• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fire damaged omega seamaster - partial resto

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I did reach out to him but havent heard back. I'll give it a few days. Like I said, I'm still not 100% on if I really want to let it go, kind of a last resort type of thing.

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
So, good news and a little bit bad news.. the good news is the project will continue, Bad news is I sold the bracelet to fund it. However I the parts should be on the way by this weekend.

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Yeah I'm going to use a gen. I have the original 1120, I just cant do much with it without gutting another 2892

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I cant wait to get this thing all together. Parts are on the way!!!

Last edited:

tsyeo4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
Mattjames84 Is mostly carbon. Thus you might want to try using those car engine carbon cleaner and soak it to dessolve the carbon first.

this might help dessolve the soot.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362847041626

As car engine have soot built up in the carberator and pistons. And car engine piston is mostly ss as well.

once the soot is dessolved you have a easier work around with whatever remains. Then you can work around with the gunk like polymer (i am going to assume it as plastic, if it is rubber let me know as well).

Plastic have many types, thus you need to use specific solvent to dessolve the plastic. Common types are ABS, LDPE, HDPE, PC, PMP, PP, PS and PTFE. Each have their own specific solvent. I will upload a table of all the common types of solvent for plastics.

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Still waiting for the parts, getting antsi.. this sucks I hate waiting... lol

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Got the parts today.. dont have a crystal press yet so the crystal isnt all the way in... anyway here what iv got

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I have a nicer bezel but figured this one fits the look of the watch

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Looks good mate, might even have to bake that insert a little to help it play the part!

estbren

Horology Curious
6/2/20
Michigan
Wow, excellent work. I was not expecting it to come anywhere near where you got it. Nice story behind the piece now - hopefully everyone was OK from the fire.

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Definitely recommend baking the insert slightly if it didn't cost you a lot. A good option would be to go all out and get a used dial, hands and date disc (I have seen a set with genuine crown as well sell for 160$ on eBay).

Brunswick

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/19
Still making progress on the bracelet, but heres a glance of how it's pretty much gonna look and the why I'm gonna wear it, atleast while I have it. Just picture it with a bezel and insert. I think it's pretty awesome

I don't suppose Omega will honor a James Bond Warranty? Full restoration after James Bond-esque destruction?