Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Seiko SARB033 vs. rep. Rolex Explorer 1 (214270)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Seiko SARB033 vs. rep. Rolex Explorer 1 (214270)

    Hi all,

    I can't pull the trigger on making the decision between buying a gen Seiko SARB033 or the Rolex Explorer 1 (214270) from BP. Both watches are great IMO. Looking at the style of both watches, they score identical to me. The date window on the SARB is a nice add-on but the clean symmetrical and slightly sporty look of the 214270 is also looking very nice. Branding wise, I don’t have a preference since I can tell from experience (of owning a rep. submariner) that the Rolex brand is receiving as much love, as hate in my environment. Pricing is within the same range for both. Looking at the movements, I would say that the accuracy of the 6R15 and A2824 movement are within the same range.

    After reading many reviews, I conclude that the con of the SARB033 is the bracelet. The factory bracelet is alright, but not as great as the 214270. There's an ugly gap around the clasp and limited adjustments on the bracelet. But this can be resolved by buying another type of bracelet. The advantage is of course the fact that it is a gen watch, reliable and easy to service.

    The rep 214270 from BP on the other hand, is a great rep as far as I have seen. The oyster bracelet is definitely an advantage in terms of comfort and adjust ability. However it is and remains a rep, with a questionable long term reliability.

    How do I make the call? Has someone seen both watches or can provide me some guidance?




    #2
    The problem with this hobby is that whatever choice you make you will still desire the other as well.

    Comment


      #3
      I agree with your assessment on the bracelet. As an avid seiko owner, I have to say that their bracelets are what makes me look at reps (and then get the reps more often these days).
      The 33 is good if you like black. The crystal will not blow you away but it sufficiently done. An easy mod too if you are inclined.

      The bracket, ooof. If you want steel, then I’d avoid. I put all of my seiko in Ziczac straps.
      As for reliability... I mean the seiko is rock solid but how much more than an a2824, I don’t know. If you are worried I think there are a few option for 2824 that have more lineage.
      Last edited by Ams55557; 09-06-19, 22:03.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by beau7816 View Post
        The problem with this hobby is that whatever choice you make you will still desire the other as well.
        That is indeed what I am afraid of . Luckily both watches are affordable so buying both could be an option in the end.


        Originally posted by Ams55557 View Post
        I agree with your assessment on the bracelet. As an avid seiko owner, I have to say that their bracelets are what makes me look at reps (and then get the reps more often these days).
        The 33 is good if you like black. The crystal will not blow you away but it sufficiently done. An easy mod too if you are inclined.

        The bracket, ooof. If you want steel, then I’d avoid. I put all of my seiko in Ziczac straps.
        As for reliability... I mean the seiko is rock solid but how much more than an a2824, I don’t know. If you are worried I think there are a few option for 2824 that have more lineage.
        Thanks for the confirmation on the bracelet and good to know about the crystal. Putting a slightly domed sapphire crystal with blue AR coating definitely looks great.

        The SARB looks great on many different straps (leather, perlon, sail cloth,etc.).But I really want to go for a metal bracelet, since they are more comfortable and look better on my skinny 6 1/2 inch wrist. I've read about some people putting the SARB on a metal bracelet from watch gecko. But I feel like even those bracelets can't compete with a rep Rolex oyster bracelet.


        Comment


          #5
          You know, I never realized you can take the sel off of the seiko and put it on one of these. Interesting....
          i neve likes their clasps. But....hmmm.

          how about this... get both!

          Comment


            #6
            I loved that SARB models, have them all.
            Then I went int reps- after a while I want to wear one of my SARBs again.

            Only then I realized how bad the bracelets are.

            Kinda shocking.


            Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

            Comment


              #7
              I've owned both and I couldn't sell the SARB033 fast enough. It looks amazing in photographs, but it was underwhelming in person. A better bracelet wouldn't have made much of a difference to me. It was just a letdown. The Explorer is great in person. It's got an understated class that doesn't wear off.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Faj View Post
                I loved that SARB models, have them all.
                Then I went int reps- after a while I want to wear one of my SARBs again.

                Only then I realized how bad the bracelets are.

                Kinda shocking.
                Originally posted by Doc_Savage View Post
                I've owned both and I couldn't sell the SARB033 fast enough. It looks amazing in photographs, but it was underwhelming in person. A better bracelet wouldn't have made much of a difference to me. It was just a letdown. The Explorer is great in person. It's got an understated class that doesn't wear off.
                Thanks guys, that's 2 points for the Rolex Explorer. The explorer sounds like the better choice to start off with, if the explorer doesn't satisfy me, I guess the SARB won't either. Buying a gen watch and having to mod it with another steel bracelet, maybe another crystal and still risking a not perfect fit on my skinny wrist, also doesn't feel like the real deal. A rep sounds like the better choice, which is at least superior from a design/technical point of view.

                The only advantage of the SARB, is for me the smaller case size (38 vs 39 mm) and lug-to-lug length (46.5 vs 47.5 mm) since I have skinny 6 1/2 inch wrist. But I guess that 1 mm difference won't be noticeable since I can also wear the 40mm submariner just fine.

                I will go for the Explorer from BP, and will place a review after receiving the watch .




                Comment


                  #9
                  I bought a seiko 5 just for fun and the quality is insane for under $150, movement out of the box was only 5 minutes fast after like 2-3 months, the end links are super tight (little bit of side to side) movement is easy to work on. +1 for the seiko. My arf SD has similar quality I'd say but it's $300 more and isn't "water resistant".

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by sn95 View Post
                    I bought a seiko 5 just for fun and the quality is insane for under $150, movement out of the box was only 5 minutes fast after like 2-3 months, the end links are super tight (little bit of side to side) movement is easy to work on. +1 for the seiko. My arf SD has similar quality I'd say but it's $300 more and isn't "water resistant".
                    You got extremely lucky then

                    Seiko 5 movements are known to work on the extremes----> extremely accurate or extremely inaccurate

                    I believe my SNZF Seiko 5 is inaccurate by minutes per day. I've tried regulating it to no success and I'm pretty sure its not magnetized

                    Pretty much I won't touch the Seiko 5 line ever again and prefer turtles and samurais for just a little bit more on the used market. Got both my PADI Turtle and Orange Samurai for under $200 each.
                    Last edited by overmind3p4c; 12-06-19, 20:20.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by overmind3p4c View Post

                      You got extremely lucky then

                      Seiko 5 movements are known to work on the extremes----> extremely accurate or extremely inaccurate

                      I believe my SNZF Seiko 5 is inaccurate by minutes per day. I've tried regulating it to no success and I'm pretty sure its not magnetized

                      Pretty much I won't touch the Seiko 5 line ever again and prefer turtles and samurais for just a little bit more on the used market. Got both my PADI Turtle and Orange Samurai for under $200 each.
                      Weird, I bought 2. One as a gift for my father and they're both accurate.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by sn95 View Post

                        Weird, I bought 2. One as a gift for my father and they're both accurate.
                        Could be that I have a really bad one, just checked, gain 15 mins in 1 day

                        Go to google and just type in seiko 5 run and see all the auto fills, seiko 5s running poorly is quite a common occurrence, but again, there are so many sold so im sure many are pretty accurate too

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X