• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Gens are worth the financial investment? (From a dollar value perspective)

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Besides the obvious Pepsi, Batman, Daytona, 5711 etc.. if purchased at list-price.

Are there any gens that are 'easily' purchased at list, that also keep their value close to what is on the sticker if you decide to sell it within later without necessarily considering it as 'an investment piece'.

I know that in the past all PM Rolexes could be purchased with fat discounts from AD's, but I'm guessing for certain models that's not the case any longer?

Would buying a 126715CHNR be taking a big gamble on whether or not that money stays safe? Care to share any interesting pieces one could consider to purchase?

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Most sporty SS models from R factory are an instant win if you can get one at list price and re-sell it immediately. You'll surely get a discount if you're a $100k+ customer at that jeweller. As first time buyer, probably not...

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Most sporty SS models from R factory are an instant win if you can get one at list price and re-sell it immediately. You'll surely get a discount if you're a $100k+ customer at that jeweller. As first time buyer, probably not...

Just to be clear: I'm not looking to resell, I'm looking to wear and enjoy but with the security of knowing that I haven't just spent a large amount of money with an immediate loss on the second-hand market. Which is why I'm not looking at Omega's etc. I could never get myself to pay $6k list on an Omega, well-knowing that if I would immediately sell it, I wouldn't get more than maybe 3,5-4k back (depending on model).

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
Stainless steel sports Rolexes bought at list price will, in the current market climate, hold their value. If trends continue the way they have (they may, they may not) then that's that.

Getting one at list price without already being an established customer - it can happen. The whims of smaller ADs where the person in the shop is the owner can be peculiar, I know of someone evading a wait list in England when something arrived in store as the proprietor was having some sort of issue and he decided to offer a rather sought after stainless sports Rolex to the person in the shop this particular day, but that's a one off. A moment of madness, but hey - his waiting list customers will never know, and they'll remain on the waiting list, won't they?

Want to buy stainless steel sports model Rolexes at list price without being an established customer? Expect to pay list for your sports model, and also pay list for a couple of other non-sports, non-stainless models (at which point the AD may elect to regard you as an established customer, or be happy to shift inventory allocation, either/or) to get the deal done.

Last edited:

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
What follows is my observation, I recommend research the heck out of this if you are looking to buy :). Holy trinity watches generally, SS sport versions of Rolex (Sub or Deep Sea), Audemars Piguet (Royal Oak), Patek Phillipe (Nautilus) and Vacheron Constantin specifically. Some Panerai models, like the Bronzo and original Carbotech, also hold value but it is for a niche buyer, Panerai in general lives up to the Submersible name LOL. Breitling and IWC are currently on the decline with some of their product lines, but the Portugieser keeps it's value well. There's a chap on Youtube that runs a respected show, Federico Talks Watches. He did a great talk on exactly this topic, as well as brands that lose value. A Blog to Watch also deals with this topic extensively.

Last edited: