• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Prince Oysterdate Gen Movement??

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hi all,
I've just purchased a Vintage Tudor Prince Oysterdate ( I paid about $500US for it) and I have some questions that i'm sure that some of you that are more experienced than me may be able to enlighten me with??

I believe this to be an early 1960's model. Ref 7966 (as engraved in case back) Cal. 2462.

I have not found many to have '25 Jewels' written on the dial but I have seen one or two.

The plexi does not have a Cyclops is this because its a replacement and probably not gen??

The movement auto rotor has no Tudor engravings on it, does this suggest a replaced non genuine rotor at some point?

The movement itself looks to be gen can anyone confirm this for me please?

What does the lV59 stand for (engraved in caseback)?

The dial looks like it hasn't been touched?? The crown has a sharp pin head size of metal on the end of one of the teeth (too small with my crappy phone camera to catch) but surely a watch of this age should have a well worn crown by now, so not sure if it's gen??

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Hi,

The movement is probably not a gen Tudor 2462. I recently serviced and sold one. This one does not have the correct finish, markings, and the rotor is not correct.

Can you post higher resolution pics of the dial? It looks a bit suspect but it might be the fuzziness when zooming in.

Maybe a pic of the crown?

Case back is probably fine. I look for the “jaunty” I’s in ORIGINAL. They should have a slight swoosh to them.

Internal stamping IV 59 means fourth quarter of 1959. Period correct to the reference. That’s good.

Reactions: Jackster

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hi,

The movement is probably not a gen Tudor 2462. I recently serviced and sold one. This one does not have the correct finish, markings, and the rotor is not correct.

Can you post higher resolution pics of the dial? It looks a bit suspect but it might be the fuzziness when zooming in.

Maybe a pic of the crown?

Case back is probably fine. I look for the “jaunty” I’s in ORIGINAL. They should have a slight swoosh to them.

Internal stamping IV 59 means fourth quarter of 1959. Period correct to the reference. That’s good.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, if it's not gen could it still be Swiss Made? I need to get a camera!!!!!

Under a magnifying glass I can see that the metal on the crown appears to be the top of a small pin inserted into the crown??? Maybe a terrible attempt at a crown repair??

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
The movement is Swiss. I don’t know of any replica or fake ETA 2462 movements. That’s a long ago and not particularly in high demand movement. Think how popular the rep movements are (2824, 2836, 7750, etc) and even other vintage movements (1570, etc).
Strange repair to the crown. Wonder what’s up with that.

Reactions: rabl253