• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Did i buy a GEN Hulk?

Speedhulk

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/4/20
Hi there,

i need a little help from the pros. I bought a Sub Hulk today from a craigslist dealer. This was some kind of shady backdoor deal, since we weren’t allowed to properly sit down due to corona regulations.

Well as you might suspect, i paid a lot of money for this watch. I usually know my stuff when it comes to highend submariner reps, however i just realized that the ZZF V2S replica seems to be kinda decent and i never came across one of these. Could any of u guys please ease my mind and tell me, that this is a gen hulk? The watch came with papers from a war zone country which doesn’t make things easier...

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Going to four on a limb and say gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Don’t worry it’s a gen watch. The ZZF is good but not that good!

Reactions: Mike116

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Relax, this is not ZZF.
This is post-2015 gen watch.

Speedhulk

Banned
28/4/20
Thx guys, highly appreciated! If i may ask, what are the tells of the ZZF? I studied the ZZF/GEN comparison thread over here which gave me a hard time to find any tells. Except maybe for the shape of the crown guards..

deejayelve

Horology Curious
14/3/20
it looks like a GEN. the edges on the triangle marker at 12 o‘clock on the reps is much sharper.

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
DW looks good, rehaut looks good, hands look nice, dial markers and lume look right,

What did you pay and why would you even risk it if you can't take a good look at it lol. Seems to be okay though mate!

Speedhulk

Banned
28/4/20
I paid the usual market price for this watch, in fact even a little more than someone else would pay under the given circumstances. But my method of payment was unusual, so the level of shadiness was expected.

i was given like 5 minutes to inspect this watch with a 5x loupe before i had to pull the trigger.

best of all, we literally made the deal on a park bench
no risk, no fun

nuvolablue01

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/15
That's why I love these rep forums.

Imagine if Op had posted pics of a ZZF V2 Rep on another mainstream watch forum, and asked the same questions?
I doubt they'd even know what a ZZF V2S was, let alone what the flaws look like.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that some of them would be so naive to say the Rep was a Gen.

As I'm moving away from Reps and more into Gen watches nowadays, it's comforting to know I have that core knowledge about calling out reps and that there are some really knowledgeable horologists on these forums to provide guidance on these matters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Speedhulk

Banned
28/4/20
That's why I love these rep forums.

Imagine if Op had posted pics of a ZZF V2 Rep on another mainstream watch forum, and asked the same questions?
I doubt they'd even know what a ZZF V2S was, let alone what the flaws look like.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that some of them would be so naive to say the Rep was a Gen.

As I'm moving away from Reps and more into Gen watches nowadays, it's comforting to know I have that core knowledge about calling out reps and that there are some really knowledgeable horologists on these forums to provide guidance on these matters.

precisely, if I’d have asked this question on TRF all I’d get as a response would be „buy the seller“. Most people don’t realize how close to gen the superclones have become.

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
It’s gen but I would check it does not appear on the stolen register.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike116

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
You know those people that bid on eBay fakes and you think, wonder who these people are? Lol.

Sorry man but how do you part with that sort of money without being SURE.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

thinker1

26/11/17
100% Gen. case and dial is biggest tell and both are perfect in this example. Wear with pride.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
precisely, if I’d have asked this question on TRF all I’d get as a response would be „buy the seller“.

And you would then afterwards have to thank them for the good advice. :rolleyes: