• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When do you buy rep instead of gen ?

Orlinski

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Some reps achieved rather good level of quality, so except if one is obsessed collector investing into real stuff, to most of us it seems like no real sense in purchasing gens at price 20-100x over rather well executed rep.
I have half of gens and half of reps in my humble collection of 12 time pieces.
All gens are watches I truly appreciate for their originality and uniqueness and neither of them was replicated in more-less acceptable way, if at all.
All reps are watches I generally appreciate, but reps are of very acceptable quality, externally indistinguishable without truly focused look.
In the end no real difference in wearing 30k gen vs 500$ rep, as long as, rep pleases my eyes aesthetically.
Furthermore, reps provide certain comfort of wearing them with no (big) risk to lose/damage the watch.
So, both are equally useful timepieces.
Of course, gens that are not available on rep markets provide a bit special feeling of 'really unique stuff' for special occasions from time to time.
Actually because of reps I bought more gens than I would do otherwise.
Reps increased awareness and appreciation to good stuff in my case and enjoying both reps and gens, without praising ones over others seems like happy balance.
Also, I definitely started to appreciate smaller brands and less known watchmakers over several dominating names.

BaraaM

8/8/17
World of tic tac
Totally agree with you,
Good quality reps give me the impulsion to appreciate and buy unique gen watchs.
Same about small brands.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I feel lucky enough to have 5 gens and 6 reps. I have carefully collected the current reps as i can in no way afford the gen versions. I read about people being robbed by gangs who seek out high end watches. At least there is some comfort losing a rep rather than a gen. I think in most cases you just have to be careful where you wear them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: P..DR..D

FourthLetter

14/5/18
I’ll keep buying reps until I can afford a gen 5711 and a gen DD40.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I have a lot of both gens and reps. I also work on watches. So there is a fun challenge in searching for gen parts or taking reps from two different factories and making the best version. None of that is achievable with gens. Once they are gen there’s nothing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Orlinski

Modding reps is another cools aspect one would never attempt with gens.
Some reps could be upgrade toward closing gaps with gens and another aspect is to make your unique rep's single limited edition.
Some reps are truly getting better.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Let me take a stab.... when you can't afford it! :D At least, that's it for me....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Bighodgie

Bighodgie

Horology Curious
3/2/20
Scotland
I have just bought a GMT Batman as I cant afford to pay 15k for a genuine one..I must say these reps have come along way plus they are not cheap. It also becomes an addiction as I want more now...:D

dashing

Dashing Around
Supporter
20/5/18
Metroville
Wait list. The thought of putting in effort to be in good relations with the salesperson puts me off. They should be the ones to do that for the commission, not the other way around. Perhaps that's due to that 1 bad experience at the AD when the salesperson laughed at my request in a mocking manner when I asked about the Rolex Daytona while at the counter paying for another gen. Some TD have way better service, TBH.

For models that caught my attention and without wait lists, I've them in gen ;)

Bighodgie

Horology Curious
3/2/20
Scotland
Wait list. The thought of putting in effort to be in good relations with the salesperson puts me off. They should be the ones to do that for the commission, not the other way around. Perhaps that's due to that 1 bad experience at the AD when the salesperson laughed at my request in a mocking manner when I asked about the Rolex Daytona while at the counter paying for another gen. Some TD have way better service, TBH.

For models that caught my attention and without wait lists, I've them in gen ;)

You must of had a bad experience, as the sales staff couldn't be anymore helpful when iv bought gen watches..fact they even offer me drinks and not just tea or coffee..BEER in a bottle.
I will say one thing though I did go to Watches of Switzerland to buy a watch, when I went in I spent 10-15 minutes in there and not 1 person acknowledged me. I decided to leave and just said they have lost a sale on one if there Omagas and they just stood and looked at me.
Never again will I go into one of these shops.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Reps are a great solution when you just want a certain model, but not bad enough to spend gen money. I ordered five reps this year for roughly 1700 USD that would have cost me far over 35k as gens. They're close enough to gen quality wise and I think it's great value for the money. Also makes me worry less about wearing that watch for outdoor activities where they might take a hit...

