• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fire damaged omega seamaster - partial resto

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Well I plan to rebuild the gen movement, all the plates and bridges are still good

mrnoahj

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
21/7/14
Conus
Wow, really neat! Good luck making this all work, perchance, the original owner may like to recapture once completed. Awfully neat if it worked like that!

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Well Dusk was the owner of it. Sad the tragity that happened to his families house which was how it wound up the way it was. He may want ot back, and if he does I'd gladly work something out with him.

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Yeah, soda blasting might have worked but iv plenty of time on my hands and the things I'm doing seems to be working nicely, I am by no means a pro at any of this. Just trying to revive a watch so it doesn't get parted out and get some enjoyment out of it, plus with all the paperwork with it what more can you ask for?

Reactions: Raddave

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Mattjames84 Afair the melted thing is nylon suitcase - are you considering a bath in a mix of hydrochloric acid and acetone? Or even start with the acetone only. Not sure what this suitcase was made of, but I would have tried to dissolve it before any mechanical cleaning.

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Ok so this is just awesome

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I tried acetone, that didnt do anything, I tried boiling it also, that didnt do anything either.. didnt try hydrochloric acid. I thought th at was for dissolving metal? I dont think I'd be comfortable using that unless iv used it before, which I havent

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I probably be snowed in for a bit, so I should have the bracelet looking decent in the next couple days

Reactions: watchlover128

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Oh I forgot to mention I need to find a crystal, any good aftermarket ones?

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
actually there is a better way , take it to a shop that does metal working , have it blasted with dry ice

that's actually very interesting and a perfect solution as it's non abrasive. Might be hard to find a shop that uses dry ice.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
that's actually very interesting and a perfect solution as it's non abrasive. Might be hard to find a shop that uses dry ice.

not really . any shops that do injection molding mold repair should have access to them , ive worked in plastics for the past 25 years , you can get degraded plastics offf a mirror finish and not damage the finish with dry ice

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
not really . any shops that do injection molding mold repair should have access to them , ive worked in plastics for the past 25 years , you can get degraded plastics offf a mirror finish and not damage the finish with dry ice

That makes more sense, I was thinking your old school CNC machine shops that work with aluminum and such, they have hard times doing a tumble finish/ time saver finish sometimes lol

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
That makes more sense, I was thinking your old school CNC machine shops that work with aluminum and such, they have hard times doing a tumble finish/ time saver finish sometimes lol

well with the dry ice temps , it crystalizes the plastics , and it just flakes off , with the CO2 pressure

Reactions: sn95

Nikosaldente

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/6/16
I tried acetone, that didnt do anything, I tried boiling it also, that didnt do anything either.. didnt try hydrochloric acid. I thought th at was for dissolving metal? I dont think I'd be comfortable using that unless iv used it before, which I havent

DON'T USE Hydrochloric Acid!
It will corrode the Metal Parts!

You may use Nitro Thinner or White Spirit!
Both will dissolve the Nylon parts without harming the Stainless Steel Bracelet!
Try white spirit first!

Great job so far!

I look forward to seeing your update!

Cheers!