• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Would like my first (used) Genuine ROLEX to be special - suggestions appreciated!!

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Hello, I am planning on getting a genuine used Rolex for my collection, and I would like this to be special based upon a number of personal factors:

#1: THE YEAR. I would like the year of the manufacture of the watch to be significant in my life, but I'm not exactly clear on what exactly that is going to mean. Like for example, in 1990, I was young and struggling, no way I would be able to afford to get a Rolex back then. This would kind of be a way of "going back in time" and making that situation "right" (for lack of better words to say for what I'm trying to describe). Another would be to get a watch from the year of my birth. Another would be to get a watch from 1985, a particularly wonderful time in my life.

#2: THE CURRENT SITUATION. I would like the purchase of my first Rolex to be "connected" to some specific work-related accomplishment. I guess one could say that I already deserve to have a Rolex by virtue of the fact that I'm a workaholic, but that could be a cop-out I'm trying to tell myself.

#3: THE WATCH ITSELF. I already have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for. I know what I want, it's a certain model datejust. But AGAIN... I'm not clear on the above two points (the year of manufacture being a factor due to significance of year, and something needing to happen before the watch is purchased).

Please feel free to respond and add your own criteria (I am quite impressionable, and might just take it to heart).

Thank you all for your kind consideration.

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
I would recommend 16014 either silver or grey taperstry dial. Actually I'm saving up to buy gen DJ as well LOL.
PxsNp.jpg
PxMtb.jpg

Mmmmmm. Loooove those tapestry dials! But I love the "linen" dials even better......... beautiful watch by the way, low key enough to wear all the time if you want, but it still let's people know WHO YOU ARE...

Last edited:

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Gentlemen, let me ask you a question: what "magnitude of accomplishment" do you feel would warrant the purchase of a used Rolex for about $5,000? If you could provide me with some hypothetical examples, that would be just great...

Reactions: OmegaRules

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Honestly, I recently purchased a genuine Panerai. I didn't need anything more then I'm on the front lines risking myself as my reason to add it to my collection. Doesn't necessarily have to be a milestone, but a well earned reward. My Speedmaster professional was a 1999 which coincides with my college graduation. Not intentional, but worked out that way.

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
Gentlemen, let me ask you a question: what "magnitude of accomplishment" do you feel would warrant the purchase of a used Rolex for about $5,000? If you could provide me with some hypothetical examples, that would be just great...

My opinion if for yourself I would think it would be for a personal and hard earned or recognized accomplishment. Not just an excuse to yourself to splurge if you really can’t afford to do that. A birthday milestone like hitting 40,45,50 etc and just want to reward yourself, maybe you got that dream job you wanted or a nice bonus or promotion well above what you would have expected or relied on for family expenses etc. just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Hypothetical examples:

You’re a zookeeper, and you helped a giraffe give birth
You work at MacDonalds, and you just gobbed in your 5000th Big Mac
You’re an assassin, and you just garrotted a nun
You just invented some pants that render farts odourless
You are the leader of a cult, and just slept with your 5000th disciple

I could carry on, but my point is that without knowing anything whatsoever about your background, income or your job, hypothetical goal achievement examples are a bit, well, pointless - apart from for pointing out their pointlessness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: joes and phdsjain

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Looking from another perspective if it's a year where you made some really bad life choices or mistakes and wan't yourself to be reminded not to ever repeat those again get yourself one of those Filippo Loreti's.

That should do the job.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania

Got out of bed before 2:00 PM. Go nuts, buddy!

Reactions: p0pperini

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
My opinion if for yourself I would think it would be for a personal and hard earned or recognized accomplishment. Not just an excuse to yourself to splurge if you really can’t afford to do that. A birthday milestone like hitting 40,45,50 etc and just want to reward yourself, maybe you got that dream job you wanted or a nice bonus or promotion well above what you would have expected or relied on for family expenses etc. just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are exactly the type of ideas I am looking for! Thanks!!

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
Glad to have given you something to think about. Coincidentally I just received my first Rolex gen this week and got it through a trade deal. It’s a vintage 1958 model 6564 and although i have had reps and still have a very nice BK sub 116610 that I enjoy it’s something special to have a genuine Rolex for sure, old or not.

0a8f55ca41d90c0c4443ecce6768ac00.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
e80762599aa9b372b6f057fddc499184.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger1166