• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hi everyone, please help with Rolex watch, real or fake.

bigjasa

Looking Around
21/4/09
I've got this watch from my dad. My dad insisted it is a real one.

I've been searching all over the internet but I couldn't find one like mind.

Hope you guys have some time to look at the watch for me.

Thank you so much.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Did you have the gold tested? Is the watch 18K? Looks like an older model President w/ diamonds, but hard to tell if real by your pics alone ....

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The easiest way to tell would just be by holding it and assessing the weight. That model would be a full gold case and bracelet and would be considerably heavier than any other watch you've ever held.

If you see any parts of the bracelet that have the gold plating worn through, that would indicate it's a rep.

Why would your father have and give away a $20,000 Rolex that you didn't even know about? And, most people would have kept the box and papers on something that valuable.

My guess is that it's a fake, based on almost all gold Rolexes come from the factory with a champagne date wheel, while that one's white. Also the gold color doesn't look near right, but that could be your camera.

Did you have the gold tested? Is the watch 18K? Looks like an older model President w/ diamonds, but hard to tell if real by your pics alone ....

Older models would have lug holes and President models were all DayDates. But that has the newer style bracelet.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Haven't seen these end links...From the backside all the gens with this bracelet are different..
Probably rep..
When you adjust the hour clockwise, is the time swapping with the same way??

bigjasa

Looking Around
21/4/09
Thank you guys. I may need to take it to a shop. I suspect it can be a modified Rolex

giobo, yes, it's swapping in the same way.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Or, just open the case back and post a picture. Then we'll all know in an instant.

Roll up a piece of duct tape into a ball with sticky side out and with a little twisting and pressure it should open. Particularly if it's a rep.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
It looks nice, but no way to tell from those pics. Weight will be a good tell, and a movement shot will be definitive.

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
I'm saying rep.

- The datewheel numbers aren't aligned.
- It looks pretty well worn from the front but the rear still has the green sticker on it(?)
- The crown has a bar which is only for SS models - an all gold model with twinlock crown should have two dots (IIRC).

Get a sticky ball or some duct tape and get the back off, and get it on some digital scales!

That said, end links look snug to the case and the screws in the removable bracelet links are nicely flush to the bracelet edge...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
That said, end links look snug to the case and the screws in the removable bracelet links are nicely flush to the bracelet edge...
Good point, I missed that. They do look very good don't they?

Weigh it. We will know for sure then.

CoolRob

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/10
There so many version of the watch to find information about it. I got an Air-King from Dad and could not find the exact match on the net. I have to open the case back to find out. I hope your would be a gen.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
You can tell it's not a Rolex movement just by looking at the position of the date wheel and cyclops.

Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
That thing is fake all the way.....You are not at the rolex forums where you post an out of focus and ask for opinions on rep or fake hoping you can pass that POS as real....that is fake all the way

The date wheel is in the wrong place, so is the cyclops
The DJ usually does not come in a full gold and with presidential bracelet...
That looks like a cheap replica from silix

Replica Replica

18/7/10
You need a magnifing glass, on the surface of the crystal you will find the mnaufacturers hallmark, it is etched onto the surface in microns of size and is invisible to the naked eye.

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
Do you mean the crown etching at 6?

That can be seen with the naked eye if you hold it at the right angle. I believe that's only a recent anti-counterfeiting process so may not be on an older watch.

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
Do you mean the crown etching at 6?

That can be seen with the naked eye if you hold it at the right angle. I believe that's only a recent anti-counterfeiting process so may not be on an older watch.

Either way that is also replicated... I have it on my BK DSSD.

SubDude

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/11/11
It is definitely a fake. The date is in the position of a non-Rolex movement. The date on a gen Rolex movement is farther left of the centerline between the 2 and the 4.

Dave

RevLo317

Horology Curious
30/6/12
Get a strong magnet, a very slight pull tells you it is steel plated with gold.