• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thoughts on this vintage 5512 Sub?

PepsiBezel

Horology Curious
3/6/19
United States
If anyone has the knowledge/expertise, would they mind offering any insights into this vintage 5512? (It looks like the Swiss T < 25 is missing which can be a huge red flag. Also it looks like there has been some sort of potential relume/improper restoration at some point in its life perhaps?)

Below is an album with a ton of images showcasing all views/markings on the watch as well as the folded link bracelet. The watch shows some natural signs of wear, but nothing too extreme overall.

From the meters first dial, it looks to be a late 60s model (67, 68, or 69). Also, it has a trip lock crown which is interesting and not period correct, so that may be a replacement/service crown.

The bracelet seems to have all of the correct engravings as well.

Thanks for reading.

Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/ilhHT48

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Genuine 1980's fat font service insert with genuine pearl, genuine 702 crown. Crystal looks to be a genuine T19 and the hands look genuine too.

Case and dial are low end aftermarket, though considering you have genuine hands you may have a genuine movement inside.

Reactions: Ecender

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Bracelet looks gen 9315 to me.

As for the case.. could have had a few bad polishes over the years.
Take the bracelet off and shoot a few pics of the serial and ref. no.

Dial is fake, not even a good one which makes the whole thing suspicious.

Reactions: Ecender

PepsiBezel

Horology Curious
3/6/19
United States
Thanks for the responses. My friend purchased it from someone who allegedly purchased it in the 60s and wore it for decades. My assumption is that he probably had a third party service it explaining the later trip lock crown, service insert, and terrible redial job. Perhaps the case is just very overpolished?

Either way, from what I understand, the redial job destroys the value, and it would be pretty costly to pick up a gen service dial (approx 3k) and overhaul the movement (approx 1k)

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
To me it looks fine, a little f‘d Up but fine except for the dial.

Open it up if you can and have a look what’s inside. The 702 crown ist def. gen too, same is the 9315.

But, with that dial i‘d be cautious.

Your best bet would either be a aftermarket gilt dial or as you‘ve already said, a service one.
If you pick a aftermarket gilt one you‘d have some sort of über Franken lol

I‘d check the bay and the fora from time to time to get a service dial too keep this piece all gen.