Reactions: P..DR..D

dashing

Dashing Around
Supporter
20/5/18
Metroville
You must of had a bad experience, as the sales staff couldn't be anymore helpful when iv bought gen watches..fact they even offer me drinks and not just tea or coffee..BEER in a bottle.
I will say one thing though I did go to Watches of Switzerland to buy a watch, when I went in I spent 10-15 minutes in there and not 1 person acknowledged me. I decided to leave and just said they have lost a sale on one if there Omagas and they just stood and looked at me.
Never again will I go into one of these shops.

Hmm, now that you mentioned Watches of Switzerland, I'm reminded of a bad experience there as well when I was looking up a Nomos Orion. Guess customer service isn't their priority :confused:

Orlinski

My rep was recently stolen during travel. Actual one I liked very much, as I did few mods by combining two reps (one died quite fast and I was using their different exterior materials to make one I like) into new rep of non-existing gen, which looked better than any of previous reps/gens. I was very proud to new design that is unobtaniable in gen or rep world and even got several compliments from brand lovers who didn't realize that the watch was rep. Still, the loss of 600$ vs 45k on particular watch justified purchase and joy. I'll not buy replacement rep of stolen watch (requires two reps to make one), as now it would not be one of kind. I hope the new owner will not be very disappointed after he realizes the truth. Good side of having reps.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Good points all around. I started in the rep world after having passed on a few Rolexes over the years for what I now realize were absolutely absurd reasons. Later I bought a few different reps of models that I liked and it made me realize that I wanted the genuine watches. Reps also helped me rule out some, too. For example, the Pams looked so nice in pics and I really wanted to like them but they just don't work for me once on the wrist and wearing around.

I had always really liked the Explorer and I came close to buying one several times over the years between 2002 and 2010. Finally, last year I rewarded myself with the Gen OP36 with the blue Explorer dial. I got it below MSRP and in mint condition and with all boxes and tags, papers, etc. It has a nicer movement, it has the nice bracelet and clasp design, my AD got me an EZLink for it, the blue sunburst dial is gorgeous in the sun, and the numbers are lumed. It's a much better watch than the Explorers I was looking all those years ago. Honestly, if I had bought one of those I probably wouldn't have bought this one. Wearing the rep for years helped me realize that I loved the style and fit, and this is a nice upgrade from that.

I also love vintage watches but those prices are now so far and away outside of what I would be willing to spend, and/or would feel comfortable wearing, so I can really see the benefits of building gen parts Franken pieces for personal use and enjoyment. Not to try to sell to anyone, but just to own and appreciate for myself, knowing that I sourced the parts myself and worked together with guys here on the boards to create this beautiful vintage piece. My grails are the big crown subs from the '50s and the 6542 GMT Master. These are pretty much unobtainable now.

Here's a pic of my OP36. I think for me it makes sense to have genuine modern pieces but carefully craft gen/Franken vintage pieces. I would eventually like a gen vintage birth year red 1680 sub though.
22d2b90c4d56d338ea57d514cce730ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rsx1988

18/5/20
It's nearly impossible to try Rolex watches form the professional line. Usually getting rep while waiting on the list or paying market price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrooperII

Horology Curious
9/1/22
When the supply of what I want is restricted to shore up demand and I don't want to pay 5K over retail for one. Then there's the AD that, during an appointment suggested I should buy a model I didn't want that they had in stock (read "Date just") to essentially ingratiate myself with the dealer in order to get on the sub list. They're not all like that I don't think but that experience was quite off-putting.

MaltMan

10/1/17
I liked to consider a rep to "try" it on the wrist (look and feel) for a couple of months before I finally went to the AD and spent the money.
I also considered particular reps when decent reps were available but the gen were not (discontinued, crazy waiting list etc.).
For a period of time I considered reps when proper reprs were avaialable but gen was, with regard of price, out of reach.