.

Would you, as a seller, be prepared to do that when you are responsible for delivery and loss if it does not arrive? Most sellers will not lie on a customs declaration form, and for good reason - It isnt worth the risk and the reality is, it is not their risk to take.

If the buyer were to try anything then he could say to the seller, "can I send my own courier to collect"..... Then you can declare what you want on the parcel and run the risk yourself. The seller may be open to this. You just have to ask yourself, "am I prepared to buy this uninsured and risk the total loss of the parcel without reimbursement".

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Hello Guys,

Im about to get married (dont know if its a good idea but we will see haha) and I wanted to buy a Tudor Princess for my wife.

I never bought a real watch online and I found the watch I wanted on chrono24. The seller look like its a serious company from Hong Kong. ( Almost 400 trusted checkout). So I am willing to give it a try.

The problem is that I want the watch to be delivered in france while the seller is in HK.

So I wanted to know if you guys could share your experience regarding the custom and taxes duties.

I know that I am supposed to pay the VAT, but do I have to pay it only if the custom spot the watch ? Or is there a chance it goes through without me having to pay it .

Is it worth asking the seller to reduce the declared price so I dont pay too much VAT?

If I ask the seller to reduce it too much, is there a chance that the custom ask me to pay the VAT on the full prince of tudor's catalog ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys,

Anisse

Jet co is a serious seller, I've purchased multiple watches from them. I believe this is the same seller you're talking about.

Here is how it goes:

1. You pay on C24. I always pay with CC.

2. Seller will confirm payment, this seller will most likely confirm the delivery address multiple times (even if you already gave it to him)

3. They will send the watch with a declaration of the watch value in either HKD or USD.

4. Where I live, it is delivered by UPS and upon delivery I have to pay the delivery driver roughly ~20% VAT and Import Duties in cash.

5. A few months later UPS sends me a final VAT/Duties statement and in one case had to pay another €7.

The seller is serious and will NOT declare a false value and neither should you ask for it. You mention it's a Tudor, so probably around €1800? That's not even €200 for import. Not worth the risk.

Buy the watch and have her enjoy.

gwalk03

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/15
I buy a lot of Gen watches, cars, property online sight unseen and I’ll say don’t buy the product or item. Buy the seller and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: joeyc

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
I have received parcels delivered by DHL from Hong Kong to France (not reps) and I confirm that those bastards charge a lot of taxes.
My last order cost me 90€ and DHL took another 56€ to let me have it.
No way...

Last edited:

thom.son

Renowned Member
Certified
26/11/18
The France's import tax is so painful. A few months back I've shipped a small package from the US to France, put the declare value for $90 USD, but I needed to pay the duty and tax for 58 EUR.

Nah....no more shipping to France again :(.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I have received parcels delivered by DHL from Hong Kong to France (not reps) and I confirm that those bastards charge a lot of taxes.
My last order cost me 90€ and DHL took another 56€ to let me have it.
No way...

Your VAT is roughly 19%, custom duties are between 5-17% - even with the highest custom duty you're paying no more than €32 to the tax-man. Maybe DHL is charging a high fee for handling customs?

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
Your VAT is roughly 19%, custom duties are between 5-17% - even with the highest custom duty you're paying no more than €32 to the tax-man. Maybe DHL is charging a high fee for handling customs?

Our VAT has increased to 20% for a few years now.
And yes, DHL France charges extra handling fees. Just thieves...

AnisseZ

Horology Curious
7/9/20
Thanks for all these replies but I actually followed your advices and bought a watch directly in France. I didnt find the exact model I wanted but she is happy with the watch she recevied so its perfect.

Regarding that Tudor, the seller kindly offered me to reduce the declared value as a commercial gesture by 300 or 400€ but it was just too complicated. So maybe next time.

altaylar1

Known Member
23/9/20
Thanks for all these replies but I actually followed your advices and bought a watch directly in France. I didnt find the exact model I wanted but she is happy with the watch she recevied so its perfect.

Regarding that Tudor, the seller kindly offered me to reduce the declared value as a commercial gesture by 300 or 400€ but it was just too complicated. So maybe next time.

You did the best. May she use it in good health