• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Grey-market dealers and their inventory?

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Does anyone know where grey market dealers get their watches from? Would the general public (so to speak) be able to get it directly from the 'source' so to speak? Or is it mostly stuff from pawnshops etc..?

I've noticed a lot of NOS items, so I'd really want to know if it's possible for the average joe to get his hands on them before they reach a grey market dealer?

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
Its pretty common for some people to buy those watches and throw them in the safe and never wear them. I know a few guys with absurd rolex collections with NIB watches from the 80s and 90s. So your grey market dealers likely get them from people like that that sell off pieces of a collection.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gwalk03

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/15
Just got to have a good relationship with an AD. Buy all models not just the popular ones. I spent around $65-70k at my old AD before I was offered really hot ticket items and we are talking Rolex. If you are wanting hot PP better get ready to drop $100-150k just to be offered a Nautilus or Aquanaut and that still might be low.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Just got to have a good relationship with an AD. Buy all models not just the popular ones. I spent around $65-70k at my old AD before I was offered really hot ticket items and we are talking Rolex. If you are wanting hot PP better get ready to drop $100-150k just to be offered a Nautilus or Aquanaut and that still might be low.

Not really what was asked but :)

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
Just got to have a good relationship with an AD. Buy all models not just the popular ones. I spent around $65-70k at my old AD before I wasi offered reallyhot ticket items and we are talking Rolex. If you are wanting hot PP better get ready to drop $100-150k just to be offered a Nautilus or Aquanaut and that still might be low.

i thinnk i need to start my relationship with the AD soon lol

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
Gray market dealers sell new watches but as used because they can’t use the factory warranty, sometimes they get them from authorized dealers that have watches sitting around that don’t sell not in high demand ect, this is why you never or rarely see Rolex since they sell for msrp or over, it’s a controlled market like diamonds, I’m not a huge Rolex fan and am growing to hate them, so my next watch will be a real diving watch a blancpain fifty fathoms not a shitty 14k stainless steel submariner. Back to gray market dealers jomashop is a perfect example

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
Thank you lol 10-14k for a stainless watch, it literally costs 1400 to make, rest is advertising and hype ect? Dealers and makeup and freaking price gouging, no joke if it was 5-6k I’d say worth it, I bought a Daytona stainless 116520 for 8500 or 9000 like 10-12 years ago, I fucking hate the thing, I swear it’s small, it kinda looks cheap, I don’t wear it, but it keeps going up in value it’s worth like 21-22k I can’t believe it and these new reps come real close, what if I tell you the arf datejust felt almost better quality then my real datejust, especially the jubilee band. Personally I like vintage Tudor watches, I wear my omega speedmaster most of the time, which I love or I wear my bell and Ross 01-94 blue , or my Franken-big bang. Lol

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Oh you meant € value, I thought you meant 14k gold stainless steel :heehee:

I don't think a sub costs much more than €400 to make and that's being generous considering higher swiss salaries, machinery, number of employees etc. etc. Well to be fair; a submariner is only around €8k retail, market value is a whole different conversation.

Modern Daytona's are great. A 116520 is cool, I definitely don't think it looks cheap, if anything it looks more expensive/blingy than the modern 116500. At least if the condition is good and the polished areas are still shiny and not full of scratches. I'd definitely wear that way above any of the others you mention.