• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To wear or not to wear

livingfire835

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/16
So having collected a bunch of reps in the past, over the past two years I've been buying some really solid gen pieces, including some Tudors, breitlings and the amazing speedy. Honestly, I could stare at these pieces for hours, but I've started to get a little bit anxious about actually wearing them on a daily basis. I know that some of the pieces I have are durable and should be considered daily drivers, but for the life of me I don't want to ding or scratch them up at all. Anyone else feel this way? I've gotten to a point where I'd rather wear a rep rather than my gen pieces...maybe its time for me to let go of the reps.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
maybe it's time for you to let go of the gens ;)

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
If you're afraid to wear the genuine pieces why would you keep more than one maybe two. Where are the reps beat them up enjoy them, save the genuine for special occasions. I can't see any logical reason why you would get rid of the replica watches you're not afraid to wear and you enjoy.

emzeeka

3/6/19
I understand your struggle, i got a seamaster gen but im very afraid of it to get scratched... currently not in love with my rep so that is collecting dust.

Last edited:

livingfire835

5/4/16
lol y'all do make decent points. I may just need to reduce the amount of reps I have so I can at least wear the gens on a reasonable basis. Emzeeka, what did help me with my SMP is using a NATO....for some reason reducing wear on that particular bracelet made it easier to wear that one

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Collection anxiety it seems... Hypno therapy will do the trick! :D Yeah, see your point - I too have a few gens which I can safely class as shelf queens.... having said that, save them for what? Prosperity and the next generation? Just wear them, and if the reps burn your conscience, pass them on for the next owner's enjoyment.... life is too short to waste time worrying about time, so to speak :p

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: mbasel and Tompa

Day13

25/7/18
UK
I was the same, found myself wearing my reps more often than gens after a while.

livingfire835

5/4/16
I've started doing a cycle of watches, so wearing a rep every other day and a gen on the alternates...seems to be working well, and I'm starting to re-appreciate the collection

polyvinyl12

Horology Curious
25/2/16
The part that gets beat the most on my gens is the bracelet & clasp. So I put reps on.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
So having collected a bunch of reps in the past, over the past two years I've been buying some really solid gen pieces, including some Tudors, breitlings and the amazing speedy. Honestly, I could stare at these pieces for hours, but I've started to get a little bit anxious about actually wearing them on a daily basis. I know that some of the pieces I have are durable and should be considered daily drivers, but for the life of me I don't want to ding or scratch them up at all. Anyone else feel this way? I've gotten to a point where I'd rather wear a rep rather than my gen pieces...maybe its time for me to let go of the reps.

Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed - they should be part of your life and will give you no satisfaction sat in a watch box or safe. Unless you’ve bought an heirloom of extreme historical or monetary value - why worry - it’s your watch - wear and enjoy them - I baby my reps the same as I do gens.... for about a week before I relax and start enjoying them for what they are, a well crafted mechanical tool meant to be used. Wear them and don’t sweat giving them a bit of character :)

Reactions: livingfire835

livingfire835

5/4/16
Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed - they should be part of your life and will give you no satisfaction sat in a watch box or safe. Unless you’ve bought an heirloom of extreme historical or monetary value - why worry - it’s your watch - wear and enjoy them - I baby my reps the same as I do gens.... for about a week before I relax and start enjoying them for what they are, a well crafted mechanical tool meant to be used. Wear them and don’t sweat giving them a bit of character :)

Very well stated!

Sent from the RWI mobile app

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Hmm I have reps and Gen, all of them are my beaters except for the gen 15400 RG that I used for my wedding, still fresh. 3 months old. It's the only GEN I have that I will baby.
Tool watch like Subs should be used as they meant to be. in the older days, as my father told me it add's more value in the watch, adds more history, but now he's saying that the people nowadays cry so much once they see a hairline of scratch which is normal in the old days.

Last edited: