• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Prince Oysterdate Gen Check

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
Hey guys, hope this is the right section for such a topic, if not apologies.

Just bought this watch off eBay and was hoping it was genuine? (I realise now I should have queried it before buying, but I ain't the smartest!) If it turns out to be fake I can just return so not a big deal.

Pictures:

It's meant to be a 74033. Seller claims that it's all original & 100% authentic (except strap/buckle). I guess my concerns are just that I have only seen a few with that dial pattern & diamonds which claim to be authentic (whereas I see dials like this for sale on rafflesdials). I am a noob who can't tell anything from a movement pic either, but if anybody could potentially save this noob from being scammed that'd be greatly appreciated! Still hoping it's gen though.

Thanks a lot

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
That movement pearlage doesn't match up with the examples I pulled from the web, and I haven't seen Tudor engrave a rotor like that. The dial looks like someone took a Tudor linen dial and added diamonds. The date is left justified and every two tone I've seen has a champagne date wheel. Here's a few pictures I pulled on that model. Can you post the engravings between the lugs?

Reactions: Camblin

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
That movement pearlage doesn't match up with the examples I pulled from the web, and I haven't seen Tudor engrave a rotor like that. The dial looks like someone took a Tudor linen dial and added diamonds. The date is left justified and every two tone I've seen has a champagne date wheel. Here's a few pictures I pulled on that model. Can you post the engravings between the lugs?

VFsXNU.jpg
VFsOUF.md.jpg
VFst4r.md.jpg

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply & help! I do not currently have a picture of the engravings between the lugs but will contact seller to ask for it. Do you think there are any other angles/part of watch which it'd help to have a photo of?

The seller has very high positive reviews like 98% after many hundreds of sales, has other watches for sale which look gen, and I scoured like 5+ TD sites and couldn't find a rep of this watch so I thought those were good signs. The caseback & dial looks a lot like ones available on rafflesdials (but those could be quite accurate to gen idk). But then such bezel & rotor does not look like or available on that site. So I am unsure what to think...

I will request that photo & more info from seller, and ask that they can delay sending it until I better verify if it is genuine.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
My gut feeling is this is a genuine case with a blinged Genuine dial (notice the lume plots how they are on top of printed indices vs the one I pulled from the web) the movement and date wheel are probably not genuine (it's an ETA, but not one from a Tudor), and they took a Tudor rotor and installed it on there. Basically a franken piece. How much are you buying it for? Personally I'd pass.

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
My gut feeling is this is a genuine case with a blinged Genuine dial (notice the lume plots how they are on top of printed indices vs the one I pulled from the web) the movement and date wheel are probably not genuine (it's an ETA, but not one from a Tudor), and they took a Tudor rotor and installed it on there. Basically a franken piece. How much are you buying it for? Personally I'd pass.

Your conclusion makes a lot of sense. I am doubting this watch now. It cost me £700, lowest I've seen one but I have seen a few below £800 before, but normally above £900 or a little over £1000. Maybe the price was just a little too good to be true and maybe I was just a little too impulsive.

I've written to the seller asking if he has had it verified or knows it's history or anything, and to wait until I can verify it before posting. Also posted these photos in a few other places so will see what comes of that.

Thanks a lot for help.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Truthfully the datewheel and movement I could live with at that price...the date wheel can be swapped easily enough, but the dial is what drives me to say pass. lmk what you hear from the seller.

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
To my eyes the dial looks the same as one of the $29 ones from rafflesdials:
The rafflesdials caseback looks very similar too imo:

I've only seen a couple sell which had both a textured & diamond dial. And not even sure if those were gen. Vast majority seem not to have it.
Similarly vast majority of casebacks I see for this model seem to have Rolex or Rolex coronet logo on it instead of Tudor.

Very possibly some sort of franken indeed...

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
Truthfully the datewheel and movement I could live with at that price...the date wheel can be swapped easily enough, but the dial is what drives me to say pass. lmk what you hear from the seller.

I asked on a few other forums and got a bunch of replies. Seemed very mixed. Some people thought it was genuine, while others thought a few parts were suspicious.

The seller avoided elaborating on if he'd had it authenticated or on any history of the watch, and he also refused lug shots because "i'd have to remove the leather strap to do that". Which is either incredibly lazy or suspicious.

Just decided to be better safe than sorry and cancel the purchase. I definitely hope to buy a two tone prince date or franken datejust at some point though, one of my grail watches!

Thanks a lot for your help and interest!

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Also, it's supposed to have a champagne date disc with serif tudor font. That 18 doesn't look like tudor font

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I asked on a few other forums and got a bunch of replies. Seemed very mixed. Some people thought it was genuine, while others thought a few parts were suspicious.

The seller avoided elaborating on if he'd had it authenticated or on any history of the watch, and he also refused lug shots because "i'd have to remove the leather strap to do that". Which is either incredibly lazy or suspicious.

Just decided to be better safe than sorry and cancel the purchase. I definitely hope to buy a two tone prince date or franken datejust at some point though, one of my grail watches!

Thanks a lot for your help and interest!

Icing on the cake. The refusal to at least show what's available to see with the strap installed is enough confirmation for me. The engravings are partially visible. Glad you moved on and cancelled the sale.

kzaman

17/12/15
I like these tudors but think they look better with less bling. I'd suggest a two tone linen dial if you like gold.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Yes I agree with the other posters seems a bit suspicious, movement is def not original to this watch.

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
I agree kzaman, they look better without the diamonds IMO and I think that dial is not original anyway.

I have no idea whether the seller knew or not that the watch was likely not fully original, but I reported it to eBay and it got taken down really quickly. I really like reps & frankens but not when people are scammed or sold misrepresented items.

Thanks for your comments & help guys!

Reactions: kzaman

JL91

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
20/5/19
Birmingham, UK
Would concur about a mixed picture going on here - seems to be a non-original dial to me. I've been on the receiving end of stuff like this before, and more often than not the sellers with good feedback just had no idea it was not original.

Luckily you're protected by the Money Back Guarantee but would strongly urge you to do it through PayPal (even with the shipping back fees) as eBay are prone to banning users who return high risk items... happened to me, before you ask ;)